PDA

View Full Version : 96 Foot Wilson Oil Rig

sasquatch
05-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Does any one know if this project has been done cause i sure could use some help if they do. It's a 96 foot Wilson workover oil rig, IT resembles the one I used to operate in my youger years. It will have a 35 to 39" frame under it. Would like longer but haven't found any OEM rails longer than 39" anyone know of a source "help", I have two TLT-1 axles to put under the front one has been modified for thru put drive, will take a while but got to get started some time, any tips, sourcing, or advice on this project will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

P.S. hope the picture uploads right

TRUCKMAKER
05-24-2013, 12:39 PM
You might try a hardware or home improvement store for some 1/2" "aluminum plywood cap". It comes in 4 foot or 8 foot lengths. You would need to trim the web to the size you want and of coarse drill everything, but taking on a build of that drill rig that should be a cake walk compared to the other tasks at hand.:) I used this stuff for rails on my Knight Hauler, its easy to work with.:)

sasquatch
06-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Been awhile but a small update, I have recieved the 39 inch rails from PMD worked in cad some and the frame will be 38" long Twin steer an dual drives haven't completely ruled tri-drive out yet, worked through a couple of problems like making a input/output TLT axle for the front drive, also currently working out the front springs as the TLT's on KH stock front suspension kinda looks like an old 1970's Peterbilt Gasser, any suggestions like some springs i could swap out with would be appreciated. Going to try to upload some pics.

sasquatch
06-05-2013, 06:59 PM
The two sacrificial lambs for this build
The TLT Max Climber for the front steers and drives
and the King Hauler for the Rears and frame parts

pumptech
06-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Just saw this thread , good luck with the build !!:D ,there will be a lot of parts to build for a workover rig , the list goes on and on ,rods ,tubing ,crew truck with bop trailer ,etc.., may have to build a scale model pumping unit to go with it ,I worked on a workover rig years ago ,the single/double rig was pretty tough ..
Good luck with it :popcorn:

Izzy
06-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Ohhh - cool build Idea - please keep us posted with pics.

you can mount standard Tamiya semi leafs to TLT axels just buy drilling hte axel a tad bit for the center pin an dthen drilling two holes and using the corse self threading screws into the axel housing.

I believe the springs fromt eh F350 and the like are shorter though.

I have extra leaf springs (tamiya semi - trailer style) if you need some.

uk trucker
06-21-2013, 03:58 PM
I used the standard Tamiya truck springs on a tlt axle, it raises the chassis height by about 10mm, to level the chassis I redrilled the rear suspension mounting holes 10 mm lower and left out the big Tamiya cross member and made up a piece of steel and fitted it to the bottom hole to steady the suspension brackets on this model,
http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=6044

sasquatch
01-10-2014, 07:59 PM
this project isnt dead its just had to take a back burner for awhile have most of chassis drawn in cad working on the twin front axles steering linkage and going to start trial printing the cab and draw works on the printer this weekend hope it goes well

dabears
01-11-2014, 02:12 PM
This will be a cool build