PDA

View Full Version : Radio

Justinside
10-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi all

Being new to this, I have asked some of the local stores but I am getting various answers. So I thought I would ask the pro's

What radio would you suggest for a Tamiya King Hauler, I will be adding lights and sound down the road. Also what servos would be best also

Thanks

Paul

trucker n
10-11-2010, 06:26 PM
for the radio i would use the airtronics rds 8000:)

Justinside
10-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Trucker N

Thank you, how many Channels?

Paul

trucker n
10-11-2010, 07:43 PM
IT IS 8 CHANEL so you have room for extra items:)

fhhhstix
10-11-2010, 11:11 PM
For servos try this link.

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=74

Justinside
10-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks

Where are most you buying your parts, online or at local stores?

Cheers

Paul

Espeefan
10-12-2010, 01:02 AM
You'll see there are a lot of options out there for radios. Everybody runs something different. Personally, I don't much care for Airtronics, but it's a common choice, mostly because I think PMD started selling them along with the truck kits. I'm a bigger fan of Futaba radios, but rather then suggest a specific brand, I will just say make sure you get yourself a radio that uses 2.4 giga-hertz spread spectrum technology. Depending on how many channels you think you need, I'd make a selection based on that too. You'll find 4 to 14 channel radios out there. The more channels, the more they cost. Radios aren't really an item to skimp on. Radio gear and electronics for these models are more of an investment. Get the best you can afford. Even if you sell your models off later, you can keep the radio gear and use it again on another model.

If you are looking for a radio with more then 4 channels, you'll almost be stuck with a stick radio. Nothing wrong with that, unless you are already used to the pistol grip radios, from previous RC experience. Another really good thing to look for in a radio is one that has 3 position toggle switch. Very handy for shifting the gears on a 3 speed transmission. Most, but not all stick radios have a 3 position switch that can be assigned to a channel.

One other thing that is really nice, is a radio that comes with it's own battery pack and charger. Most these days do, especially the radios with more then 4 channels, but buying AA batteries gets old, so keep an eye out for that too. It's a pretty sure bet that any radio you will be looking at will have it's own battery pack, as you'll be looking at the higher end models.

You've got plenty of choices. Futaba, HiTec, Spektrum, JR, and Airtronics are all brands you can consider. It's good to stick with something more mainstream, so that if you run into problems programming the radio, or setting it up, you can ask for help. I would make a selection based on what you feel is more comfortable and easy to use for you. Check out a local shop, so you can feel the radio and decide if it's good for you. Flip the switches and maybe even turn it on, if you can, to check out the navigation of the menus. Trucks don't really make use of most radio programming functions, beyond the basic menus, like model naming, model selection, channel assignments, end point adjustments, sub-trim, switch and stick to channel assignments, and servo reversing, but you may find some channel mixes useful. At this level, a lot of the stick radios have more features then you'll really need, but if you really want 8 channels or more, you get those capabilities with the price, regardless!

Justinside
10-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Espeefan

Thank you, great advise. I prefer the stick style, so thats good. I have been looking at the Specktrum radios, I was thinking of a six channel, will that be enough to run the truck, lights and sound? Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks again

Paul

Espeefan
10-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi Paul,

It really depends what you think you would like to run. Right off the top of my head, you'd use one channel for steering, one for throttle, and one for shifting, so that's three channels. That leaves you three more, for anything you might like. Most sound units are tied into the throttle channel, so the engine sounds increase with the load or speed of the truck. You could use those extra channels for running a dump trailer, lights, and maybe a 5th wheel coupler servo. One thing is you can never seem to have enough channels for these types of trucks, so get the most you can afford. :D If 6 channels is within your budget, then go for it. Or maybe check out Spektrum's 7 channel radios and see how much of a price increase it is. Might be worth it.

Justinside
10-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Will do, thanks for the advice.

Paul

fhhhstix
10-12-2010, 09:00 PM
If you are going with a spectrum radio get the DX7 it has a 3 pos switch that you can use for the shift the DX6I does not have a 3 pos just a 2 pos.:cool:

Travis

Espeefan
10-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Agreed. I'm not to firmilar with the Spektrum radios, but if the 7 channel comes with the 3 position switch, then you will want to get that one over a 6 channel.

