PDA

View Full Version : Servo motor spline adapters?

Supermario
07-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Hey all. Rather than try and explain in text. I made a video of the issue with my bruder 574 loader.
I appreciate any input and suggestions . Thanks all

Mario

http://youtu.be/tteVVdQEM3Y

carp
07-13-2013, 03:47 PM
says the video is private

Espeefan
07-13-2013, 03:47 PM
You've haven't granted me access to view the video.....so the link says. Ha ha. C'mon man, I thought we were friends......kind of.

Supermario
07-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Sorry my friends :o;):lol: not sure how that happened. Video is public now :o:)

Espeefan
07-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Mario, I'm not sure that anyone offers a metal adapter spline that will make use of the original plastic servo arm, but why not upgrade the entire arm to an aluminum piece? You can find double ended aluminum servo arms all over the net, for many different brands of servos. What brand have you got there? I couldn't see the servo sticker in the video, with the name. Is it a cheap brand X servo?

Supermario
07-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Mario, I'm not sure that anyone offers a metal adapter spline that will make use of the original plastic servo arm, but why not upgrade the entire arm to an aluminum piece? You can find double ended aluminum servo arms all over the net, for many different brands of servos. What brand have you got there? I couldn't see the servo sticker in the video, with the name. Is it a cheap brand X servo?

I must admit Nathan.... I'm not the greatest web surfer/ researcher I thought I was and figured my extended family could save me lots of time and cash:D
The servo brand name is Tower Pro MG995.
If someone offers these arms in aluminum, I'm all in! Would you happen to have a fav site for stuff like this?

Thanks for all your help Nathan, my online forum friend;):D

Mario

doodlebug
07-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Go to servo city and look up aluminum hubs, on my phone,
Haven't learned how to post links on it yet.
Cheers, Neil.

doodlebug
07-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Try this link, http://www.servocity.com/html/standard_hub_horn.html
Cheer's, Neil.

grumpygrady
07-13-2013, 07:27 PM
lol thanks, that is what I needed but didn't even know I needed it , lol

doodlebug
07-13-2013, 09:20 PM
lol thanks, that is what I needed but didn't even know I needed it , lol

????? So what are you hiding up your sleeve, LOL!:D Do tell :p
Cheer's, Neil.

Espeefan
07-13-2013, 09:45 PM
I must admit Nathan.... I'm not the greatest web surfer/ researcher I thought I was and figured my extended family could save me lots of time and cash:D
The servo brand name is Tower Pro MG995.
If someone offers these arms in aluminum, I'm all in! Would you happen to have a fav site for stuff like this?

Thanks for all your help Nathan, my online forum friend;):D

Mario

Mario, buddy old pal... :D I think we are all willing to help whenever we can.

After doing some digging on the internet, checking for Tower Pro MG995 specs, it seems they use the same spline that Futaba servos use, so that means anything you can find for a Futaba, should work just as well on the MG995. Not sure how long you need that servo horn to be, but here is a 1" version (2" wide, total, end to end).

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFVJ9&P=7

They get longer from there. 1.5" and 2", or 3" and 4" total width, respectively. If you need the links, let me know. I've used these servo horns myself, although the single ended ones. They have never failed on me, even on my go fast RCs and rock crawlers.

Here are some more options -

http://www.racers-edge.com/category_s/138.htm

And one more link to some Hudy machined servo horns -

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=hudy+servo+hor ns&x=0&y=0

As you look around, just remember to get a servo horn that fits a Futaba servo, and you'll be golden, as they say. :D

Supermario
07-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the info and links guys :cool: and thanks Nathan for doing the research and finding out the spline type for me:)
The 1" double arm horn from tower hobbies is just what I'm looking for and seeing as I have an account with them I went ahead and ordered today which means ill have it and should have the loader up and running in time for Indy.:)

Mario

Espeefan
07-14-2013, 10:27 AM
No problem, Mario. On a little side note, the Futaba alum. horn you bought has to be drilled out for the screws you plan to use. I usually use 3mm screws, so I just drill and tap the existing starter holes, and then loc-tite the screws into the horn. I don't like using nuts, although that will work fine too, with a through hole. In high stress applications, I've done both methods combined - drilled and tapped the hole, used a slightly longer screw, and then ran a nut up the back side of the threads, which protrudes the arm, like a jam nut. Nyloc nuts work perfect for this.

mazdaparts
07-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Mario, I use those servos all the time and have had some issues like you have. I have also had issues with the servos wearing out faster than expected. If you take the weak link out be prepared to find another at the worst time. Keep extra servos on hand.