PDA

View Full Version : This is a tough one, so bear with me

Rogue
10-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi all,

While Alfy and Cory are celebrating new life (Congrats to you both BTW), i feel obligated to let you all know that i may be losing mine. I found out about 3 weeks ago that i have testicular cancer and it has spread into my lower spinal region. I will have a better idea later this coming week as to how rapidly it is spreading, and what my options are.

That being said, and call this premature on my part, but i have made the decision to remove myself from this hobby, and liquidate my trucks and parts. I have certain things that have happened in the last 44 years that i regret, and fallings out with my father (who i haven't spoke with for 24 years) that i need to either make amends with, or at least find some kind of closure. I have a estranged relationship with my daughter in Cali., who will turn 18 at months end, who knows nothing of this, but needs to! And it needs to be done in person. I have several things I still want , and need to do. I am going to take this oportunity to try and make things right. My own "Bucket List" if you will. I have always found building to be a escape from all that has gone on in my life. Now it feels as if it's something i've been hiding behind, and that doesn't sit well with me. I am taking a leave of absence at work during the month of Nov., to visit family and friends back home in the NW.

Sorry to either bore you, or bring anyone down by this. I am a quiet solitary person by nature. You guys here are my extended family. I'm scared, angry, and confused by all this that is going on. So you all are my sound board. Sorry if very little of this makes any sense.

All this being said, i will be posting several things for sale on here.

Thx for your time

Tamiya Cowboy
10-16-2010, 05:22 PM
WOW.. Rick I am very sorry to here this.. I have know you for a long time and it is very upsetting to here this.. If there is anything I can do please let me know..

fhhhstix
10-16-2010, 05:52 PM
I am sorry to here this as well Rick and hope for the best for you . I also wish you the best in the closure you seek.

Travis Biddle

Claus
10-16-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't know what to say, let's hope for the best.

SmallHaul
10-16-2010, 06:51 PM
I am sorry to hear about this. I wish you the very best.

Espeefan
10-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Rick, as someone I'd call a friend, this is the worst news I've read all day. You and I go back quite a ways, with various other internet forums. We've always shared the same taste in trucks and our models. You've just managed to actually accomplish more then I, as far as finished models go. :D You've inspired me with your past builds. Stoked the fire for the Wedico, with your own. I am just at a loss for words right now. It's crazy how friendships and a sense of family can develope through such a medium as the internet, but we all feel for you. I know not everyone is religious, but I pray that things work out the best way they can, for you. For your health, and for your family relationships. Do what you feel you have to do, to make things right. It's never to late to try. If you need to talk, you know how to reach me, Rick. Take care buddy. You have my best wishes.

W900snowman
10-16-2010, 09:36 PM
You are in our thoughts and prayers and wish you the very best.

dirtpusher9
10-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Rick, I don't know you and probably can't help in any way except for I will pray for you. I do know The One that can help you get the closure and peace that you seek and his name is GOD. Through him all things are possible.

I sure hope and pray that everything works out for the best. Keep us posted.

PS. For those who don't like my religious comments, just ignore them. First Amendment (Freedom of speech)

Tamiya Cowboy
10-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Rick, I don't know you and probably can't help in any way except for I will pray for you. I do know The One that can help you get the closure and peace that you seek and his name is GOD. Through him all things are possible.

PS. For those who don't like my religious comments, just ignore them. First Amendment (Freedom of speech)

Very well put Joe.. He is the first step to find the way..

smart racer
10-16-2010, 11:30 PM
I am very sadden to read your news... my prayers be with you

MACK Daddy
10-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Wow, buddy I am speechless right now and I have been thinking of what to say and I k I can't say anything to help , but as you can see you have a great group of people pulling for ya every step of the way, Stay Strong and keep your head up

alfy

nenard
10-17-2010, 02:43 AM
Rouge, I dont know you at all as I'm new here and live on the east coast. None the less my prayers go out to you and your family. I'm sure your getting the best medical care possible and thats the most important thing. Im employed at a major cancer hospital here in New York and if theres anything that I can do as providing imformation or perhaps seeing if theres a associated facility out your way just let me know. Keep your head up, Nenard.

ihbuilder
10-17-2010, 08:55 AM

well put , All the best for you Rick

IHSteve

modelman
10-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Rogue-this kind of news is always tough to hear. Only you know what the situation is but I would suggest you make things right with your family. That's important! We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Brian in PA
10-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Rick, hope for the best! My wifes uncle had double testicular (a year between them) and he had that about 5yrs ago. The one thing that he always said was " at least I cant get that again" It was always something he said to give himself a little more up-tempo out look on life. I wish you the best in this time of sadness.

