PDA

View Full Version : Futaba gearbox ratchet

mikesinden
03-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Hi everyone, hoping someone can help, I have a futaba 4exa and Im building a knight hauler, I've got the shift gate but was wondering is it possible to fit, modify or buy a ratchet for the left to right movement of the left stick so it stays in the correct location for gears ?
Many thanks in advance
Mike ( virgin newbie)

Espeefan
03-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Mike, welcome to the forum. I'd say that's possible. After all the airplane radios have racheting throttle sticks. One would just need to get in touch with Futaba and ask them for the parts to do the conversion. I've converted radios the other way. From rachet to spring loaded neutral, but not the other way around. Most radios have the ability to be converted. The rachet mechanism is usually inside the radio, from the factory. You just need the metal clip, to engage the racheting part of the stick.

mikesinden
03-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi
Thanks for the reply, I've had the back off and yes, adding a ratchet for the throttle would be easy as it has a half moon corrugated piece of plastic that the metal sits on.
However, the left to right movement has a flat surface on so I can't simple attached a ratchet plate.
I think I need more !!!!
As you say, ill email futaba.
Thank you again
Mike

Espeefan
03-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Ahh, I apologize for not reading your orignal post close enough. You want to add the rachet mechanism to the left and right stick movement, and for that, I am not sure it can be done. Perhaps Futaba will have the answer for you! Good luck.

On another note, I know your radio probably does not have a three position toggle switch, but that would be an ideal way to shift, and hold the gear selection. Many of the radios with 6 channels and up do have toggle switches. It might be worth upgrading your radio at some point in the future, if you can afford it! You can never have to many channels either.

mikesinden
04-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Thank you for that, I'm unsure if I have a three way toggle, I will certainly look, that soundstage perfect answer.
I have spoken to Futaba, sadly the answer was no.

Having looked at the set up now in more detail, I have considered buying a very fine gear wheel,cutting it in half and gluing it to the square set up of the left -right stick, there is a pole and hole already for attaching the metal ratchet, might work, might not, might try, might not,lol,tough one ......
Thanks again
Mike