PDA

View Full Version : My first piece of equipment - Carson Track Loader

Espeefan
04-30-2013, 02:06 AM
After watching countless youtube videos, and drooling over everyone else's construction machines, I finally have one of my own. :D I never thought I would actually buy one, but here I am. My new track loader just arrived today, after a month's journey across the big pond! I can't wait to start building it. This is going to be a lot of fun!

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p631/espeefan4449/Carson%20Track%20Loader/ChristmasinApril_zps577a8e1e.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/espeefan4449/media/Carson%20Track%20Loader/ChristmasinApril_zps577a8e1e.jpg.html)

buzzy16
04-30-2013, 02:32 AM
Can't wait to see the build, I'm currently saving for one of these, hopefully I don't have to save for too long though.
Goodluck with the build.

Ulrich
04-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Hi Nathan,
congrats on the loader. It´s really a nice peace of equipment. Mine has some hours on the clock and I´m still happy with the purchase. As I see you the servonaut M220 as well. Be carefull whilst connecting. You have to mirror one of the motors. One drivechannel has a 100%, the other one just 50%. It does run anyway, but really slow. I just tell because me and two other guys over here made se same mistake.:D

bye
Ulrich

titandigs
04-30-2013, 06:57 AM
After watching countless youtube videos, and drooling over everyone else's construction machines, I finally have one of my own. :D I never thought I would actually buy one, but here I am. My new track loader just arrived today, after a month's journey across the big pond! I can't wait to start building it. This is going to be a lot of fun!

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p631/espeefan4449/Carson%20Track%20Loader/ChristmasinApril_zps577a8e1e.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/espeefan4449/media/Carson%20Track%20Loader/ChristmasinApril_zps577a8e1e.jpg.html)

Good luck with your track loader, I also have looked at these machines with envy. I was lucky enough to be at the Dortmund fair in Germany this month. I was able to see the model running and have a go with it. So now I have it in Australia and like you are looking forward to digging some dirt. I have ordered the original paint colour from Leibbherr which should be here in two weeks, then let the digging begin.
Paul

ihbuilder
04-30-2013, 07:17 AM
:jaw::jaw::p oh boy now the needle will be sittin on the shelf for the next few years :rolleyes::p:p:p JK , congrats Nate , now build er up .

Kaf343
04-30-2013, 07:40 AM
Congratulations Nate, I can't wait to see what you do with it. I'm sure it's going to be a master piece just like everything else you build. We will be watching this build.

tc1cat
04-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Congrats Nathan!! Glad you got one :mad: My deal for one fell thru so I am back to saving for something with tracks and a bucket.

NYHowie
04-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Nathan, How much to have it sitting there? I can not figure out the euro conversion.

Claus
04-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Hey Nathan, I can't wait to see your Green and Yellow John Deere version! Are you getting the ripper too?

SmallHaul
04-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Congrats Nathan! Looking forward to seeing it come together.

RCP57
04-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Nice! You're gonna finish the KW first though right:rolleyes:....Guess you need to build that old-school dump you were talking about for the needle nose for sure now.:D

Espeefan
04-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Can't wait to see the build, I'm currently saving for one of these, hopefully I don't have to save for too long though.
Goodluck with the build.

Thanks buzzy! Getting over the sticker shock is a little tough, but out of all the models available, I don't think there is a better entry level machine.

Congratulations!! Looks awesome.

Thanks thuangs!

Hi Nathan,
congrats on the loader. It´s really a nice peace of equipment. Mine has some hours on the clock and I´m still happy with the purchase. As I see you the servonaut M220 as well. Be carefull whilst connecting. You have to mirror one of the motors. One drivechannel has a 100%, the other one just 50%. It does run anyway, but really slow. I just tell because me and two other guys over here made se same mistake.:D

bye
Ulrich

Hi Ulrich, thanks for the advice! I will keep that in mind. I'm curious how you have your channels set up. What sticks are assigned to the tracks and loader? I haven't read the M220 manual yet, so I'm not sure if I can run the track functions on one stick, and the bucket/loader on the other. I think that is how I would like to do it, if possible.

Good luck with your track loader, I also have looked at these machines with envy. I was lucky enough to be at the Dortmund fair in Germany this month. I was able to see the model running and have a go with it. So now I have it in Australia and like you are looking forward to digging some dirt. I have ordered the original paint colour from Leibbherr which should be here in two weeks, then let the digging begin.
Paul

Thank you Paul! When I first saw these models being built by other members, I did some research, I realized if I could only buy one piece of equipment, this would be the one. It's just the most affordable, functional model out there right now.

