PDA

View Full Version : Manufacture Hydraulic Pump?

Vanisle
10-18-2010, 12:50 AM
I was wondering if anyone has made an actual working hydraulic pump. I think IHBuilder (forgive me if I butcherd your username, going from memory) said he has one in the works.

I planned to try making one with two external teeth gears that mesh inside the pump housing. Like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gear_pump.png

Is it really that easy, assuming you can get the tolerances right?

Obvoiusly one with internal teeth would be harder to do (I just can't come up with an easy way to do internal teeth):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gear_pump_3.png

A rotary vane pump looks too hard to me. Anybody care to share their ideas or successes?

Richard

ihbuilder
10-18-2010, 01:35 AM
I was wondering if anyone has made an actual working hydraulic pump. I think IHBuilder (forgive me if I butcherd your username, going from memory) said he has one in the works.

I planned to try making one with two external teeth gears that mesh inside the pump housing. Like this:

Obvoiusly one with internal teeth would be harder to do (I just can't come up with an easy way to do internal teeth):

A rotary vane pump looks too hard to me. Anybody care to share their ideas or successes?

Richard

yes I have 1 in the works ,I'll be running another batch of wheels ,when they're done then I can make the housing + cylinders . I'm not going to go in detail till I know it works and efficiently .

IHSteve

Vanisle
10-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Understandable. Kind of seems like chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Give me about 6 months and I'll let you know how mine turns out. Its a shame that hydraulic parts are so expensive.

td9clyde
10-19-2010, 08:58 PM
where is a good place to order pumps? and valves ?

ihbuilder
10-19-2010, 09:17 PM
where is a good place to order pumps? and valves ?

Clyde , In the usa you have PMD but from what I hear he has trouble getting them in :confused: Next place is in germany . I got a quote from these guys TTM models . Ed ( jammer ) has dealt with them .

IHSteve

Vanisle
10-19-2010, 10:58 PM
I have bought some things from TTM a few years ago with no problems. Kampfer also sells a hydraulic pump:

http://www.123modellbau.de/modules/shop/index.php?location_id=47&page=&cPath=51774

ihbuilder
10-20-2010, 12:15 AM
I have bought some things from TTM a few years ago with no problems. Kampfer also sells a hydraulic pump:

http://www.123modellbau.de/modules/shop/index.php?location_id=47&page=&cPath=51774

I saw 1 of them on german fleabay was wondering where it came from

IHSteve

Vanisle
10-20-2010, 11:21 PM
UMs also sells pumps:

http://www.umstech.in/searchproduct.php?searchname=pump&phpsessionid=ord_201010218555

Doesn't FGD have some in his projects?

RCLogger
10-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Yes FGD has one of those pumps ( umstech ) I haven't heard how well it works, any updates

It would be great if we could get some pumps closer to home ...

greg

Vanisle
10-21-2010, 12:20 AM
I hope they are OK. I just bought a couple recently, not yet received.

Richard

ihbuilder
10-21-2010, 07:21 AM

Richard

let us know how long it takes to get them , took fdg awhile . I'm still pondering 1 for my 5900 . the 1 I making is to big for a truck . It's for the pan .

IHSteve

FreddyGearDrive
10-21-2010, 07:59 AM

Richard

Richard,those pumps are ok if,your going to use on a dump or something that doesn't require the pump to run over a minute.I purchase a couple of them,& cooked one in a matter of minutes. If you read the spec sheet that comes with the pump.It tells you to only run in short spurts. One of them I modded to use a different motor,now it's perfect. Your still way ahead useing just the pump & changing the motor,vs $300 0r more.
It's all in what you want it to do.
I sure hope UMS does a better job gittin them to you,than they did w/me!
FGD

Vanisle
10-21-2010, 10:26 PM
FGD - thanks for the info. I suspected that the motor might need to be replaced. I was most interested in the gear pump itself. I always like to order more than I need and at that price, you can't go wrong. I ordered on Oct 11th and supposedly (according to an email this week) the order will be shipped this week.

Edit: On its way by FedEx, delivery in 4 days.

td9clyde
10-27-2010, 08:29 PM
would one of those run a dozer blade and tilt ? .......if i changed the motor? and also would one of those run my ts 14? steering and all that stuff ? if the motor was changed? basically would the pump hold up to something like a 550 motor? 7.2 bats running it? or is there something betteras far as pump wise i can always change motors and make my own hydralic tanks and they can be just like the real thing lol ?

rc_farmer
10-28-2010, 01:04 AM
Richard,those pumps are ok if,your going to use on a dump or something that doesn't require the pump to run over a minute.I purchase a couple of them,& cooked one in a matter of minutes. If you read the spec sheet that comes with the pump.It tells you to only run in short spurts. One of them I modded to use a different motor,now it's perfect. Your still way ahead useing just the pump & changing the motor,vs $300 0r more.
It's all in what you want it to do.
I sure hope UMS does a better job gittin them to you,than they did w/me!
FGD

FGD, I am about to purchase a couple of them, what motor did you upgrade them too? Just talked to them and they are in stock.

Thanks

johnboyee
10-28-2010, 08:40 AM
These look just like the pumps hausl fuel pumps the airplane guys use on their turbines, thought I was on to something, but cost is still @ the $300 area, bit they mention they make custom micro gear pumps,
http://shopping.netsuite.com/flightworks

Vanisle
10-28-2010, 11:41 AM
$300 is a lot better than the $800 they quoted me, but still too much I think.

