PDA

View Full Version : What Radio Do You Use?

Rvjimd
05-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Hi guys,

Just bought a new DX6i today but wonder what the rest of you use? My only complaint with the 6i is there is NOT any rate control or centering on the throttle stick. I wanted to use the radio with my new dragline, and I would have used the throttle stick as the hoist but without the centering function it means you need to be very careful when you stop the stick in the center, otherwise the hoist drum will continue turning! Also, without rate control on this channel it makes it hard to slow down the sensitivity to where I want it.

I looked at the 7 and the 8i models but didn't really need all that extra stuff ( as in, wow that is a lot more money) , and I'm not sure they would have resolved the throttle issue.

Are you guys using a surface based radio designed more for the task?

Thanks,

Jim

fhhhstix
05-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Jim I have the DX6, DX7, DX8, and DX10. I like the spectrum radios for all that they will do. The 8 and 10 have the ability to center the throttle built in but the 6 and 7 have to be sent to Spectrum to have it done and they only charge for the shipping.

By rate control I am assuming you mean EXPO. Dual Rate is the ability to have 2 different sets of end points for one channel. Expo in a sense will allow you to change the sensitivity. Like I said you can get the throttle spring loaded but the is no expo setting for the DX6 so you will just have to be easy with the stick movement or lower the end points and restrict the ability of the throttle channel.

The DX 8 would do what you want, it has the ability to change the throttle curve and you can also spring load the throttle stick your self.

Travis

cdm
05-05-2013, 01:48 AM
i find spectum to be expensive for what you get and their menus are downright brutal on the stick channels.

dx3 (the only spektrum i actually like ) dx7 and about 20 6 and 9 channel receivers linked to an aurora 9 which is my current choice.. well as of 2 years anyway.

also have a bunch of old stuff like futaba 4wd, tamiya 2 channels, losi and associated radios. but like i said i am trying to convert everything to the aurora 9 now

Rvjimd
05-05-2013, 07:22 AM
My current solution to the throttle issue was to use the rudder channel instead, so I have centering and rate control.

Travis, I guess when I say rate I mean expo. Not real sure, I think the menu says both DR/expo. I always think of expo as a changing rate of throw as the stic/servo moves. What I do is simply set the % from 100 down to 20%. This slows down the servo, and since I don't care about endpoint I can shove the sticks all the way to the stops and get smooth motion.

QUESTION TWO: has anyone rotated the entire gimbal assembly on a DX6i? I thought I would get it like I want by simply rotating the entire left stick gimbal assembly 90 degrees left or right, making the throttle left right and rudder up/down.

Jim

cosworth34677
05-05-2013, 09:33 AM
i use four type's i use a futaba t6, channel on my scania semi. and flysky 9x on my excavtor, and flysky fs-gt3b on my crawlers, touring cars and man work truck .

i had a dx6i for a few years but its dead, but anyway , you can get it converted from specktrum, or do like i did and find on ebay the gimble for a mode 1 and replace yours. or if your handy you can cut the little lever out of polystyrene and add a spring. that will help the center. i wish they wound add a d/r on the throttle not everyone use the left stick as a throttle

SmallHaul
05-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Keep your eyes out for a bad/parts spektrum radio on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spektrum-DX7-TX-for-parts-/140969893131?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item20d275dd0b

Then you can use the gimbal parts to make your throttle self centering.

Plus you'll have spare switches, screws, other hardware..this is what i do.

carp
05-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Futaba 8fg, can assign any function to any channel, not sure if you can do that with the higher end spektrum radios as i only have a dx6. My throttle stick has a ratchet on it also but ive never found it a problem when running the excavator you get used to centering it quite quickly.

Rvjimd
06-24-2013, 04:27 AM
Update that I don't think I have posted in this thread or any place else...

I was talking the the guy at the LHS about my trouble with the throttle stick and lack of fine control like is available on the other three sticks channels. (DX6i, some other DX versions may be different/better) he suggested using the Heli mode. This adds an extra option of throttle curve control under the menu system that is NOT available as a fixed wing aircraft mode.

This does allow me to create a dead band on the throttle center position and slow down the throw at the top and bottom. This is very helpful for me on the crane. I use the throttle stick for controlling the forward and reverse function on the tack drive.

Jim

Lmackattack
06-24-2013, 07:18 AM
I run the cheep rc4wd 4 channel pistol grip. I wanted a steering wheel instead of a stick.
It has a 3 position switch that I use for the transmission control. I also use their end point adjuster for the trans control for that 3 position switch. It does not have all the channels as the bug radios but I feel I have better steering and trans control.

Radio Control Trucker
06-24-2013, 03:46 PM
I've always been partial to the Futaba Skysport units (4 & 6 channel). :popcorn:

http://upic.me/i/1o/i_sv400131.jpghttp://www.helicesymotores.net/imagenes/f-6yg6chan.jpg

- RCT