PDA

View Full Version : tamiya differential interchangeability - ???

Dunga_CZE
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Hi guys!!
Does anybody knows if the tamiya diff gears are interchangeable?

To be precise, I'm talking about putting these gears into the TLT1 or 1/14 truck axles.

http://www.liquidrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2681702_140&products_id=47411

http://www.rcjpg.com/fu1xsa0muk0coh6uez6d/101777.jpg?a=b

Stuff
04-05-2013, 02:44 PM
looks like the gears in the diffs. i built some yesterday lol

cdm
04-05-2013, 09:20 PM
yes they are the same in most models (hummer is different, some of the touring and rally cars too). but trucks, offroad vehicles even in the tanks (leopard 2) use the same differential unit.

same for the shaft splines that plug into it.

Dunga_CZE
04-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Great CDM, thanks a lot!! ;)

Lmackattack
04-13-2013, 12:12 AM
Did anyone make aftermarket locked diffs. I found that my truck made it thru the off road much better when I modded the factory diff to be in full lock.

WhiteWolf McBride
04-13-2013, 02:40 AM
Lmack,

Easiest & cheapest way to lock up those Tamiya spider diff's is to use a spare bevel and place it between two of the three others in the diff, then re-assemble the diff. Also means you can unlock it at any time, or if you sell the axle, the next person can do it easily w/o having to muck about with removing epoxy/JB-weld/whatever.

I also remember that OutcastRC (member I knew from the MakingTrax forum) experimented with superheavyweight grease in the diff of his Blizzard, sommat like 20 thou? Mebbe he'd chime in, or you could PM him. This option would allow something to give before anything snapped...

WhiteWolf

doodlebug
04-13-2013, 10:40 AM
LilGiants Joe uses shoe goo in his diff's, go through his basement thread.
Cheers, Neil.

Lmackattack
04-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Ok good to know I'm not the only one who does this.... It was one of my first mods after I bought the truck. I like the heavy grease idea. Maybe I should full lock the forward diff and put thick grease in the rear rear tandem..I like to pull with heavy weight on my trailer so traction is needed when I'm in the dirt. . Thanks for the tips..

diesel950
04-13-2013, 12:04 PM
another option is to use blu-tack instead of grease, in one of mine front diff is locked with bevel gears and the rear has blu-tack.
also i have removed the shockies from it so it gets better axle movement
on rough ground.

outcastrc
04-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Blu-tack is great is your after a limited slip diff, it doesn't dry up over time. I mixed in a bit of lithium grease to make a slick toothpaste. Makes a great limited slip.

Lmackattack
04-14-2013, 12:16 AM
I just took apart both my axels and found both diffs had stripped teeth. So...I just bought some tamiya lockers on eBay. Looks like they will work in the kh...also bought Rc4wd driveshafts to help with the slop in the driveline.

grumpygrady
04-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Ok good to know I'm not the only one who does this.... It was one of my first mods after I bought the truck. I like the heavy grease idea. Maybe I should full lock the forward diff and put thick grease in the rear rear tandem..I like to pull with heavy weight on my trailer so traction is needed when I'm in the dirt. . Thanks for the tips..

A locked front axle makes it real hard to turn ,something has to slide or something breaks

cosworth34677
04-14-2013, 02:29 PM
A locked front axle makes it real hard to turn ,something has to slide or something breaks

^^this!!
you know also there is a thread on scale 4x4 where a i guy made a locker out of his stock tamiya diffs. i keep saying it but a ball diff like in a touring car would the right thing for a truck diff, not only could you crank it down and lock it you can tune the l.s.d action, i know when i was racing this is how you would help out your traction you tightened the front and softend the back and you could get more a fwd car feel and perfomance. so im thinking in a truck it would give you just enough dif action ti slip on hard high traction areas