PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Island

Vanisle
10-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Like the username says, I am from Vancouver Island. I have watched GTF and Scale4x4 for awhile now but rarely post because my knowledge is pretty limited. I have recently bought a mill, lathe and tools and want to try my hand at making some things. Unfortunately, I have very limited time so everything is a long term project. Lots of great information can be found on forums and hats off to those with the knowledge that do post to help others.

Richard

RCLogger
10-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Glad you have found the site Richard, I think that brings the number up to six people from the Island on the site.

greg

Vanisle
10-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks Greg,

I just sort stumbled across it via some info I saw on Scale4x4. Had no idea it existed but it looks great.

RCLogger
10-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Like the username says, I am from Vancouver Island. I have watched GTF and Scale4x4 for awhile now but rarely post because my knowledge is pretty limited. I have recently bought a mill, lathe and tools and want to try my hand at making some things. Unfortunately, I have very limited time so everything is a long term project. Lots of great information can be found on forums and hats off to those with the knowledge that do post to help others.

Richard

What project are you going to start off with Richard ? Any ideas ? What Mill and Lathe did you get ?

greg

Vanisle
10-16-2010, 12:45 AM
So many ideas and so little time. I was planning to work on a skidder first but after seeing how many are in the works and seeing IronArt's awesome Tigercat, I think I may do something else. Like most, a 527 is on my list. Maybe I will try that. It would be nice to have a dozer and skidder all on in one. I just don't have a lot of time so everything is a long term project.

I bought a Grizzly G0704 mill and Micromark 7x14 lathe. Not the biggest but enough for what I want to do. I also bought a 2 axis DRO for my mill. I was a little disappointed when the brackets supplied with it didn't work to mount the scales. Fortunately, I realized that I had a mill to make my own. Many hours later it is installed. I just trammed the table yesterday (because it had a fair bit of nod) and was pleased to get it within .001-.002 over a 6 inch radius.

The machinery is cheap, the tooling is what adds up.

Richard

smart racer
10-16-2010, 11:19 PM
yes...nice to see another Islander, the site has great info and builds...what area of the Island?

Vanisle
10-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Near Mill Bay. How about yourself? Any projects in the works. I have plenty I would like to do, now I just need to find the time.

smart racer
10-17-2010, 01:23 AM
I am located south of you in Victoria...working on a oilfield bed or winch truck...yes the time seems hard to come by for building

Vanisle
10-17-2010, 03:01 AM
I love oilfield trucks. I was in Grande Prairie awhile back and saw plenty of twin steer pickers and bed trucks going through town. Camex Equipment has some good photos of oilifled trucks:

http://www.camex.ca/online-inventory/equipment-category?ID=A

Of course there is also Hank's:

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/trucks.htm

You have probably seen those websites.

One day I would like to do an 8x8 400 inch bed truck with planetaries and gin poles ... and a twin steer picker ... and a tri-drive winch truck. A guy can dream.

There was a nice blue Kenworth C500 8x8 with gin poles and matching trailer that went to Russia but I can't find the photos of it anymore. There was a video of it from the manufacturer but I can't find it either. It would have been a nice truck to copy. Not your typical bed truck.

smart racer
10-17-2010, 09:56 AM
I use the Camex site for idea's...but Hank's site is new to me...looks great...thanks

chaseracer
10-17-2010, 10:43 AM
welcome, it is awesome all these island guys keep showing up. now I can say, "see I am am not the only one doing this" to my not so rc loving wife :D

smart racer
10-17-2010, 01:33 PM
welcome, it is awesome all these island guys keep showing up. now I can say, "see I am am not the only one doing this" to my not so rc loving wife :D

that's funny

Vanisle
10-17-2010, 01:47 PM
I let my wife buy whatever she wants and then she can't complain when I buy something. She's not really into the whole scale model / RC scene.

One day we'll have to get all of the Island guys together. Of course, it will have to wait for awhile until I actually have something I can bring other than ideas.

Richard

tracksntreadslou
10-17-2010, 08:34 PM
I let my wife buy whatever she wants and then she can't complain when I buy something. She's not really into the whole scale model / RC scene.

One day we'll have to get all of the Island guys together. Of course, it will have to wait for awhile until I actually have something I can bring other than ideas.

Richard

LoL Mine buys shoes and purses...
Good to see you found us here richard ...Wow 6 ..We could have a pretty good show...get ready and get building so we can set something up for next spring.