:jaw::jaw::p oh boy now the needle will be sittin on the shelf for the next few years :rolleyes::p:p:p JK , congrats Nate , now build er up .

Ha ha, Steve, yes, probably! But I hope not! I am not sure if I will finish the Kenworth first, before digging into the Carson, but I would like to get both of them running!

Congratulations Nate, I can't wait to see what you do with it. I'm sure it's going to be a master piece just like everything else you build. We will be watching this build.

Thanks Keith! I hope you share some build photos of your Carason track loader as well!

Congrats Nathan!! Glad you got one :mad: My deal for one fell thru so I am back to saving for something with tracks and a bucket.

Thank you Lynn! I figured I have been spending a bit less money on the hobby then usual, so why not splurge a little, this one time!

Nathan, How much to have it sitting there? I can not figure out the euro conversion.

NYHowie, I hate to throw numbers around in this thread, so I will PM you in a bit!

Hey Nathan, I can't wait to see your Green and Yellow John Deere version! Are you getting the ripper too?

Thanks Craig! Green and yellow? I hope not! Grey and yellow, with a Deere emblem, will be a tough enough pill for an International Harvester fan to swallow, but I have always thought the Deere machines look sharp. Love the chrome stacks they all have! On the ripper, I am not sure yet! It would be cool to have, but I don't know that I would use it much.

Congrats Nathan! Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Thanks Scott! Me too.

Nice! You're gonna finish the KW first though right:rolleyes:....Guess you need to build that old-school dump you were talking about for the needle nose for sure now.:D

Reg, I think I suffer from some kind of modeling ADD. Yes, I will keep plugging away at the Kenworth! Man, now I'm going to have to build a trailer. Maybe two. End dump and something to haul this loader around. Snowball effect! Looking at this track loader kit, the majority of assembly work deals mostly with the cab. A lot of the model is metal, welded together, in rather large, and finished sub-assemblies. I was surprised.

Straywolf
04-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Congrats on your loader i can't wait to see the build pics on this!!!

Mike

Stefan
04-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Congrats from me too, Nathan. Seeing all these nice models you guys have and the ones coming up soon (read THS Volvo) I feel really tempted to buy one or two myself - even in the wrong scale :D:D:D Maybe I could use the children as an alibi :rolleyes:.

Stefan

JDH429
04-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Nate, its finally here! That month must have seemed like 3. I'm excited for you and cant wait to see the build. Congrats!

tracksntreadslou
04-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Whoo Hoo..Congrats Nate ..Nice ..Pretty pumped when that arrived at the door huh..Big trouble now because you cant top at one peice ..haha ..have fun building

Mitch
05-01-2013, 08:16 PM
M220 :
> Battery and motor should be no problem.
> Connect the yellow wires to the right motor.
> Connect the blue wires to the left motor.
> Look at the option table and find the correct jumper setting for
> your battery (A B C).
> Turn your M220 around and set (X) or remove ( ) the small black
> option jumpers A B C accordingly.
> Connect the upper cable "Driving" with blue servo plug into the up/
> down receiver channel you want to use for driving.
> Connect the lower cable "Steering" with black servo plug into the
> left/right receiver channel of the same stick, important!
> (you might change this after setup/programming)
> Connect the brake and rev. lights, you need them later on for
> programming.
>
> M220 programming :
> Turn off the M220.
> Turn on the radio.
> Hold the stick in the lower left position.
> Now turn on the M220. It will blink 3 times.
> Move the stick to the upper right position and wait. The M220 will
> blink 1x.
> Release the stick to the middle and wait. The M220 will blink 1x.
> Move the stick up. The M220 will blink and is ready.
> You only need to do this once. You might repeat it if necessary.
>
> Now move the stick carefully forward. The model should drive
> forward, otherwise swap the connections at the motor.
>Hope this helps !

Mitch

Supermario
05-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Congrats Nathan you lucky dog!:cool:
I agree with others....finish the needle first, then you can play with the spoon:D. Lol
Looking forward to another Sweet,Perfect build.....;):cool::D

Mario

dabears
05-01-2013, 11:23 PM
:jaw: Lucky!!! Wish I had one!!!! im sure you'll find some way to add something cool to this kit!!

Ulrich
05-02-2013, 09:39 AM
...so I'm not sure if I can run the track functions on one stick, and the bucket/loader on the other. I think that is how I would like to do it, if possible.