DPD327
10-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Paul,

I use the Futaba 4EXA for all my trucks (as we discussed yesterday). I don't think that the Airtronics ???8000 will work so research that carefully. It is a 2.4 Ghz radio.

Also the 4EXA is four channel and should meet your need perfectly. On the left stick (up and down controls speed in forward and reverse), left to right on the left stick is gear shifting. On the right stick, left to right is your steering. With my trucks, which utilize the MFU, Up is horn or aux lighting and down is lights and some other functions if you have motorized support legs.

Jim

trucker n
10-26-2010, 07:50 PM
there is a dx5e on rc rockcrawler .com with receiver for 60 dollars:)

cummingsman29
10-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Airtroncis rds 8000 is a great radio I now have one for all my trucks very happy with the way it works the trucks and mfu!

IDontKnow
10-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Yes, I have found the Airtronics RDS8000 a great radio, works perfectly with the Tamiya MFU, the only complaint I had was the poor battery life of the supplied NiCd.
Swapped him out for a 2800maH NiMh and it goods for all day and then some!

cummingsman29
10-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Yes that is the only downfall, don't know why they did it with such a cheap battery

aseejr
11-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Probably a little late on this one but was frequenting the other forum before hand. But this is what I know now.

Spektrum DX7, DX8 and JR9303 will work with Tamiya's MFU unit provided you use the correct receivers. Spektrum's AR6110 or AR6110E receivers will NOT work. I am using Spektrum's AR8000 and JR's R921 with no issues. Everything works with the MFU. One thing I would like to add (matter of personal preference), using a transmitter with 3 position switch is really nice. That way shifting is done using a 3 position switch.

aseejr
11-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Another thing to add: A few have said that the MFU will not work with a radio that has electronic trims, NOT TRUE. The DX8 and JR9303 has them and they work flawlessly!

fhhhstix
11-09-2010, 09:53 PM
You are welcome aseejr I am the one who helped you out on scale. I am glad the spectrum worked out for you. :D

Travis

aseejr
11-10-2010, 02:40 AM
Yes. And thank you very much. This sure is another addicting hobby. First there were the race trucks (not over it yet), then the airplanes (not over it yet), then helicopters (over it now but have 6 of them), then crawlers (not over it yet), NOW trucks, semis, and equipment.

I need help. LOL.

Oh yeah it is all about the camaraderie!!!!

Darkrider
01-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Def some great info in here!! I have one question though Does the Airtronics RDS 8000 have a 3 pos switch on it that can be used for shifting? I dont mind getting a Mode 2 (ratcheting left stick) configured radio if not but i would prefer to get the crawler version if it does. the Crawler version has both sticks self centering which would work perfectly if i wanted to use a winch on one of them. Im looking at this radio not only for semis but for other rigs as well such as my 2 scale trucks and the Tundra 1 Tonne im starting the build of next month.

IDontKnow
01-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Yes The RDS8000 does have a s position switch (I run one)!
Also, don't be too concerned about mode 1 or 2 as with a bit of tinkering on the inside with the cams and springs you can convert one to the other.

Darkrider
01-08-2011, 09:49 AM
5 position switch you say? hmmm perfect for shifting a rig...nice! The version im looking at on *** hobby is the crawler version with both sticks self centering. But now that i know its got a 5 pos switch i can def use that on semis for the trans and on my tube crawler for its dig. while being able to run the winches on my scale trucks with the up and down motion on the left stick and be able to steer at the same time to recover from getting stuck. Looks like im gonna be ordering one very soon!

IDontKnow
01-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Hmmm
Lets try that again!
It has a "3" position switch!
Sorry about that!

Darkrider
01-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Hmmm
Lets try that again!
It has a "3" position switch!
Sorry about that!

No worries man, i looked up the manual from the RD8000 that came before it and seen the info on the "Flap" switch. So it looks like i will be ordering one in very soon!

petermoblin
05-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Sorry to dig this old thread up, but I have a few questions I would like to have cleared up. Can these new 2.4s be used as both surface and air radios and will the 92824 receiver supplied with the rds8000 radio work with tamiyas mfu?

fhhhstix
05-22-2011, 10:44 PM
Yes the 2.4 can be used for surface, spectrum even advertises the new DX10 to be used for air, surface, and marine. The rds should work fine with the MFU and if you have any questions on how to get it to work with that radio PM rcfarmer he has good success with the rds and the MFU.

Travis

petermoblin
05-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.:D