PDA

View Full Version : Resistance soldering

petermoblin
05-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Would anyone happen to know much about resistance soldering? Been thinking of buying one for a trailer build I have planned and not sure which unit to go with. The trailer will consist of a lot of 1/4'' brass square bar and not sure what wattages I should be considering to produce enough heat to properly solder the joints. I've searched google and everything that comes up is trying to sell me a unit or telling me how it works and no wattage to material size ratio.

I will continue my web search for info, just thought I'd ask around here. Hope to hear from some of the great minds on here and all input is appreciated. Thanks

JDH429
05-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Ive been interested in one of these as well..id imagine you can always use more watts...
"The Mortar The Merrier"!

rowings farms
05-24-2013, 07:59 AM
1/4" bar or do you mean tube

petermoblin
05-24-2013, 11:21 AM
It would be solid bar stock

CG Bob
05-25-2013, 12:20 AM
I have one of the American Beauty light capacity tweezer-style units (https://www.americanbeautytools.com/site/models/rs/100/features#). It has a 250 Watt variable resistance power unit. I've been using it to solder handrails and masts for r/c boat models. Mostly 1/16" - 1/8" rod, or 1/4" - 3/16" tube. The nice thing is the tweezers can act as a clamp to help hold parts in place before and after making the solder joint. The heat tends to be localized at the electrodes, so you don't need a lot of secondary heat sinks around the joint.

petermoblin
05-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Thank you for the input. I've been looking at that brand of units, they seem to be the ones people prefer. I'll check that unit out. Thanks again