RCLogger
10-28-2010, 11:46 AM
At one time Flight Works said they were going to make a hyd pump. Has anyone tried a fuel pump from Flight Works ?

greg

Bellien
12-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Richard

If you are still considering building a pump, have you considered using the sickle gear set out of a furnace oil pump?

Vanisle
12-14-2010, 02:35 PM
I am still considering building one but I am a long ways from needing one so I haven't done anything with it. I do have the UMS pump (taken apart from the original motor that apparently doesn't last) that I will try first. I don't really know what a sickle gear set is ... but I just looked on google. Looks a little complicated for me (given my limited abilities) to make but maybe it would work if you could find one small enough from an existing pump. I think IHBuilder used a fuel pump sickle gear set for his pump that he built.

Guess I'll cross that hurdle when I get to it.

ihbuilder
12-14-2010, 06:18 PM
OK , now I know the slang for it ,:confused: sickle gear is nothing more then a vain . most furnace pumps are vain pumps as far as I know . I got my seal for mine ,just did not get it installed yet . I've been busy with wheel orders and a job that finally came up . I have no doubt about flow rate , just skeptical on pressure . My dad has suggested a furnace pump also ,I just did not get there yet . I have a couple :)

IHSteve

ihbuilder
12-15-2010, 06:17 PM
OK , now I know the slang for it ,:confused: sickle gear is nothing more then a vain . most furnace pumps are vain pumps as far as I know . I got my seal for mine ,just did not get it installed yet . I've been busy with wheel orders and a job that finally came up . I have no doubt about flow rate , just skeptical on pressure . My dad has suggested a furnace pump also ,I just did not get there yet . I have a couple :)

IHSteve

I stand corrected , a sickle gear set is just what the jung pump has . I finally got to take a furnace pump apart and ohlala just what I've been looking for :D and the right size to :D:D . now to make the right size housing for it ,HMMMMMM :D come to think of it , I think the newer furnace pumps are about the right size . oh more research :D

If you are still considering building a pump, have you considered using the sickle gear set out of a furnace oil pump?

thank you so much for bringing this up :) made me check it out sooner then later :D

IHSteve

trucker n
12-15-2010, 07:59 PM
what is a furnace pump:confused:

ihbuilder
12-15-2010, 08:05 PM
what is a furnace pump:confused:

oil furnace to heat your house , unless you live where it's a constant 90 deg all year round .

trucker n
12-15-2010, 09:19 PM
i have heat but dont use it much and it is gas so no pump where can i get one:D

ihbuilder
12-15-2010, 09:29 PM
i have heat but dont use it much and it is gas so no pump where can i get one:D

Neil , the pump as it comes is to bulky to fit in a model . the way I figure , all that is worth out of the pump is the gear assembly . I'll be making a new housing to be able to fit in a construction model . I should be able to get it close to the jung pump size . but if you want ( beckett )

IHSteve

Bellien
12-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Let me know how it goes, it would certainly be a cost saver if it was reasonable to re-build them..

Stepside
12-31-2013, 08:27 PM
UMs also sells pumps:

http://www.umstech.in/searchproduct.php?searchname=pump&phpsessionid=ord_201010218555

Doesn't FGD have some in his projects?

Anyone know where to get these pumps???

ihbuilder
01-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Anyone know where to get these pumps???

working on it :confused:

not sure on buying :confused: looks like UMS went into the commercial arena .

I should be able to stay close to their price range , NO LESS , depending on a good shaft seal price .

22fatcat
01-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Hi, I have built two pumps, the first one was very loud and it moved to much oil not very efficient. the second one i used a much smaller gear and it seems to work pretty good but it has not been used on my excavator yet I just recently bought the spool valve from Rc4wd and need to finish the connections and make an overflow tank. Hopefully this one will work well.

Stepside
01-03-2014, 07:28 PM
I should be able to stay close to their price range , NO LESS , depending on a good shaft seal price .

I emailed UMS, but doubt I'll hear anything back.

Any idea on when you could get a prototype built? There's a demand here and you're the guy to fill it!!! :D

I would rather my money stay in the US and what better than to support one of our own. Go get 'em Stevie!

ihbuilder
01-04-2014, 09:23 PM
I emailed UMS, but doubt I'll hear anything back.

Any idea on when you could get a prototype built? There's a demand here and you're the guy to fill it!!! :D

I would rather my money stay in the US and what better than to support one of our own. Go get 'em Stevie!

as soon as motors and gear stock come in and someone has me tied up for this month :rolleyes:

i'd say a month or 2 also you know what else is coming ;)

RCP57
01-04-2014, 09:36 PM
as soon as motors and gear stock come in and someone has me tied up for this month :rolleyes:

i'd say a month or 2 also you know what else is coming ;)

I'm out of the loop! What else is coming?:bounce::bounce:

ihbuilder
01-05-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm out of the loop! What else is coming?:bounce::bounce:

well it comes after a valve and does some work :p

I'm waiting on mtrl quote so I can order mtrl . dang holiday's and weather messin things up :( hopefully better this week :confused:

petermoblin
01-06-2014, 11:15 PM
This wouldn't be a multi-stage cylinder would it Steve:confused:

ihbuilder
01-08-2014, 06:59 PM
This wouldn't be a multi-stage cylinder would it Steve:confused:

;)