PDA

View Full Version : Another hydraulic pump option

doodlebug
09-10-2013, 12:01 AM
I found a furnace oil burner pump, that may work for larger model's, they can be had cheap on e bay. http://http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=suntec+a2va-7116
The trade off is, they are on the large side of thing's.
Here's a spec sheet for some of the model's, I have the Suntec A2VA-7116
It is 2-3 gallons per hour, vs the German pumps that are about 4.72 gallons per hour or 300 milliliter per minute if my math work's?
http://http://www.suntecpumps.com/Suntecus/A7000.htm
This pump is rated at 3450 rpm and 2-3 gph at 150-200psi. The shaft is 5/16
with a flat spot for set screw. They have 2 tank lines, 1 for oil supply, and the second one is a return line, I believe they have a built in relief valve.
Now before some of you get excited about it's tooo big for 1:14 Tamiya truck's, yes I will agree! But for big dozer's, excavators, and other large equipment. Picture #2 is next to a Tamiya Flackpanzer Geppard tank transmission. The motor pictured, is a stock Tamiya 540 can. I'm planning on using my pump in a future dozer project, no screw drives now!
This is the link, for the entire Suntec manual, with spec's. It is a very large file, beware! http://www.suntecpumps.com/Suntecus/PDFs/Installation%20and%20Service%20Manual.pdf 81 pages! They also make a 1750 rpm model.

Yes this will stir the pot a little bit, its the best cheap option, that I have found in 2 year's of looking! It ain't easy to find a happy balance.
Hope this helps a few of us out? No it won't fit in a Bruder skid steer loader!
Cheer's, Neil.

RCP57
09-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Nice find Neil! I love the fact that seems like something I may find in someone's junk pile and be able to put it to use in something cool! Thanks for posting this...I have a new item to search for when I'm out and about...

Finster
09-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Neil,

Thanks for sharing the info on this pump and starting a new thread. Too bad they don't make a smaller model, but like you said it might work for bigger machines. I'm curious to see how well this pump performs, so I'll be watching this thread.

doodlebug
12-18-2013, 10:15 PM
I just bought a Marzocchi pump on ebay cheap, it's 750 milliliter/minute @ 1,500 rpm, will go to 7,000 rpm. Will give more info if there is any interest.
Most of the hobby pumps appear to be 300-350 milliliter's/minute.

The furnace oil pump in a previous post, Well I had to find a new conversion app for my phone, number's are off!:mad::mad::mad:

Cheer's, Neil.

RCP57
12-18-2013, 10:41 PM
That looks good to me! Direct drive with a planetary drill and your good to go in a bigger piece of equipment!

DADSGARAGE
12-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Here is the pump I'm going to try in my shovel...but again it would have to be used in bigger models.....

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Gear/22-GPM-Bi-Rotational-Pump-Motor/1220030.p

Lil Giants
12-21-2013, 09:19 AM
3.785L = 1 US ga

What kind of power do these pumps require to operate?

doodlebug
12-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Joe, which pump do you want to figure with, and at what
Pressure. I have a new app on my phone, for calculating this stuff.
Cheers, Neil.

Lil Giants
12-21-2013, 01:43 PM
The 750ml pump you have pictured with the pop can, to run it up to 400psi would take how much power?

doodlebug
12-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Hey Joe,
That little pump is good for 2,760 psi, .069kw @ 3,000 rpm and 400 psi or 27.6 bar.
Ok this app is great! I'll post a link to the spec sheet later. The pump I bought is magneto drive or sqaure tang. I'll be talking to the Marzocchi people in March
At ConExpo. Hope to have some decent options.
Cheers, Neil.

doodlebug
12-22-2013, 12:57 AM
This is the Marzocchi catalog, go to page 14 (the pdf page at the bottom of the screen)
http://www.marzocchipompe.com/system/9562/Catalogo_025_ITA_ING.pdf
I have the UK 0.5 D 0.50 pump, the closest one to 300 milliliter/minute is the 0.25 D 18

Cheer's, Neil.

cosworth34677
12-22-2013, 09:10 AM
i can't see the links:mad:

doodlebug
12-22-2013, 01:11 PM
i can't see the links:mad:

Is your "pop up blocker" interfering? Still works.
Cheers, Neil.

