PDA

View Full Version : Body filling

heavy d
06-19-2013, 02:09 AM
Guys how do I fill the small cracks and imperfections ?

What is the best compound to use ?

:confused::confused:

Espeefan
06-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Evercoat glaze putty gets some pretty high marks from the guys around here. I've used Squadron putty in the past with good results too. Usually takes a couple applications of applying it, sanding it, and following up with another coat, then sanding again. Another trick I've used is to mix up my own putty using scraps of styrene, softened in a solvent based glue, like Plastruct plastic weld, or Tenax 7R. Other times I've glued entire small pieces onto a body, in the low spots, then did a lot of sanding to level out the area and smooth it together. That can take multiple applications as well. In cracks, really thin styrene, glued into the crack, on edge can be used instead of putty. Cut the extra styrene off, and sand it smooth. Treat styrene kind of like metal. If you take to much off, you can always glue (weld) more back on and build it up again, within reason. Sometimes it is easier just to make a new piece altogether, but you'd be surprised how the right glue and styrene works together to make filler pieces, or filler putty, and it's better then applying a lot of body putty. Yes, doing it this way does require more sanding, but the results are far better. Putty can crack, when a body is flexed, but styrene will not. There are no shrinkage problems with styrene either. The less putty you have to use, the better off you are! Always do your best to make your body work as perfect as possible. I don't exactly enjoy body work, and I am not an expert, but taking the time to do a good job pays off.

biggusditchus
06-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi Chap,
Now I may be wrong but Heavy D is a name I have come accross on crawling sites in UK. is that you or just a coincidence?? I have been using Revell Plasto with great results, it fills gaps well and sands lovely.

Lmackattack
06-23-2013, 12:46 AM
I use tamiya white and gray putty...I have used squadron as well as bono and think tamiya works best with plastic. The best way the putty works is if you can minimize the gap where plastic meets the other part. Less of a gap the simpler it will cover and have a smooth transition...