PDA

View Full Version : Tranmission E Maxx?

Erick O
09-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Does anyone here run an E Maxx Transmission in their King Hauler? Any thoughts on doing this I have never been a big fan of the Tamiya 3 Speeds and I know the E Maxx trannys are really tough. My thought was the tune ability of the Traxxas with a huge verity of Spur and pinion gears I can run. I'm thinking I could get away without any of the 4to1 boxes. Just thinking out loud not to mention the possibility for running dual motors. From what I see it would but the motors in the cab instead of under the hood but the transmission out put ends up at the same place.

ihbuilder
09-04-2013, 04:46 PM
have you watch my M75 run ? It has the biggest spur and the smallest pinions and with 2 65T motors it's still a little too fast . Travis had 1 in his black tri axle which is in the mack now . He did some cuttin to get it in the frame .

Erick O
09-04-2013, 04:52 PM
But you M75 has a lot bigger tires which will make it faster from What I can tell it should drop in without cutting any thing if I put the motor or motors in the cab

Espeefan
09-05-2013, 02:12 AM
From a packaging standpoint, it's actually a pretty large transmission. I've never read about anyone destroying a stock Tamiya 3 speed, but I do agree that they are pretty sloppy with the back lash, and are designed that way for ease of shifting. I think I would consider looking at RC4WD's two speed R2 transmissions instead, or perhaps the two speed Axial SCX-10 transmission they now offer.

SmallHaul
09-05-2013, 09:08 AM
i can vouch for the strength of the Tamiya 3 speed. The 3 speed in my Mack DT has hauled many loads of rock up very steep dirt haul roads and hasn't missed a beat and the truck is over 3 years old. Actually the whole stock Tamiya drive train impresses me how much abuse it can take.

Erick O
09-05-2013, 11:46 AM
It just seems over complicated if and I can't stand all the gear slop.

Espeefan
09-05-2013, 12:47 PM
It's not really gear slop. The slop comes from the dogs that engage the gear sets. Tamiya gave them a lot of wiggle room so they could engage easier, and be shifted on the fly.

fhhhstix
09-05-2013, 06:46 PM
I have put the E-MAX trans in a Tamiya truck and had the front axle powered as well. It does fit well with just a little trimming of the trans or the frame, I just shaved a little off of the trans. On 7.2V with the biggest spur and smallest pinion the speed in first and second is acceptable. The biggest downfall is the amount of space it takes up in the cab. Now if you're planning to do this you will need punisher drive shafts and hardened pinions for the axles. It is your truck so build it how you want but I would recommend the RC4WD R2 2 speed it is a much better fit and it is super quiet.

Travis

Mawler1
11-14-2013, 09:56 PM
I know the old Emaxx gearbox put into an Tamiya TXT-1 doubles it's speed... that's why Mine never had one put into it... and just over 5 Kilos coming at you at 25 Miles an hour isn't something I'd be fond of...

same setup in a Tamiya semi would be asking for trouble... I dunno though the smaller wheels and tyres might slow it down enough... would have to go for the smallest pinions you can go though like someone else said...