PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya mechanical legs - using with radio

mikesinden
04-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Hi, please help, I'm not an idiot ( well maybe ) I've just brought a knight hauler and flat bed, I'm a complete newbie to trucks, but not R/C.
Reading through the legs instructions it claims, to dismount right stick down to lower legs, I understand this, that's the easy bit, but it then says left stick forward to disconnect 5th wheel........... How ?
I thought I'd be setting left stick for gear change and motion, if I do as it claims, pushing left stick forward will simple drive the truck, where, how, does the disconnect come into it ? Should I be setting my 5th wheel servo to another channel to disengage, do I us a 'Y' joint to join both servos or is it simple MAGIC with the 1/14 fairies doing the work.
Please help.
Mammy thanks in advance.
Oh, incidentally, I do have the option of two radios, both futaba, one 4 ch one 6 ch.
mike

mikesinden
04-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Yep, I'm an idiot, just realised, it's left stick forward to drive AFTER right stick forward disconnects 5th gear ......

Stuff
04-03-2013, 12:53 PM
ah isnt this hobby great? you think thats bad, try building one using tamiy's instructions! one wrong screw and you are back tracking to find where you used the wrong one!

mikesinden
04-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Lol, I can imagine, in fact I've searched forums and found one by a chap CUSTOM RC MODELS, that helped 100% which is where I found where I was going wrong, to be honest mine is still boxed, I've built and flown planes and helicopters, sailed tugs and bigger, but this is my first truck. Reason - need something to play with when it's raining, fed up with hobbies that are weather related, least this way I can take the trailer off and still play.....

Izzy
04-04-2013, 06:00 AM
Ah - so you have found info from Willy have you - he is extremly talented and has been around a long time. does some pretty crazy stuff with the radios - especially the older ones and such.
Glad you found your way through the powered leg instructions - I myself gave up a long time ago on the standard Tamiya method for pwoered legs and the disconnect. Bu then again I had severe radio glitching issues at the time.

Good luck and welcome to mini trucking!

mikesinden
04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Thank you and thank you for the welcome, I think ill just take it slow and follow the instructions, not sure they will help though as the forums seem to believe Tamiya need to have a re-think and re-write.
I had intentions of getting the MFU but decided that'll wait for the next rig, I'm also in agreement that its incredibly old and with it not working with the new radio systems is a pain, things seem to progress at different times, radios have gone forward now its time for Tamiya electrics to catch up.

One more random question, as I said I have the choice of two radios, 4 & 6 ch, I've decided the 4 will do for the first attempt, I'm going to use my ATTACK 4vwd, question - can I buy a battery pack and charger for this ? Or do I need to keep chucking throw always into it ? If so, what and from where ?

Many thanks
Mike

Supermario
04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Hey Mike, welcome to the forum family :)

in regards to your question about batteries for the radio, I use energizer rechargeable NIMH batteries in all my radios. I get great life out of them.
I went through 4 truck battery cycles before I needed to recharge the radio batteries at the show in Indy last summer.

the thing is real simple and compact. Here is a pic of it next to a coffee table coaster......

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Kinghauler2012/Tin%20Man/image_zps17bbd164.jpeg

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Kinghauler2012/Tin%20Man/image-03_zps2c38b696.jpeg

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Kinghauler2012/Tin%20Man/image-01_zps5b38ca6b.jpeg

Also charges AAA which is what I run in my forklift....

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/Kinghauler2012/Tin%20Man/image-02_zpsdd37eb7a.jpeg

A 4 pack of AA costs 14 bucks here in Canada. The charger which comes with 4 AA cost 30 bucks to get started. I paid a little at first, but now, I pay no more :):cool:

Mario

onestepbehind
04-04-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm just a newbie too but make sure ya kick around the idea of an mfu because there are a few other options out there that you may like a lot better just make sure before ya throw that in there..... I didn't even realize there was anything other than tamiya out there until I bought my king hauler

mikesinden
04-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Thank you both, about the battery, hadn't even thought of single rechargeable ones, yep, makes complete sense. Thanks.
As for the MFU, I really don't like the tamiya one, I've just brought a light unit from OB 1, I got the simple 3.1 version for trucks, it does all I want, as I've said, my second truck will hopefully be totally pimped out, the first, I've brought truck, bearings, trailer, radio, shocks, lights and few extra little bits, I'm already into it for £ 700+ so need to build and have fun before the wallet opens again......
Really appreciate everyone's help. Hope, hope, hope it build nice, it looks like its going to be a great build, funny, but my biggest problem is which COLOUR..... Want a two tone but don't know what, green and cream keeps jumping out at me.
Mike