That´s the setup I drive. The left stick is acceleration and steering, the right one for the arm/bucket. I also used a mixer to combine the channels hyd valve (f.e.3+4) with the one off the pump(f.e.5). So if I move the right stick the pumps rpm rises proportional. That saves a lot of battery. If I want constant hyd pressure I can set the rpm with an prop channel.

bye
Ulrich

JAMMER
05-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Nathan I must say when you do something you go all out. The only thing that I can is missing is the pump control to shut it down when not in use. Ed

Espeefan
05-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Congrats on your loader i can't wait to see the build pics on this!!!

Mike

Thanks Mike!

Congrats from me too, Nathan. Seeing all these nice models you guys have and the ones coming up soon (read THS Volvo) I feel really tempted to buy one or two myself - even in the wrong scale :D:D:D Maybe I could use the children as an alibi :rolleyes:.

Stefan

Thanks Stefan! As much as I love to look at the THS models, there just isn't any way I can spend as much as I need to buy one of those beautiful Volvo models! I will 100% happy with much more affordable Carson! I feel very fortunate to have even purchased this one.

Nate, its finally here! That month must have seemed like 3. I'm excited for you and cant wait to see the build. Congrats!

Thank you Jason! I'm pretty excited too, but I'm thinking one thing at a time. I still have a truck to try and finish, and it's getting close.

Whoo Hoo..Congrats Nate ..Nice ..Pretty pumped when that arrived at the door huh..Big trouble now because you cant top at one peice ..haha ..have fun building

Thanks Lou! I was pretty excited. I checked the tracking number for the package every day....sometimes multiple times a day. :D I think I will be able to limit myself to one piece of equipment. I had wanted a loader for a long time. Trouble is, now I need a dump trailer, and a lowboy to haul the loader. But I think I can be quite happy with one loader. I need to think more about my future, and save money for other things!

M220 :
> Battery and motor should be no problem.
> Connect the yellow wires to the right motor.
> Connect the blue wires to the left motor.
> Look at the option table and find the correct jumper setting for
> your battery (A B C).
> Turn your M220 around and set (X) or remove ( ) the small black
> option jumpers A B C accordingly.
> Connect the upper cable "Driving" with blue servo plug into the up/
> down receiver channel you want to use for driving.
> Connect the lower cable "Steering" with black servo plug into the
> left/right receiver channel of the same stick, important!
> (you might change this after setup/programming)
> Connect the brake and rev. lights, you need them later on for
> programming.
>
> M220 programming :
> Turn off the M220.
> Turn on the radio.
> Hold the stick in the lower left position.
> Now turn on the M220. It will blink 3 times.
> Move the stick to the upper right position and wait. The M220 will
> blink 1x.
> Release the stick to the middle and wait. The M220 will blink 1x.
> Move the stick up. The M220 will blink and is ready.
> You only need to do this once. You might repeat it if necessary.
>
> Now move the stick carefully forward. The model should drive
> forward, otherwise swap the connections at the motor.
>Hope this helps !

Mitch

Thanks Mitch! I had been looking at the Servonaut manuals online, and even did some translations. Thanks for posting that here! Now I can reference it easier. Any word on your track loader? I know you bought one too.

Congrats Nathan you lucky dog!:cool:
I agree with others....finish the needle first, then you can play with the spoon:D. Lol
Looking forward to another Sweet,Perfect build.....;):cool::D

Mario

Thanks Mario! Yes, I'm still working on the Kenworth. I might take a break, now and then, to at least look at the parts for the Carson. :D I can stare at them, and imagine it as a completed model!

:jaw: Lucky!!! Wish I had one!!!! im sure you'll find some way to add something cool to this kit!!

Aaron, thanks! I think the beauty of this model is that there really isn't much more it needs. It will be really nice to simply build a model. :D The detail is awesome, it's very scale, and I like the looks of it, as it is stock. I can't say I will find myself machining any extra parts for this one. I might do a few little custom touches, but that's in the details.

That´s the setup I drive. The left stick is acceleration and steering, the right one for the arm/bucket. I also used a mixer to combine the channels hyd valve (f.e.3+4) with the one off the pump(f.e.5). So if I move the right stick the pumps rpm rises proportional. That saves a lot of battery. If I want constant hyd pressure I can set the rpm with an prop channel.

bye
Ulrich

Thanks for the explaination, Ulrich! That's perfect, as I was hoping I could drive and steer the tracks with one stick, and control the loader and bucket with the other. Question now is, should pushing the stick left curl the bucket in, and stick to the right to dump it? :D

Nathan I must say when you do something you go all out. The only thing that I can is missing is the pump control to shut it down when not in use. Ed

Thanks Ed. I didn't quite go all out. Had I done that, I would have gotten metal tracks, metal bucket teeth, and the ripper kit. I wasn't sure I liked the ripper that much. The shanks look like plastic? Wasn't sure I would use the ripper a whole heck of a lot, but it would be neat as eye candy.

