PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing!!!

Supermario
05-08-2013, 10:56 PM
As you all know, I'm in the process of polishing sues trailer from Izzy.
We did our homework, got all the grades of sandpaper, pre cleaned the metal with oven cleaner for a 10 minute soak etc.
Heres the issue: I can make the aluminum look like perfect chrome finish as clear as day when you look straight at it. At various angles you can see the swirl marks and it looks like %#*¥#.
If I use mothers after , it gets rid of the swirl lines but the look is foggy and not as crisp. I have tried everything and at a point that no matter what I do, I can't get rid of the swirl and keep the clear look!
So anxious to get this trailer polished , wired and back together. I'm getting frustrated being stuck in the first step still:mad:
Here's what I been up to...
I'm using felt wheels on a dryer motor, I have 2 medium felt 1" thick 5" dia wheels stacked together for a 2 inch buffing surface. I use the black with the medium wheel. Then I switch to the same set up but with a soft felt wheel and use the white. Like I said , to look straight on at the plate it looks perfect but can see swirls from an angle. I have a small wire brush and I rake the wheel frequently, I tried one wheel only and not 2 , I tried a brand new soft wheel with no polish and just buff. I'm so close and yet I feel like I'm missing one step.......:confused:

Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated !

Mario

dabears
05-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Skip the mothers and try wax. I don't think you will ever get rid of all the marks. I never do... gotta remember its polished not chromed..

kingbob
05-09-2013, 12:29 AM
When i polished the wheels on my Prime, after all the initial polishing i used an Autosol aluminium polish. Made in germany and sold in auto parts stores for polishing wheels. Magic stuff. The wheels went from a coarse gray aluminium to an almost mirror shine. And that wss just using soft a dremel polishing bit.

Was about $7 for a tube, and i used barely any of it.

Espeefan
05-09-2013, 03:06 AM
Mario, I'm not a pro, but after all the wet sanding is done I've gotten some great results using just my Dremel and the Dremel polishing rouge, along with their white felt buffing wheels. That said, I don't think you'll ever get the aluminum to be perfect from all angles. My fenders, for example, turned out nice, but I think from the right angle some haze can be seen. I really don't notice it much.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/Espeefan/New%20Wedico%20Peterbilt%20build/Fendersfortherearaxles.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Espeefan/media/New%20Wedico%20Peterbilt%20build/Fendersfortherearaxles.jpg.html)

Here is a kit that includes the rouge and felt wheels.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=684-01

I think you're on the right path. I don't really know any tricks except to always travel in the same direction when you polish. Sounds like you are doing everything right, and I'll agree that Mother's aluminum polish seemed to give me worse results then just using the Dremel rouge with a felt wheel. Wax did the same. Something you could try is to wipe down the aluminum with Windex before you do a final polish. Ammonia cleans bare metals very well. Let us know if you ever figure this out! We could all use the tips.

Brian in PA
05-09-2013, 06:42 AM
No matter how much you polish, some small scratches will be seen from various angles. if you can, try and polish on one plane, only go one direction. this will assure that the scratches can only be seen when viewing one certain angle. This is just the nature of polishing aluminum.

tc1cat
05-09-2013, 07:48 AM
DO NOT USE ammonia on aluminum unless you plan on a completely wash and re-polish after. Ammonia attacks aluminum if left on for any length of time. This is ones of the reasons that some of the better gun cleaning chemicals should never be used on any firearm that has aluminum parts in them.

JAMMER
05-09-2013, 09:13 AM
I use ZEPHYR PRO40 and I do not notice any swirl marks. I use it on a new micro fiber rag to polish with. After I am done I throw the rag away you can't clean them good enough after once used. I then use another clean micro fiber to finish polishing and clean what is left on off. I also use a dermal with a felt wheel then the micro fiber rags. Ed

Clint307
05-09-2013, 09:30 AM
I've never had a problem with using mothers on any aluminum that I've ever polished. I've found that mothers works better when almost burnt in and buffed off. My wheels on my truck were all anodized and it took forever to polish them but they are mirror finish now and the best I've ever seen. I also use mothers on my real truck to keep the wheels polished and I drive in a coal mine every day all night long so dirty they do get!

JAMMER
05-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Eastwood has a anodize remover and it works great. Ed

Supermario
05-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Skip the mothers and try wax. I don't think you will ever get rid of all the marks. I never do... gotta remember its polished not chromed..

Your right Aaron, Mothers does not work and I was beginning to think, this is it.

