PDA

View Full Version : you want how $%^&#*@ much???

RCKiwi
05-29-2013, 08:38 PM
So I've been researching and accumulating components to start my first build (loader, be making the pump, rams, valves, diff's, etc). I've sourced bits from all over this ball of dirt we live on with little hassle or expense, just time burning away, but I'm not quite ready to start, so no matter.

I need some special small bearings and after quizzing everyone nationally, my usual and some new suppliers, I hit a brick wall - goggle was my friend. I found them in the US and promptly filed a quotation request. After a day or so, I had a reply in my inbox. They were happy to help and the price was not too bad indeed. A mere US$5.10 each - I had to order 20 of, but figured ok, this project could be an absolute winner and I could always use them elsewhere, so all good.

Now, these special wee (wee - a local term for small here in NZ, something to do with the strong Scottish heritage our city has - we certainly don't pronounce it like the Scott's - just pronounced with our local twang) bearings, are only about ID3mm x OD6mm x 6 long. And I know what you're thinking - small package, judging on some of the small boxes I've had from Tower or RC4WD etc, I'd say about US$25 - $35, certainly $40 Tops..........

You can imagine my disbelief when I ready...........

UPS ("Saver" - lol) US$175........and then another $7 for packaging????????

Say what now........ ah you mean $17.50....

No sir, US$175, but it's a 5-8 day service..... (that makes all the difference-lets go with it!!) Sarcasm, for those who didn't see what I did there...

I'm not sure if it's a minimum charge or whatever, the nice lady has stopped replying to my emails?

I've since found them in Aussie, at AUS$3.15 each and a AUS$10 bubble pack.

I feel better.....

RCKiwi
05-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I was quite surprised to say the least. Perhaps jet fuel has hit an all time record high in the US???? Or the cardboard box the bits would come in is made from Unobtainium - pretty expense stuff I here..... :)
I'm looking at buying a King Hauler from Tower and there freight was something like US$127 air 3-4 weeks, but that's understandable I guess - big box I would have thought but $175 for 20 "pea" sized bits......... taking the michael surely?

All good now - bits on there way and after this long holiday weekend, I'll get some more gib stopping out the way and be that much more closer to starting my build, honestly how some of you blokes on here manage to do the stuff you do is beyond me. Capabilities wise, no so much as there are some very clever cookies about, but time wise - I am time poor next to time-broke! Where do some of you find the time?

Glenn

RCKiwi
05-30-2013, 12:14 AM
Why does the edit function show on this post but not the one above?

Dieselchopper
05-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Hey guys, I am from Canada and you would think better rates tha you all down under...... On several things it would have been the same $175us and import taxes. It is that ups "saver" not much savings and lots of hassle. Found the best service for me up here from the US was to have them use the postal service not a shipping company. In many cases only a day or two longer wait and 1/3 the cost or less.

RCKiwi
05-30-2013, 01:11 AM
I did suggest USPS to her as I have used this service before - no response. Tax wise, here in NZ the threshold was (GST-goods and service tax) at $400 - the GST which was 12.5%, equated to $50 and worth the paper work to collect. Not sure if it is still at $400 now that GST has gone up to %15?

Stuff
05-30-2013, 11:30 AM
in canada we get the same BS with using UPS. they attach broker fees and other stuff to it.

best to look around with others from there and find out what shipper is the best shipper for fees etc.

or just order enough to make it worth while.

Rebekah_harper
05-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Depends who said it was that price.

I'd be surprised if it was ups. So i recon the company intend to make money on the postage like some do on ebay.

1985 kenworth
05-30-2013, 01:28 PM
All of the courier companies are like that and some of the companies are looking to cash in on the postage hoping you will just do it anyway.another reason i try to stick to people on the forum.i got a set of rims from steve(inbuilder) he quoted me a price for shipping i paidand a day or 2 later i got a message of a refund for shipping from him because it turned out not to be that much.its too bad the guys and gals in the vendor section can't make everything. Then there would be no worries.:D

1985 kenworth
05-30-2013, 01:30 PM
If my items cannot come usps then i don't buy it.i have never had any problems with that service....hmmm i wonder if the fact that i am contracted to haul canada post mail if that makes a difference :p

Dieselchopper
05-30-2013, 06:42 PM
It depends on what service used with ups. Normal ups shipping is reasonable and painless. I only found the ups "saver" to be excessive expensive and not so prompt.

Izzy
06-27-2013, 09:49 PM
I dropped my jaw when a trailer ships from us to aus for 450 or more