Instead of having a pump shut off control, I'm going to mix the loader and bucket controls, in my programmable radio, to throttle and shut off the ESC for the pump. Should work a lot nicer. Just like Ulrich suggested. I know a lot of guys are running their hydraulics like this.

Snochaser
05-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Good choice and congrats Nate. If I was going to do it again I'd probably get the Carson, it functions well and has great detail for the price as compared to the scale art. I love my loader for sure but the Carson allows for more "toys" and still looks great and performs. I looked forward to the updates and meticulous detail you will put forth into your machine.

Ben

Mitch
05-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Received some of the components for the loader today, ie. Metal Tracks, SMT/M220, Drive Motors, Metal Shovel Teeth, and several other items. They sent the parts (as requested) ahead of the kit in order to lighten the load in transit. Sadly, the ever efficient U.S Customs group ripped the box apart, and everything was scattered and now needs an inventory.

doodlebug
05-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Hey Nathan, Yes move the lever left to curl, right to dump, forward for boom down, back for boom up.
Congrats on the new loader!
Cheer's, Neil.

Espeefan
05-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Good choice and congrats Nate. If I was going to do it again I'd probably get the Carson, it functions well and has great detail for the price as compared to the scale art. I love my loader for sure but the Carson allows for more "toys" and still looks great and performs. I looked forward to the updates and meticulous detail you will put forth into your machine.

Ben

Thanks Ben. I do love the Scale Art track loader too. I just couldn't swing the price. For a first machine, I knew this one would be perfect for me. Agile, great hydraulic response, not to big, and not to small. :D

Received some of the components for the loader today, ie. Metal Tracks, SMT/M220, Drive Motors, Metal Shovel Teeth, and several other items. They sent the parts (as requested) ahead of the kit in order to lighten the load in transit. Sadly, the ever efficient U.S Customs group ripped the box apart, and everything was scattered and now needs an inventory.

Mitch, sorry to hear that. Do you need to change sprockets in order to run the metal tracks? I think I will stick to the plastic tracks for now, but maybe in the future do an upgrade. Do the metal tracks re-use the pins and c-clips of the Carson model?

Hey Nathan, Yes move the lever left to curl, right to dump, forward for boom down, back for boom up.
Congrats on the new loader!
Cheer's, Neil.

Neil, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I was correct in my thinking. I know on most skid steers and mini excavators, that's how the sticks are set up.

Mitch
05-03-2013, 06:55 PM
I think the tracks fit. If not, I am prepared to have new sprockets machined. I think you and I might start a "Friendly" competition build. Let me know what you think.;) Also, the metal tracks come with pins and sleeves.

Your friend in sport,

Mitch

Espeefan
05-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Hi Mitch, a friendly build competition? Against you? I'm afraid it'd be no competition! I've seen your builds, but okay. It's worth a shot. :D Just keep in mind I'm a really slow builder! :p

Claus
05-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Hi Mitch, a friendly build competition? Against you? I'm afraid it'd be no competition! I've seen your builds, but okay. It's worth a shot. :D Just keep in mind I'm a really slow builder! :p

Nathan, I have the feeling you are going to be working on this thing sooner and building quicker than you had planned.

Espeefan
05-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Maybe Craig! That's assuming I don't get bogged down with the details of the build! I already ordered a couple 'extras' for the track loader, and I am sure they are still a month out. I hate to build, then rebuild. I may end up waiting till I get the other goodies. Now you've got me looking at metal tracks too..... But I really should finish the Kenworth first!

doodlebug
05-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Maybe Craig! That's assuming I don't get bogged down with the details of the build! I already ordered a couple 'extras' for the track loader, and I am sure they are still a month out. I hate to build, then rebuild. I may end up waiting till I get the other goodies. Now you've got me looking at metal tracks too..... But I really should finish the Kenworth first!

