PDA

View Full Version : New Company? LMK if interested

BigZracingRC
10-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey guys! I've been in the hobby for about 5 years now, and I've got some things to run by your guys....
If I were to start a website that would sell Tamiya parts and trailers etc., making replacements, aftermarket, and other parts along with doing custom cnc machining for people, and making trailers of all varieties, and also making rims and in the future, maybe driven axles, would you all be interested? and support the business? or you guys gonna stick with PMD? I'm just putting it out there, its an idea that I've had for a while now, and I have designed over 20 products, but before I make this investment, I want to see if it is worth it. My goal is to get us hobbyist's parts cheaper, because I'm not interested in ripping people off to make a huge profit. My biggest struggle in this hobby has been being able to afford the parts and products, and i have resources that can help me make these products cheaper....JUST A FEELER! No guarantees just want to know your all's opinions! and let me know any other products/services you guys need! I'v also been considering if we could have a nice truck layout like the awesome ones in denmark, germany, norway, and places like that.....let me have your opinions!

Thanks

Zach Jenkins

rappy
10-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi mate i am in australia and we dont have much here at all sounds good give it a go i woud buy if you will ship to australia and the price is right

roadranger
10-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Variety and competition is always good...

I think if you can offer Tamiya parts consistently, and offer custom built trailers and trailer kits, along with aftermarket parts, you should do well.
Another untapped market is styrene truck cab kits, like Mack R models, Peterbilt 379's and cabovers, KW T-800 and cabovers, Brockways, Ford Louisvilles.

In defence of PMD, a lot of his stuff comes from Germany and is expensive to start with.
A lot of the locally made small run custom parts like air cleaners, battery box/steps, and Budd wheels are just as expensive...

Finster
10-10-2010, 05:57 PM
I would support it/you if you made quality stuff that I wanted at a fair price.

Tamiya Cowboy
10-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Big Z please speak with Freddy the ball is already rolling on this issue..

A32Limited
10-10-2010, 07:38 PM
I'd support it! For sure.

nenard
10-11-2010, 04:39 AM
Wouldnt hurt to have another place for parts. The quality is more important to me than price. You get what you pay for.

FreddyGearDrive
10-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Like Paul said,this is were our plans are headed. Right now have a guy setting up a store front for all of the guys that make this & that & need a place to sell there handy work. Also plan on kissin some big company butts,to see if they'll let use sell there products. But don't want to approach them till the store has been up & running for awhile & they can see we are serious about sellin there products. Don't want to contact them w/a bunch of talk & no proof of how serious we are.
For the last 4 years I've been buildin proto types & postin them to see how you boys like them.Then if it seems to be a hit they go into autocad & one is made. So far I have about 20 proto types ready for production.
Also a list of Gents that make stuff,that will be sold on the store front.
Our hopes are to make this the one stop place to buy your rc semi & constuction parts.
Now this plan should work just fine as long as no one gets GREEDY!

One problem we are havin,is figuring how to get this all together so everyone is happy all the way around the table.
My hopes were for the forum to not cost me out of pocket,& make some doe so we can better the forum.Offer high quality parts at a decent price.
& hopefully make enough so this forum can put on a show once or twice a year.I'm not talkin the high priced hotel gig, A pile of dirt,some stone,road ways & a roof or tent over our heads!
Hope to make this dream a reality by the first of the new year.
Want all of our duckies in a row before the store opens. Can't see rushing this & have a half *** store front that doesn't run smooth,& pisses people off.Because it takes forever to get your order,or something else like wrong parts.
So if anyone has suggestions on how to set this up so everyone involved is happy.BY ALL MEANS,post them up,or p/m Cowboy or myself w/your ideas!
Thanks for reading this,& please be patient for a bit & it will all be a reality very soon!
FGD

Brian in PA
10-11-2010, 08:47 AM
well said, Fred!

Brian

pugs
10-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Well said Freddy and good luck on the store!

sneaky-pete
10-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Allllllllll rigggghhhhhtttttyyyyyy then!!:D
Hope this happens.

Cossett
10-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Well said Freddy and good luck on the store!

Hi Freddy,

I'll second what Jeff said :D

Cheers Cossett

Snochaser
10-11-2010, 10:33 AM
For a guy like me...... this would be a great thing if it materializes. I know being new to this side of the hobby, it can be hard to figure out what to get and where to get it. I believe this would also make the hobby grow by leaps and bounds with the ease of access to most things in one place, this would invite those not involed to become involved much much more easily.

Thanks for your hard work and input!

Ben

steamer
10-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Sounds to me, like you have everthing well in hand. I think everyone here, will be waiting in line when the front door opens!

Justinside
10-11-2010, 12:19 PM
As a newbie, it can't happen soon enough, I really want to build my own trailers to start, but not sure where to start. Some instructions would be great.

Paul

bigpipespete
11-09-2010, 06:08 PM
You bet , id support you.

td9clyde
11-09-2010, 07:09 PM
this all sounds great !!!!! can't wait kinda like to see some options on hydralic parts and construction models i think any additions to the leibeir would be great

Fireman700
11-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Freddy and All;
I think that market competition is very important. Being able to get the parts, other trailers (lowboys, heavy hauler, cattle trailers, and others), or like the snow plows. More and more it seems that guys are building trucks that are multiple function or are more than just drive around (Tow, Plow, Dump) and tug a trailer.

The idea of a store front where everything is all in one place is a great idea and will help reduce costs of the products. Plus it will allow people like me who have limited build resources to find the stuff. I look forward to this store opening.