Brian

Rogue
10-17-2010, 10:03 PM
WOW guys,

Thank you for the support and positive comments. It does mean more than you know. I hope i did not come across a "bleeding heart" in my original post. After reading that post, it may be mis-read that i come from a dysfunctional family or something. That is far from the case. I do come from a small loving family, who is always supportive, albeit we are the strong willed independent type. Even so, there are a few things that need to be dealt with(for my own piece of mind knowing that i made the effort), regardless on my current situation. What makes it tough for me right now is that I now live by myself some 1,200 miles from where I grew up, and where my family and friends are still at. I have alot of time to myself out here, and the cat isn't much for conversation... LOL

I made the comment that I plan to step back from the hobby. I even went as far as emailing Nathan and asking if would take over the build of my Wedico Pete. He replied that that truck was "destined to be mine". I fought with that all night last night, and when i walked into my hobby room this morning, and saw those "puppy dog" single round headlights staring at me, i knew there is no way I can give up on that truck. I'm not the quitting type !! So it remains here with me, and will keep me postive and motivated. Along with another newer project that I acquired from Paul.

Again, thank you all for the positive reinforcement.

SonoranWraith
10-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Rick, I don't know you but good luck and fight while you can and take care of that list. We all have things in life we leave undone and sometimes you don't know it till you get a call like that changes your life. I got that same call at 27. I was lucky (blessed) that it wasn't metastasized. I hope that you get to achieve the things you desire and live a long happy life. :)

Thorsteenster
10-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Man, even though I don't know you, that's hard news to get and always hard to hear about from forum members.
You sound pretty uppity about it all, and that'll be your biggest help through this.
One thought about your Pop, maybe the trucks can be something that you connect with. I wouldn't sell them all, your bound to need something to tinker with at some point.
All the best and peace to you.

Bodyman
10-18-2010, 01:24 PM
rick sorry to hear about your cancer. you have to think positive about this. I'm also
battling cancer of the thyroid. had it removed about a month ago. but still have to have treatments. i still have a lot of things to do and see and want to see the grandkids grow.
so just dont give up. PM me if you need any info. my wife of 30 yrs. is a board certified
cancer nurse and has her chemo licence. so if you have any questions about this
and the doctors just give you the time PM me and I'll give you my phone number and you can talk to the wife about treatment.
steve

Juganought
10-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Good on you... I tried many times to respond to this thread but was unable to. I work with the people who have cancer and various other illness, and when I read your post I cried. However, I like the positive mental attitude you have decided to take on board, you are on the right track. You would have regretted selling those trucks and sat talking to the cat. Stay strong, my fellow hobbyist:D

Losiassociated
10-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Sorry to hear your illness,I have my prayers for you.My wife is a cancer surviver and it was **** when we found out,but she will be cancer free for 2 year as of next month.I wish you luck and god bless.
Greg

DieselKid
10-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Hate to hear of news like this Rick, just know that hope and prayer go out to you!

-Alex

rc_farmer
10-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Rick, my prayers and thoughts are with you and youir family. My dad has gone thru this and thru God's blessings, he's still with us.

May God bestow all his blessing upon you!

Rogue
10-31-2010, 10:00 PM
I would just like to say a heart felt Thank You to all that have expressed their thoughts, prayers, and offers of help. I was talking with Paul this afternoon, and how i almost felt ashamed to even bring this up amongst you guys. Like I was burdening you all with something that you had no concern about. After all i have read, it's reassuring to know that you guys are out there. I am not a openly religious person by any means, but have always found the strength and guidance i've needed from within myself. Between that, and my sense of humor, i've always managed to keep pushing forward. Your prayers are not unappreciated tho.

I'll find out more tomorrow afternoon as to how or if things have progressed. At this point, I may ending up losing a jewel. :o In which case, you can then refer to me as "One hung low".

Thx again , all of you.

Brian in PA
10-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Good luck Rick I hope you have some news to look forward too!

Brian

firefighter-1177
11-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Good luck. I hope every thing works out for the best. Ill keep you in my prayers.

Bigrigger
11-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Stay strong Rogue! Immerse yourself in family and love, they will bring you joy! Cats are very loving too, they're always there for you! Remember to stay positive! Think "I'll pull through, no illness is a match for me!". Good luck buddy!