When i polished the wheels on my Prime, after all the initial polishing i used an Autosol aluminium polish. Made in germany and sold in auto parts stores for polishing wheels. Magic stuff. The wheels went from a coarse gray aluminium to an almost mirror shine. And that wss just using soft a dremel polishing bit.

Was about $7 for a tube, and i used barely any of it.

I'm a big fan of Autosol. It is incredible stuff and I had a pretty decent look using it with a buffer on a 1/2 drill but it wasn't until Aaron recommend using the polish rouge a few weeks ago, that's when I got a nice clear finish. The rouge is the way to go

Mario, I'm not a pro, but after all the wet sanding is done I've gotten some great results using just my Dremel and the Dremel polishing rouge, along with their white felt buffing wheels. That said, I don't think you'll ever get the aluminum to be perfect from all angles. My fenders, for example, turned out nice, but I think from the right angle some haze can be seen. I really don't notice it much.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y127/Espeefan/New%20Wedico%20Peterbilt%20build/Fendersfortherearaxles.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Espeefan/media/New%20Wedico%20Peterbilt%20build/Fendersfortherearaxles.jpg.html)

Here is a kit that includes the rouge and felt wheels.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=684-01

I think you're on the right path. I don't really know any tricks except to always travel in the same direction when you polish. Sounds like you are doing everything right, and I'll agree that Mother's aluminum polish seemed to give me worse results then just using the Dremel rouge with a felt wheel. Wax did the same. Something you could try is to wipe down the aluminum with Windex before you do a final polish. Ammonia cleans bare metals very well. Let us know if you ever figure this out! We could all use the tips.

Thanks Nate.As I'm reading the replys, I guess it's the nature of this thin aluminum eh? Thanks for the link and I'm feeling better already. At least now I know when we bring the trailer to Indy, you gs aren't going to look at me and say, Mario, that looks terrible:eek: lol.
I will let you know how it turns out for sure. I might try getting a few pics of where I'm at but not sure I can capture in a pic.

No matter how much you polish, some small scratches will be seen from various angles. if you can, try and polish on one plane, only go one direction. this will assure that the scratches can only be seen when viewing one certain angle. This is just the nature of polishing aluminum.

Thanks Brian, I know what your saying about same direction and plane. My big issue is the size of the panels. They are 2mm thick ,30" long and almost 5" wide. The front panel which is a little thicker material turned out perfect, clear and no swirls but was much easier to run them off if you know what I mean. The side panels I've been polishing lengthways because I get a better look. It's almost like aluminum has a " grain " to it? Trying to hold and support the panel and not bend or distort it is tricky.
Hmmm, if I put a longer shaft on my motor, maybe I could try a 5" wide buffing wheel? Or maybe at least 3" wide wheel. That's one thing I haven't tried, more wheels maybe!

DO NOT USE ammonia on aluminum unless you plan on a completely wash and re-polish after. Ammonia attacks aluminum if left on for any length of time. This is ones of the reasons that some of the better gun cleaning chemicals should never be used on any firearm that has aluminum parts in them.

Thank you so much Lynn! I tried that glass cleaner Bon Ami and I'm pretty sure it has ammonia in it:eek: Fortunately it didn't help and I re polished the plate right afterwards. Good to know;)

I use ZEPHYR PRO40 and I do not notice any swirl marks. I use it on a new micro fiber rag to polish with. After I am done I throw the rag away you can't clean them good enough after once used. I then use another clean micro fiber to finish polishing and clean what is left on off. I also use a dermal with a felt wheel then the micro fiber rags. Ed

Thanks Ed. I've heard of that stuff in the past but couldn't think of the name till you mentioned it

Thanks everyone. You have all re inspired me to get back at it. With your input I have a few more things to try before I accept this as the nature of the beast.:cool:

Mario

fhhhstix
05-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Mario try the Mothers again and when your done get a clean rag. Take the clan rag and sprinkle some all purpose baking flour on it and clean the polishing residue off of the parts. No I am not joking this is how my brother and the other local drivers showed me how to do it and it works good. The local truck shop does this as well but they cheat and put the rims on a tire changer so all they have to do is hold the rag and let the machine do the work.

Travis

kingbob
05-10-2013, 12:23 AM
Mario try the Mothers again and when your done get a clean rag. Take the clan rag and sprinkle some all purpose baking flour on it and clean the polishing residue off of the parts. No I am not joking this is how my brother and the other local drivers showed me how to do it and it works good. The local truck shop does this as well but they cheat and put the rims on a tire changer so all they have to do is hold the rag and let the machine do the work.

