PDA

View Full Version : so am i right in thinking?

cosworth34677
11-04-2013, 08:53 AM
am i right in thinking that one big A@@ hydraulic cylinder is better then two
thinner ones? would it be stronger? or just slower? or both. i need more power for a dump bed and cant really add to the angle no more room.

help please

RCP57
11-04-2013, 09:26 AM
It's all about the size of your piston:eek:.... If you have two cylinders that combined together have the same surface area as a larger single cylinder you won't gain anything. You have to increase the total size of your piston's surface area to gain more power.

Espeefan
11-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Two things determine the max force of a hydraulic cylinder. The area of the piston, and the pressure of the oil pushing it.

A note of interest that some might not think all that much about. The rod end side of a cylinder's piston has less surface area, as opposed to the opposite end, so cylinders have less lifting or pulling capacity, from that direction. They also cycle faster when you fill them from the rod end side because there is less volume to fill with oil.

cosworth34677
11-05-2013, 03:29 PM
ahh so a big cylinder will be better as long as it bigger then the combined size of the two smaller ones

Stuff
11-06-2013, 12:52 PM
for lifting yes.

hbquax
11-07-2013, 12:20 PM
But you have to compare piston area, not diameter.
A = D^2 * pi/4
So, double inside diameter means four times the piston area!

Lil Giants
11-07-2013, 01:44 PM
But you have to compare piston area, not diameter.
A = D^2 * pi/4
So, double inside diameter means four times the piston area!

I had to the math to check... and you are correct. ;)

A 16mm bore has 4x the area (power) of an 8mm bore.

Even if you only increased bore 50% for one cyl, you'll still have more area (power) than the twin cyls.

tracksntreadslou
11-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Clippard has this niffty little calculator on their site as well as sells cyclinders for a decent price
http://www.clippard.com/calculators/bore-size

cosworth34677
11-09-2013, 06:21 PM
well i've been trying to make a cyclinder for a week. seemed simple not more to it then i thought! so i got to by one. so thanks for the info guys. so my next question is is ther such a thing as a single action hydraulic cylinder? i try to make one but i get blow by or
can't get the thing to work smooth. the two i have in the vid are pretty week and leak pretty bad.