"Git-Er-Done":D:D:D:D
Cheer's, Neil.

ihbuilder
05-05-2013, 08:17 AM

ahh come on you can't get any werse then me :eek: dive into it like Neil said ^^^

Stefan
05-06-2013, 03:25 PM
... I'm a really slow builder! :p

Well that´s a competition where I would stand a chance :D:D:D

Stefan

MoRockN
05-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Congrats Man!!!! now enough with the talk and lets see some build pix :)

Mitch
05-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Started metal tracks. They need "Dressing" and a little adjustment. Tracks are brittle (wish they would use better material) and therefore need a delicate hand.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg482/emspilot/IMG_0109.jpg (http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/emspilot/media/IMG_0109.jpg.html)

Mitch
05-10-2013, 10:42 PM
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg482/emspilot/IMG_0111.jpg (http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/emspilot/media/IMG_0111.jpg.html)

Mitch
05-10-2013, 10:43 PM
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg482/emspilot/IMG_0108.jpg (http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/emspilot/media/IMG_0108.jpg.html)

Mitch
05-10-2013, 10:46 PM
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg482/emspilot/IMG_0107.jpg (http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/emspilot/media/IMG_0107.jpg.html)

Claus
05-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Looking really good Mitch, do you know yet if the sprockets that come with the loader will work with those tracks?

Mitch
05-10-2013, 11:02 PM
Not sure, but I think they will. However, if not, I'll make a sprocket as I did for the Stahl Dozer.

Espeefan
05-22-2013, 12:26 PM
"Git-Er-Done":D:D:D:D
Cheer's, Neil.

ahh come on you can't get any werse then me :eek: dive into it like Neil said ^^^

Well that´s a competition where I would stand a chance :D:D:D

Stefan

Congrats Man!!!! now enough with the talk and lets see some build pix :)

Thanks guys! Well I'm going to slowly work my way into this build. I haven't started on anything yet, other than the stock plastic tracks, but after seeing Mitch's photos of the Permacon metal tracks, I might see if those will be in my track loader's future! They are nice.

Mitch, thanks for sharing those photos of the tracks as well. They get me thinking about an upgrade. The tracks do look a little soft and brittle. Are they cast from sort of pot metal?

Espeefan
05-22-2013, 12:44 PM
So, the question becomes what do you get for all your hard earned money, when you buy the Carson LR634? A pretty nice machine, actually! I've been looking over the parts and checking out the chassis. It's heavy, that's for sure. I removed the big counterweight in the rear of the chassis, just because I found I am going need to do a little touch up welding on my chassis. I don't know if it was just my luck to get one that had a few defective welds, or if they are all like this. Hit and miss? But it's not a very big deal for me to take care of the problem areas. I may even add a few extra beads, just for piece of mind.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p631/espeefan4449/Carson%20Track%20Loader/trackloaderchassis4_zps8c6e999e.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/espeefan4449/media/Carson%20Track%20Loader/trackloaderchassis4_zps8c6e999e.jpg.html)

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p631/espeefan4449/Carson%20Track%20Loader/Trackloaderchassis_zpsaa2db3fe.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/espeefan4449/media/Carson%20Track%20Loader/Trackloaderchassis_zpsaa2db3fe.jpg.html)

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p631/espeefan4449/Carson%20Track%20Loader/Trackloaderchassis2_zps8c884e3c.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/espeefan4449/media/Carson%20Track%20Loader/Trackloaderchassis2_zps8c884e3c.jpg.html)

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p631/espeefan4449/Carson%20Track%20Loader/trackloaderchassis3_zpsadc63603.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/espeefan4449/media/Carson%20Track%20Loader/trackloaderchassis3_zpsadc63603.jpg.html)

The main frame chassis is pretty nice. Looks to be laser cut steel, with tab in slot construction, and some very fine welds to hold it all together. Now for the bad..... On my chassis, there were a few places where the welds were slightly misaligned with the joints, or completely missed altogether. I am pretty pleased with the construction otherwise. It's very solid, heavy, and strong, despite a few missed weld joints.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p631/espeefan4449/Carson%20Track%20Loader/trackloaderwelds_zps240c10d6.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/espeefan4449/media/Carson%20Track%20Loader/trackloaderwelds_zps240c10d6.jpg.html)

This joint is the one that bothers me most. I could feel this part of the chassis flexing, when holding it in my hands and lightly twisting the frame where the loader arms will be. You can see the weld is to the right of the joint, missing it completely. I'm guessing the parts were not in the jig properly, so when the torch made a pass, it went right by it. I'll get this welded together properly, and I'll probably hit all the tabs in their slots too. That way I know this thing will never come apart!