Travis

I've heard of similar techniques using talcum powder. Probably finer than flour, so acts as a superfine abrasive polish.

Lmackattack
05-10-2013, 01:37 AM
I never had good luck with Mothers even on new truck rims that were always kept clean. To much streaking and scratching with their paste polish. I think its too harsh for final polish.
I have used them all and what I have always gone back to is White diamond.

it has a grit to it but it also has a final mirror finish to it. It really works good and its what I use on my RS700L tanks I just made.

http://www.whitediamondamerica.com/instructional-videos.html

also dont forget that when you look at a truck rim your standing 4-5' above it

with models were looking 4-5" away and will see every blemish in the aluminum!

Dreamweaver
05-10-2013, 02:19 AM
Mario Travis has hit it right on the head. I have used this trick for years on my 1:1 show truck the only difference is I use baby powder cause it is finer than flour. the haze is just left over polish sticking in the grain of the aluminum where a rag can't get it. the powder acts as a super fine grit sanding agent and pulls that out of the cracks and can sometimes even remove the fine cracks. just a nice light rub in the direction of the grain works great. also use either a microfiber rag or a cloth baby diaper any other type of material is to course and can scratch the finish.

Supermario
05-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Thank you so much Travis and Mike ! I'm sure this is the exact step I was missing and cant wait to try it. I was all stoked and set up to start on Saturday morning but the weather had other plans in mind and Im forced to wait for better weather:eek::mad:

I'm looking forward to posting pics of the successful results:)

Thanks again for sharing the tips:cool:

Mario

FlyingBeagle
05-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Once you have the aluminum polished up to a real nice shine is there any thing you can do to keep it that way. It seems that no matter how nice of a finish you get a little while down the road the metal "tarnishes" and gets dull looking again. Is there something like a clearcoat or wax that will keep it shiny and help keep the finger prints under control???

Supermario
05-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Once you have the aluminum polished up to a real nice shine is there any thing you can do to keep it that way. It seems that no matter how nice of a finish you get a little while down the road the metal "tarnishes" and gets dull looking again. Is there something like a clearcoat or wax that will keep it shiny and help keep the finger prints under control???

I wish I could just coat once and protect but the way I see it, these trucks and trailers get the same attention as our 1:1 vehicles . Frequent minor cleaning instead of letting it get bad and have a lot to deal with:eek: It's quick and easy to wipe down the fleet every couple weeks compared to the work involved in keeping the real trucks looking good:D

Great question though Flyingbeagle. If anyone has a tip on keeping the shine longer, I'm all ears!!!:)

Mario

Lmackattack
05-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Wax will put a lite coat of protection on it. You can have it clear coated but it will chip if you hit things with it. Then you have to strip all the clear off. Aluminum is a maintance metal. Lots of elbow grease.. Stainless is much better for a brite shine and less maintance but it's much harder to bend and form.

Just my .02

grumpygrady
05-16-2013, 08:46 AM
when polishing with rouge it is a two step polish
first with the red or brown Tripoli rouge then with the white or yellow rouge

check these pages
http://www.pjtool.com/jewelers-rouge.aspx
http://www.riogrande.com/Content/finishing-techniques-VID-psd?Pos=0

onestepbehind
05-17-2013, 11:59 AM
I use a real fine rubbing compound then rub it with FLITZ I think it is better than mothers and keeps it from oxidizing for a longer period of time

Supermario
05-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks for all the info and products guys. This has really turned into a research project as much as a trailer build. Finally got some decent weather and did some experimenting.
. I tried the baby powder after mothers and it did remove a lot of the haze and shows no swirls but Sue and I just love the mirror finish we get without mothers. I think I know why things were not going right for me when I first posted this thread. I was switching double stack wheels on and off the motor and I may have installed them with one wheel turning in the natural direction of wear on it and the other going against the wear direction ??

I made a point of re matching direction of wear and marked the pads to prevent from happening again.....all I know is, today was a much better day and things are looking good:) I'm having more success running the swirl marks off the plate and after using baby powder looks real sharp.

Will post pics soon, here's a video of me in action :p

http://youtu.be/gbHWiZZhVa8

Thanks for looking and all the great input. I do plan on trying and using everything recommended by everyone in my quest for " chrome aluminum" lol

Mario