PDA

View Full Version : Possible Spring Show in Monticello, Il

heavy_duty
12-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Hey guys.I have this hair brain idea to do a show in Indy this spring around late April or 1st week of May. I chose metro Indy because it's not fair for you guys to drive to st.louis all the time.I will ask Travis and a few other Indiana guys for possible sites to host it at.I want this show to be a 2 day show full of fun and trucking with a purpose. I am open to All suggestions and ideas.This is Our club.Let me know what you all think, and let's get it done.Turtle man out.

Ed

pigeonfarmboy
01-02-2014, 11:01 PM
I'll support whatever and wherever we decide to go. It's the same distance for me either way.

I thought about hosting an event here at our model flight field. The hotel is 1 minute from the site and we would have locked access to our hangar. I will bring up the idea at our next meeting. There's a large concrete pad for trucks and an open area to dig. (We would just have to fill in the holes at the end of the weekend.) There are many picnic tables with access to power. Bringing tables into the hangar would also be an option. (And a great place to hide from rain if it were to happen.)

http://www.elifield.com/history.html
Just to the left of the hangar is where I imagine our dedicated area would be. Pending discussion with the other members of course. There's also an rc off-road track at the facility.

woodhog
01-03-2014, 10:20 AM
I also will support a spring meet ,the East coast is too far to drive for a 3\4 of a day to play . Can bring most of my stuff and maybe some new projects.:D

Snochaser
01-03-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm in!!!

9W Monighan
01-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Aren't you forgetting there is already a three day show in April.
http://www.cabinfeverexpo.com/

YoungGunz
01-04-2014, 12:00 AM
East coast is too far for me too, and I want to play for a couple days if I'm going to come. Indy and St Louis are about equal for me, I would certainly try to make it if the date was set. Dirt is always more fun in my opinion and we can build something that way. I think making an overpass or similar structure could be a fun goal to set out toward. Hauling with a purpose is much more satisfying.

ihbuilder
01-04-2014, 06:48 AM
I also will support a spring meet ,the East coast is too far to drive for a 3\4 of a day to play . Can bring most of my stuff and maybe some new projects.:D

Cabin Fever expo is min 2 days of running time ;)
This sounds great , not sure I can make it being close to CFE date

Stuff
01-04-2014, 10:40 PM
regardless for us guys in saskatchewan its a half hour difference driving to either. It's been a dream of ours to go there for quite a few years. just timing..

Dieselchopper
01-05-2014, 11:52 AM
regardless for us guys in saskatchewan its a half hour difference driving to either. It's been a dream of ours to go there for quite a few years. just timing..

So true, I need several months planning time to make any distant show as it involves booking time off work. As a manager where I work it can be a bit harder to plan. Still gona try to make the normal timed Indy this year.

CrewCab59
01-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Would the spring Indy meet replace the fall Indy or both?

Tamiya Cowboy
01-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Would the spring Indy meet replace the fall Indy or both?

No there will be both shows if this happened... The big show would still be in AUG this would just be another show for guys to go to.

pigeonfarmboy
02-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Submitted the idea of a construction meet at the field. Everyone was quite excited to see this happen.

April 26-27 or June 14-15 are two weekends that would be open for us to use the facility. There is a huge concrete pad for the trucks to drive and I'm open to suggestions if you guys would want me to have some dirt or sand hauled in to make a pit area for the equipment.

Cool thing about this place is if it were to rain, we can move inside and still be able to play. Also if you're a model airplane enthusiast, bring your plane(s). This is one of the nicest fields in the US.

Again there is a large Best Western less than a mile from the facility and many places to eat. (We have a nice grill at the field so I'd be happy to cook up some burgers/brats/dogs for lunch both days)

I would ask for an entry fee to be donated to the club for the use of this space. I suppose the amount would depend on how many people could come. If we get enough entries I could also try to get Horizon involved to maybe put together some goodies for prizes or maybe gift certificates.

Another thing I would really like to do is put together a Radio Seminar with one of our Spektrum guys. Possibly make videos of this that would bring traffic to RCT&C. I see too many guys in our hobby get frustrated when setting up radio systems and I'd love to simplify this for them. I think a battery seminar could greatly benefit all of us as well. I'd be happy to arrange both if there's enough interest.

Whatcha think?

Snochaser
02-07-2014, 07:22 PM
I'd prefer the June date.....more build time....better chance of it being dryer also.

woodhog
02-07-2014, 07:32 PM
It all sounds good to me :D Also love the idea of a radio and battery seminar,I just have had little experience setting up my charger to charge and discharge nihm packs and trying to program that way too fancy charger:(

pigeonfarmboy
02-07-2014, 07:43 PM
I prefer the June date also. Better chance of nicer weather.

Ideally I'm hoping many of our club guys can attend and can help anyone out with any questions. The seminars would have a Q&A section too. I would compile some questions on here that people could ask that can't attend.

Also FYI this location is 2.5 hours Northeast of St. Louis so it would shave some time off many people's drives.

fhhhstix
02-07-2014, 09:32 PM
I would be in. Good idea Nate and thanks for putting this kind of effort into a show.