Vanisle
10-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Happy wife, happy life. Yah, the spring is a possiblity. I'll be coming up your way in late November so hopefully can get together with you and Greg (and anyone else in the area) then.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Richard

DPD327
10-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Hi Richard from down the street from the island here in Everett, Washington. Hope to see your creativity in coming weeks/months as your shop sounds pretty awesome!

Jim

Mrfish55
11-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Welcome to the board! I am not an Islander but on the mainland, travel to the Island on a regular basis, I am sure an Island meet would yeild a good turnout with a little advertising, If there are 6 active members there must be a bunch of guys that haven't found the site yet, congrats on the new tools, have fun building.

Vanisle
11-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi Richard from down the street from the island here in Everett, Washington. Hope to see your creativity in coming weeks/months as your shop sounds pretty awesome!

Jim

Yah, that work thing. I haven't even looked at my tools for weeks. I have been travelling and trying to avoid getting stranded by snow. I felt like I was on the amazing race a couple of weeks ago when I was in Saskatchewan for a meeting and my flight was cancelled due to snow - two airlines, 2 missed flights, alternate connecting cities and an unplanned lengthy taxi ride later I made it home.

Everett is a nice area. I have been to Lynwood and Bellevue area many times with my family.

Richard

Vanisle
11-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the board! I am not an Islander but on the mainland, travel to the Island on a regular basis, I am sure an Island meet would yeild a good turnout with a little advertising, If there are 6 active members there must be a bunch of guys that haven't found the site yet, congrats on the new tools, have fun building.

Thanks. I make it to Vancouver somewhat regularly for work but am always glad to come home. Driving my full size pickup truck in downtown Vancouver is a bit of a pain - actually driving is fine, its finding parking with a parkade with enough clearance. It sure is handy to cross the border though to buy tools, for example at Grizzly Tools. I'm surprised the border guards don't recognize me.

Richard

aseejr
11-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Saying hello from Port Alberni.

Vanisle
11-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks. I don't know much about Port Alberni but it's definitely a convenient place to stop on the way to Tofino. RC helicopters. Sounds expensive ...

Stuff
11-07-2010, 12:18 AM
howdy from SE sask!

Vanisle
11-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks. I just about got stranded in Regina a couple of weeks ago due to snow (Air Canada cancelled a bunch of departing flights but I was able to get on a WestJet flight that circled a couple of times and finally landed) ... no offense to Saskatchewan but I wanted to get home. I've been to Regina and Saskatchewan a few times for work and went through Estevan about 25 years ago on my way back from a trip to Toronto - don't recall a whole lot about Estevan but i'm guessing there's a bit of grain around (although I confess I might be stereotyping that whole prairie thing).

Richard

Stuff
11-07-2010, 10:05 AM
oh back then it woulda been the farming. now its all about the oil. towns growing like a weed (except the housing... )

tracksntreadslou
11-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Saying hello from Port Alberni.

Hey JR good see to see you signed up...great forum and when you get a chance and figure things out post some pics of your rigs...cheeers lou

derailed
11-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi Richard from the east coast
i also bought a milling machine and lathe when i started in R/C rigs
i'm always building or modifying something
built a few rigs for others and currently building a pete for a fellow in VA now
welcome aboard

glenn(NB)

Vanisle
11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the welcome Glenn. I've never been to NB, assuming that is where you are from. The closest I got was Halifax last year a for a day (fly in and fly out same day so I didn't see much).

What mill and lathe do you have? I am hoping to get some time in December to play with mine again. Ever since I installed my DRO I haven't had time to do anything with them.

Richard

bigpipespete
11-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Hello , i'm from Surrey on the mainland . I have been a model builder most of my life , a heavy machine operator, trucker , and now a clamp truck and shunt truck operator . I work with paper rolls from the Catalyst mills on the island. I recently discovered the rc machines and am totally wanting to get involved. My name is michael and i'm hopeing to meet others who are too. Talk to you later.

Vanisle
11-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Welcome Michael. Who knew there were so many local guys. I used to work in various pulp mills on shutdowns. Now, I mainly work a desk and computer. One day, someone will have to organize a BC get together, with an invite to our Pacific Northwest US friends. I say we have it on the island and not in Surrey, no offence to Surrey intended.

Richard