Suggestions of one product is emergency (amber, red, blue) light bars, and chicken light kits for trailers.

M.Fischersworring
11-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi
Some of you know that I have my own Business here in Germany and I have
a few Customers in the US.
It would be very easy for me to get some Parts together which are produced here in Germany and ship them to Freddy to make them avialable for you.

I was thinking about to create a small Budget Line of Custom Parts espacially for Forum Members and Freddy can sell them in his Shop.

Just my two Cents
Michael

fhhhstix
11-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi
Some of you know that I have my own Business here in Germany and I have
a few Customers in the US.
It would be very easy for me to get some Parts together which are produced here in Germany and ship them to Freddy to make them avialable for you.

I was thinking about to create a small Budget Line of Custom Parts espacially for Forum Members and Freddy can sell them in his Shop.

Just my two Cents
Michael

Michael that would be awsome if you and Freddy get something worked out I know there are some items I would like to get my hands on as well as some of the other members here.

Travis

mog
11-10-2010, 08:57 PM
sounds good but i would hope that you will ship to Canada cus a few place i have try buying stuff off of in the U S A will not ship to Canada and will not drop ship to a U S box. if they hear anything about Canada i get a sorry we will not deal with you. or they just hang up the phone.

Bigrigger
11-12-2010, 02:54 PM
And thus....An amazing business is born....

Well, this made my day!:D You rock guys! I'd definately buy stuff from you!:D

Well, I think you guys should focus on Tamiya addons. PMD doesn't do this, and I think it would help. Having Wedicos too of course, just more Tamiya. I think there are more Tamiya guys then Wedicos, because they are more inexpensive. I didn't like having to dig through PMD's website to find Tamiya parts. Just my 2 cents.:D

I wish you guys the best! If you all teamed up, you guys would be unstoppable! One more recommendation, it would be time consuming and labor intensive, but maybe you guys could build trucks, trailers, and cut/shape cabs and parts for people? Like they say they want a KH and lowboy built for them to pick up. So you build it at a price per hour or something.

Wow, you really got me monologing.:D Great Idea! I'd definately be a customer! Good luck!;)

Keep on Truckin':cool:

sig p232
11-15-2010, 12:28 AM
If you post the link we will come. I know that I am always looking for cool custom scale stuff. Now that pulling semi's is starting to pickup in our club, everyone is looking for something new.

Nate

Izzy
11-16-2010, 07:45 PM
just the other day I read an article about a start up company - it was an online market where people could post an add for what they make - easy enough really - if you wanted to order then you would go through the usual cart and order gig - then the info would be posted out to the gent who would actually make the item then drop ship to the person who ordered. The store woner really just matched people who offer up with people who want. It's a decent way for people who build but don't wan tto have to create store fronts etc. - lots of hassle and risk ....etc......

So I like the idea of having a place for people to post what they can offer.

The big issue I can forsee - is when a guy like me would post an item then get lots of orders and then take a serious amount of time to make good. I would hate to post that I could make custom trailers then have to make somebody wait a year to get it because I can only make one at a time.... see my point ....how can we avoid over committing due to volume?????

Fireman700
11-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Izzy, in what you are suggesting it would be make a load of "stock" items prior to posting or post the quanity available. Custom items would need a notation "product is on a first come/first serve basis and time frames for delivery is dependant upon vendor/client agreement.

td9clyde
11-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Yea custom made parts are kinda hard when all you get are rough measurments

Izzy
11-18-2010, 07:34 PM
That would work out well .... I'm all for these small and large parts shops popping up ....

Longhair
11-23-2010, 10:47 AM
If shipping outside the USA is not a problem, count me in.

woodhog
11-24-2010, 04:49 PM
This kind of store will do well.coming from the crawler side of rc ,look how much it has grown just because of availabity of parts,equip,stores,etc.the cost of rigs and trailers is not that much different than a full blown comp crawler.good luck in a new venture get ready!:)

civicex5speed
12-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Compatition makes for better products. It would make prices competative and thus more affordable for anyone.
I would love to see kits made avalable too. Take some of the guess work out of building a truck when your new like me.
Best of luck

fhhhstix
12-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Compatition makes for better products. It would make prices competative and thus more affordable for anyone.
I would love to see kits made avalable too. Take some of the guess work out of building a truck when your new like me.
Best of luck

What kind of kits TAMIYA & WEDICO both offer truck kits? :confused:

Travis

civicex5speed
12-05-2010, 08:37 AM
What kind of kits TAMIYA & WEDICO both offer truck kits? :confused:

Travis

Both would be nice. But this of course would be 2x the inventory.I have no experience with WEDICO, so for me I would say Tamiya

As a newbie, I would like to see a place I can get what I need in a complete kit.

IE: If I was building the front axel assy of a truck, I could just buy this in a kit with all I need to attach to my frame rails. Or I could buy a body with all the small parts that go with it. (lights, chrome, etc). Or I could buy just what I need.

Lil Giants
12-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Sellers of ebay break down tamiya truck kits in this manner, it just takes some time to search them out... though I wonder why you'd want to do it this way? It's cheaper to buy the whole kit rather than just parts of it at a time. :confused:

Dreamweaver
12-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Sellers of ebay break down tamiya truck kits in this manner, it just takes some time to search them out... though I wonder why you'd want to do it this way? It's cheaper to buy the whole kit rather than just parts of it at a time. :confused:

Not always true, My build will use very little of the stock truck, in fact I need the front suspension, the body, the grill shell, the interior and glass, the fifth wheel and mount, and that's really it.

So for me buying a complete kit would be a waste of money.

-Mike