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p631/espeefan4449/Carson%20Track%20Loader/trackloaderwelds2_zpsa662a124.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/espeefan4449/media/Carson%20Track%20Loader/trackloaderwelds2_zpsa662a124.jpg.html)

This one is not nearly as bad. The majority of the joint is fine. The welder just missed a short section here. For a mass produced model, that is probably welded with an automated system, a few defects are bound to pop up once in a while. It did slip past QC though! Still, I can't complain. It's a much more affordable model, produced for the common folk masses, and it's still awesome. :D

Claus
05-23-2013, 07:45 AM
It's the little things in life that bug the shyt out of you, isn't it?

JDH429
05-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Nate, thats my kind of model! Heavy duty. :D Not a biggie, Im sure its just they feel that those small areas wouldnt affect structural stability..But id feel the same way you do.

tc1cat
05-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi Nate, As I have not purchased any construction equipment yet, I am watching your build with a lot of interest. I thought that I had 1 purchased but some how between my bank and Paypal the deal fell thru. I did get my money back though- many sleepless nights!! Your attention to the details will keep me coming back for all of your updates until you finish what looks to be a great machine!

Lil Giants
05-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Geez!!! 3rd page already & you haven't assembled one piece of the kit yet. BRUTAL! :eek:

Sooo, what do suppose the ETA is before this thing sees any dirt?! :p

tc1cat
05-24-2013, 11:46 AM
At this rate it will be at least 5 pages before it sees any paint :eek::eek: let alone sign of assembly :lol: I should be the one to talk- 5 years on 1 truck and still not finished :rolleyes::rolleyes:

TRUCKMAKER
05-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Are you sure it'll only be 5 pages?:p I've been 1-1/2 years on mine, keep changing directions and now paint colors:rolleyes:.
Oh yea, Hi Nate, sorry about the high jack, so you loading dirt yet?? :drool::drool:

Espeefan
05-25-2013, 01:18 AM
It's the little things in life that bug the shyt out of you, isn't it?

Craig, yes! :D

Nate, thats my kind of model! Heavy duty. :D Not a biggie, Im sure its just they feel that those small areas wouldnt affect structural stability..But id feel the same way you do.

Jason, yeah, the model would probably be all right as is, except for that one weld that was missed completely. The outer plate that the bucket arm pin slides through is free to pull away from the other side. I suppose the pin would keep it in place too, but it bugs me this way. Otherwise, I'm quite pleased with the construction.

Hi Nate, As I have not purchased any construction equipment yet, I am watching your build with a lot of interest. I thought that I had 1 purchased but some how between my bank and Paypal the deal fell thru. I did get my money back though- many sleepless nights!! Your attention to the details will keep me coming back for all of your updates until you finish what looks to be a great machine!

Thanks Lynn! Sorry to hear your deal fell through, but I'm glad you got your money back! I appreciate the kind words.

Hi Nate, trust me yours is much better than mine. In order to get deep penetration on metal, arc welding needs to be extremely hot. All you need to do just sand it out. Midel looks really nice.
Best regards,
Kevin

Thanks for sharing that, Kevin. I guess I got one of the nice models then. I believe Carson had these frames laser welded together. I would say TIG welding would have been better, but by hand, much more time consuming. I think a little surface prep would have been good too. There is a little porosity in the welds too. I think some oil on the metal caused it. Still, minor. I'm just nit picking now.

Geez!!! 3rd page already & you haven't assembled one piece of the kit yet. BRUTAL! :eek:

Sooo, what do suppose the ETA is before this thing sees any dirt?! :p

Not true Joe! I do have both tracks assembled. :p ETA? Well it's going to be a while. The weather is getting nice. It's hard to stay in the basement, working on models, and I really would like to finish the Kenworth first. :D

At this rate it will be at least 5 pages before it sees any paint :eek::eek: let alone sign of assembly :lol: I should be the one to talk- 5 years on 1 truck and still not finished :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Probably right, Lynn! :D So you've got a life long project too? I feel a little better now.

Are you sure it'll only be 5 pages?:p I've been 1-1/2 years on mine, keep changing directions and now paint colors:rolleyes:.
Oh yea, Hi Nate, sorry about the high jack, so you loading dirt yet?? :drool::drool:

1.5 years, Kent? Man, you're fast! :D

Well, I appreciate all the views guys. It will probably be my usual snail paced build. Especially with summer coming.

ihbuilder
05-25-2013, 07:19 AM
Hey Nate , My beard is grey already :jaw::p:p:p:p:p:p

jmking
05-26-2013, 09:52 PM
If you need that welded up I could hit those welds with my tig welder. I live 12 miles east of Mosinee on 153. Pm me if your interested.