Travis

Tamiya Cowboy
02-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Nate... What town and state I would be interested since it might be closer not sure on the June date we have semi truck shows almost every weekend but there is one we dont so it may work..Oh and is there any camp grounds close?

ekim
02-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Any idea how far this would be from Puxico Mo... Will travel from Idaho around that time frame to visit family......

Michael (ekim)

pigeonfarmboy
02-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Nate... What town and state I would be interested since it might be closer not sure on the June date we have semi truck shows almost every weekend but there is one we dont so it may work..Oh and is there any camp grounds close?

It's located in Monticello Illinois, 20 miles Southwest of Champaign-Urbana.

I believe the closest RV-Style campground with hookups would be Clinton Lake about 30 minutes drive. We have had air guys in the past use the field for parking their rv/trailer and that's something I can definitely check on, but there's no hookups for power/septic.

Any idea how far this would be from Puxico Mo... Will travel from Idaho around that time frame to visit family......

Michael (ekim)

Looks like just under 5 hours.

Izzy
02-08-2014, 12:23 AM
I'm in ...... sounds terrific!

hey nate - are there time restrictions? what about us guys who like to drive hard all night??

pigeonfarmboy
02-08-2014, 10:19 AM
I don't see any issues. I have keys to the gate so we can play as late as we want. Might have to use some shop lights or some headlamps but other than that we'd be set.

JAMMER
02-08-2014, 12:27 PM
If it is in June I might give it a shot. Ed

YoungGunz
02-08-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm in for either of the dates, I prefer the June date though. I like the entry fee idea. Dirt gets my vote too! ;)

TRUCKMAKER
02-08-2014, 01:46 PM
I'm in if the dates work out, probably won't know for sure until the week of the show.

BiLLy bOb
02-08-2014, 01:53 PM
i'll mark my calander and make plans for both dates. june, i may or may have moved by then.

flatdeck
02-08-2014, 01:53 PM
So were is this show going to be??

BiLLy bOb
02-08-2014, 09:05 PM
So were is this show going to be??

flatdeck,
what i understand from pigeofarmboys post yesterday (((post#12 page 1))), Monticello, IL...
Louie

ihbuilder
02-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Hmmm :thinking::thinking::D you did say dirt pile right :D

heavy_duty
02-08-2014, 09:20 PM
DUDE I AM THERE. Please let me know how I can help.Time to get building.:D

ED

pigeonfarmboy
02-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Hmmm :thinking::thinking::D you did say dirt pile right :D

So long as it passes a vote at the next meeting. I plan to have a permanent dedicated area for dirt. :drool:

Seems like everyone is onboard. I'll probably aim for the June date and make sure that goes through with all the club guys.

flatdeck
02-09-2014, 03:46 PM
So the Spring Indy show is not in Indy.....

Wayne

Lmackattack
02-09-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm 2hs 45 away.(chicago).. If I have that Saturday off I will head down for a day or 2. I also vote for a June date as it will be warmer out. I also like the idea of having dirt. I prefer running the off road. If we have guys with machines we can built a road or just move piles. Something better than just driving in circles....

pigeonfarmboy
02-10-2014, 10:05 AM
So the Spring Indy show is not in Indy.....

Wayne

This is a thread to discuss the planning of an event. If you'd like to suggest or coordinate a location in Indy, we're all ears.

Lil Giants
02-10-2014, 09:29 PM
I guess to lessen the confusion, maybe the thread be changed to Possible Spring Show in Monticello, Il. :)

flatdeck
02-10-2014, 10:45 PM
The reason I was asking is I might be able to make Indy, but Monticello .Ill is just that much farther, I have to think about that it is all most 1100KM. for me.

Wayne

Lmackattack
02-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Wayne I can drive Chicago to mosport raceway in about 10 hrs in a semi...this would be a few hrs farther...it's a hike for sure!

pigeonfarmboy
02-24-2014, 11:40 AM
I'll start a new official thread when it's time for it but wanted to update you guys:

June 14-15 is the date we'll be aiming for. This will be formally finalized at our Club Meeting first week of March, but our President is onboard and really excited to see this meet happen. I will start all planning for hotel, dirt, roadway barriers, etc.

The radio seminar and battery/charger seminar will be held each day around noon. There will be no cleanup time needed on Sunday so anyone can leave as early as they need.

The idea I have for the entry fee is this: Maximum $20 for the whole weekend for a pit pass. (Spectators will not be charged) The more guys that show up, the smaller that entry fee will be. I think it's fair to waive this fee if your travel time to get to the event is more than 5 hours. This entry fee is put in place to compensate our facility for hosting this event. For instance power will be provided for the pit area. If we decide to have lunch prepared at the field I will pay for this out of my pocket since I'm the host and don't have to drive anywhere.

Arrangements can be made with me if you need to ship models and fly here. Best airport would be Bloomington IL. Champaign is closer but will usually cost a bit more.

I will be contacting our Vendors. I would love to see any/all of them attend and have parts to sell for no fee to them.

Any other ideas please post or send me a pm.