DADSGARAGE
01-08-2014, 12:39 AM
Did you get a chance to try out the pump yet???
Now you need to find some small valves for controls...:D

doodlebug
01-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Not yet, I'm working on sourcing some larger size valves, while
I'm at Con Expo in March , less than 3 gpm. Will keep you in the loop!
Cheers, Neil.

P.S. My preferred scale is 1:8, that's why I'm looking at commercial
Off the shelf products.

DADSGARAGE
01-08-2014, 01:03 AM
I have been thinking about using/trying some small pneumatic valves....they're not very costly but they are somewhat big.....and have a low pressure rating...or you just need bigger cylinders...LOL
KP

RCP57
01-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I have been thinking about using/trying some small pneumatic valves....they're not very costly but they are somewhat big.....and have a low pressure rating...or you just need bigger cylinders...LOL
KP

Be careful of the pneumatic rotary valves. My father in-law machined a valve block for my Volvo that was very close to the rotary style that Princess Auto sells. At 30 bar you could barely turn the valves with pliers. Too much surface area for that kind of pressure.

dsdmax
01-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Be careful of the pneumatic rotary valves. My father in-law machined a valve block for my Volvo that was very close to the rotary style that Princess Auto sells. At 30 bar you could barely turn the valves with pliers. Too much surface area for that kind of pressure.

I was thinking/planning on making rotary valves. Looks like they would be easier to make versus spool valves (i would be concerned about trying to hold the required tolerance on such a narrow shaft... though maybe if i started with a reamed hole and ordered precision ground shafts to start that might not be too bad... im assuming each spool would need some kind of seal, o-ring? but tolerance between the lands would still hve to be good to keep from leaking between the lands. what is the diameter for one of these mini spools? .125 .1875? something bigger?

If memory serves i think the rotary valves your father inlaw made were smaller than a penny...

sorry - thinking out loud :) what about pressure release valves? are people making those? buying or ignoring that option? i would assume some adjustability would be nice ... i guess i have to learn something about spring pressure as well... at least making those on a lathe is not difficult...

waiting on my motors from robotmarketplace ... once i get those i can start on mounts and drive train... might need to source some bevel or spiral bevel gears (i dont think the spiral bevels will be necessary or worth the additional cost though).

RCP57
01-08-2014, 06:18 PM
I was thinking/planning on making rotary valves. Looks like they would be easier to make versus spool valves (i would be concerned about trying to hold the required tolerance on such a narrow shaft... though maybe if i started with a reamed hole and ordered precision ground shafts to start that might not be too bad... im assuming each spool would need some kind of seal, o-ring? but tolerance between the lands would still hve to be good to keep from leaking between the lands. what is the diameter for one of these mini spools? .125 .1875? something bigger?

If memory serves i think the rotary valves your father inlaw made were smaller than a penny...

sorry - thinking out loud :) what about pressure release valves? are people making those? buying or ignoring that option? i would assume some adjustability would be nice ... i guess i have to learn something about spring pressure as well... at least making those on a lathe is not difficult...

waiting on my motors from robotmarketplace ... once i get those i can start on mounts and drive train... might need to source some bevel or spiral bevel gears (i dont think the spiral bevels will be necessary or worth the additional cost though).

You are right about the valves my father in-law made... He made two sizes. The first one he made had 1.5" plugs and didn't work(couldn't turn it with pliers). The second valve was made small like you said (5/8" plugs)and is what operates the hydraulics in my Volvo excavator. It has worked very well with no issues other than it leaks down a little. In an attempt to fix things he also increased the tolerances in the valves when he made the smaller setup and this lead to the leak down issues. I made my own valves for my Tigercat but have yet to run fluid through them...