JAMMER
02-24-2014, 01:28 PM
I live over 5 hours away in Syracuse New York but would have no problem paying $20.00 for me and my wife. I have to pay at Cabin Fever so why not you to. It cost money to put these things on and I for one appreciate the thought and work it takes to put one of these things on.

BiLLy bOb
02-24-2014, 06:42 PM
i'm looking at 7+. however, no need to discount enterance for me, i agree with jammer, it costs do something like this. got my calander marked. as long as i haven't moved by then and finances allow at that time, i'm gonna plan on being there.

pigeonfarmboy
02-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Trying to entice people in whatever way possible haha ;) If you'd still like to pay, it will go straight to the club. We will use it to pay our costs of running the facility.

Depending on the turnout, it's possible that this event could be on par with some of the larger air events put on here. It's going to be a thrill to turn some of these air guys over to the dark side :D

While I am putting this event together I am also benefitting by getting a permanent "clubhouse" to play in my home town. I'm at the field every other day anyways for work or flying so it's gonna be awesome. I do hope that it gets more people involved in the hobby as well. I'm sure the guys closer would probably want to meet every few months.

I do plan to do this as an annual event. It looks like Travis has it covered but if Indy were to ever fall through I could host a Fall event here as well.

pigeonfarmboy
02-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Curious if there's enough people that do not like to play in real dirt? If so, we can accommodate with an area for rubber as well.

BiLLy bOb
02-26-2014, 06:42 PM
wish i could play in the dirt. only have a KH and flatbed. there's a **little** chance that ill have a dirt mover of some kind by then. what is there to do recreation wise around town? if im able to make it, my wife and 2 daughters will be with me. They might have some interest to watch, but i know 2 of them will eventually get bored. my 4yo, she'll be right there all day. are tanks allowed?

Lmackattack
02-26-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm going to try to make the show...will bring all my tucks and stay for a day and head home or get a hotel if we get a good turn out.

As far as meterial I will haul what ever everyone wants. Personally I like anything the trucks can easly drive on and machines can dig,push in...

rsd53
02-26-2014, 09:35 PM
I'd be up for the trip. It would give my truck a chance to play with others for the first time.

pigeonfarmboy
02-26-2014, 11:41 PM
wish i could play in the dirt. only have a KH and flatbed. there's a **little** chance that ill have a dirt mover of some kind by then. what is there to do recreation wise around town? if im able to make it, my wife and 2 daughters will be with me. They might have some interest to watch, but i know 2 of them will eventually get bored. my 4yo, she'll be right there all day. are tanks allowed?

There's a nice kids park/playground in town about 5 minutes from the field. We will also be right by a railway museum that should be running diesel or steam locomotives. I am also planning on building a sandbox so kids can play with all my bruder toys on the side.

Tanks would be fine. You can bring any RC vehicle or plane. It's nothing special, but there's an offroad track in the back of the facility. Anything that's not slow scale speed will be asked to drive off the main truck/construction site. No reason to damage a quality model with a basher.

BiLLy bOb
02-27-2014, 03:47 PM
There's a nice kids park/playground in town about 5 minutes from the field. We will also be right by a railway museum that should be running diesel or steam locomotives. I am also planning on building a sandbox so kids can play with all my bruder toys on the side.

Tanks would be fine. You can bring any RC vehicle or plane. It's nothing special, but there's an offroad track in the back of the facility. Anything that's not slow scale speed will be asked to drive off the main truck/construction site. No reason to damage a quality model with a basher.

understand completely on the speed issue. no issue with that at all. she's only 5 so she'll be using my tamiya tank instead of her henglong, i can limit its speed. her HL is wide open only in both forward/reverse so its not coming.

planes, hahaha, i got em, never learned to fly them. now gotta sell them. too big to ship.:(

i'll tell the wife about the museum and park. hopefully between them and shopping choices, hopefully they'll be happy.

Lil Giants
02-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Arrangements can be made with me if you need to ship models and fly here. Best airport would be Bloomington IL. Champaign is closer but will usually cost a bit more.

I'm sure you were thinking of me when you dreamt this idea and I thank you for the consideration, but unless the date changes to early or mid July? I won't be able to attend to after I retire 15yrs now. :(

You are doing a great job with the planning/organizing of such a show Nathan, I'm sure it will grow to be one of the best shows to attend every year in no time. :cool:

pigeonfarmboy
02-28-2014, 02:50 PM
I'm sure you were thinking of me when you dreamt this idea and I thank you for the consideration, but unless the date changes to early or mid July? I won't be able to attend to after I retire 15yrs now. :(

You are doing a great job with the planning/organizing of such a show Nathan, I'm sure it will grow to be one of the best shows to attend every year in no time. :cool:

I'm aware of the timing conflict this is going to pose to farmers. It's a bummer for sure. Maybe an option would be to rotate the dates every year so we can get you down here.

pigeonfarmboy
03-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Approval for work area! I'll be posting an official thread with all info needed and should have the hotel group rate by then as well. Really excited for this!

Snochaser
03-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Sweet! Thumbs up.

YoungGunz
03-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Awesome!! I'll have to start planning for this one!