PDA

View Full Version : PMed You

fhhhstix
11-03-2010, 08:49 PM
What is up with posting PMed ya in BUY/SELL or any other thread is it just to pad your post count? In the upper right corner there is a new mesage notification area and it will show you that you have a new PM! In the buy sell area why not just post the item you are intrested in and others won't waist there time asking for it to!:rolleyes:

Travis

Tamiya Cowboy
11-03-2010, 09:42 PM
It is not for padding your post count Travy it is for getting first shot on a item..

Fireman700
11-03-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure if this forum is setup on the same style as scale based on layout I am assuming it is - I would see where it would alert me of a PM, but I also see Paul's point of if 2 people are saying they PM'd me I like to give it the first come first serve.

fhhhstix
11-03-2010, 10:13 PM
It is not for padding your post count Travy it is for getting first shot on a item..

Then why not just say I will take the specific item. I don't know about every body else but I check my PMs when I first log in. I just think it is kind of redundent but if that is how they do it so be it.

Espeefan
11-04-2010, 02:22 AM
It's easier to say 'PMed you' then to say 'I would like to call first dibs on that item you have listed for sale.' :D The problem is sometimes everyone wants the same item, and I know I look to see who replied first to the for sale thread, and then I check PMs.

firefighter30
11-04-2010, 08:25 AM
I agree with Travis on this. when someone has multiple items for sale instead of i PMed you just type in what your interested in it is that simple.

Fireman700
11-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Hmmm - If the post contains multiple items I think you should public say which one you are interested in - instead of the "PM'd you" - that way if multiple people are interested they realize the item may be spoken for.

Being open about transactions is important - i like the "sold pending payment" which tells me that the item is gone unless the deal falls thru. I would say deals that reference trades and wheeling and dealing to lower prices should be done in private either thru the forum PM's or though e-mail. I guess its all about how public you are willing to go with your buying/selling/trading.

Claus
11-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Who cares? Nothing here is that big of a deal.

tc1cat
11-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Why not write- PMed you about __________. This way everyone knows that a certain item is off limits until we are told available again. Sellers should let prospective buyers know when items are sold or available. I think the one thing I dislike the most about the whole procedure is when the seller never lets people know when things are sold or available again. Adding items to the original post is very confusing. If you need to update what you have for sale do it in a new post that way there is a date for everyone to see. Not a new thread just a new post in the original thread.
With all of the moderators we seem to have, would it be too much to have at least one monitor the sell/buy threads and delete threads when items have been sold? This may already be occurring but is not very evident.
Claus, I beg to differ with you. There are times when the items for sale might be just what you need to finish a vehicle with no other source for the item- discontinued items for one.

Time for me to get off of my soapbox!

Lynn

ihbuilder
11-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Lynn , it would be nice if sellers let us know when items are sold what I've seen on another site , when an item gets to a certain page ( been on a long time ) it goes by by wether it gets sold or not . as for PM'd ya , I've learned early on when I see that usually means its gone unless stated otherwise .

IHSteve

Claus
11-04-2010, 07:41 PM
tc1cat, I think you misunderstood my comment. I simply meant to say if a guy writes 100 "pmed ya"s or simply sends a pm and doesn't announce it makes no difference in my life.

fhhhstix
11-04-2010, 09:09 PM
It's easier to say 'PMed you' then to say 'I would like to call first dibs on that item you have listed for sale.' :D The problem is sometimes everyone wants the same item, and I know I look to see who replied first to the for sale thread, and then I check PMs.

I am not saying your way is wrong but this is what I was taking about just because some one post PMed ya doesn't mean they were the first to pm you especially the new guy who hasn't been on a forum before and doesn't know how you, me or another member does things on the forum and from the response I received we all have different ideas of how it should work.

I send PMs all the time asking if stuff is sold so we can delete threads that are no longer needed but if the member that started the thread puts up a (please delete) post when the deal is done it would help out a lot.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I am happy with the response's to this thread it gives some ideas on etiquette for the buy sell section. I can understand the PMed ya on a single item add but when it involves multiple items it gets confusing. Every time some one post PMed ya and PMed ya back it alerts you that there are new post in that thread and I just wasted time to look at PMed ya back instead of the parties involved looking at their new messages

Tamiya Cowboy
11-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Most guys to say PM on such n such item..

fhhhstix
07-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Well I am digging up this old thread because I was reading through the buy and sell and something caught my eye. In the thread there were two replies PM sent and replied. So at this point there were no post about the item still being for sale so I would assume it was sold but another member asked if the item was still for sale and the reply was yes. I guess my point being if my item was still for sale I would want other members to know it and if it was sold it would let the mods know they can delete it.:cool:

Travis

WhiteWolf McBride
09-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Guys...

I have to agree with Admin in saying that posting in the thread " PM'd ya" is pointless padding, and if people persist after being warned, perhaps they loose value off theor count? EG: I have 45, but have been warned about the posting of " PM'd ya about ~whatever~" in a buy/sell thread. Admin takes actionb, and subtracts the pointless PM notify's ~times TWO~ off my count (assume its 3, I loose 6, taking me down to 39.

As for who got first dibs, aren't PM's time-coded? If not, its EASY for the sender to state the time he's sending it... though he can lie too. But liars often get caught (especially if you time it wrong)

Just the opinion of an experienced board'r, and moderator.

WhiteWolf

1985 kenworth
01-08-2012, 02:08 PM
i am just wondering what does it matter how many posts you have or have not i'm sorry i must be missing something what is the signifigance of how many posts you have ....if you get a certain amount what happens:confused: then could someone enlighten me on this i agree with everyone should be first come first served but in all fairness if the item was sold then the person who posted it needs to delete the item and or update your posting it makes it easier for both sides of the fence :D

1985 kenworth
01-08-2012, 02:13 PM
i also agree that if it is a padding issue for posts then the person doing it should be disiplined for it but how would you prove that otherwise:confused:unless the person wrote pm'ed you 10 times in a row it should be left up to the descretion of the administrator or moderators to get the person who is doing it to prove themselves otherwise i think thats fair...maybe i am way off base

Snowman
01-08-2012, 02:20 PM
The "pm'd you" post can be handy as a failsafe in case the person's inbox is full or they haven't noticed the pm. That way, they are either prompted to check their pm's if for whatever reason they didn't receive notification, or if their inbox is full, they know who might have tried to contact them first if several people are after their item for sale.

fhhhstix
01-08-2012, 03:40 PM
The "pm'd you" post can be handy as a failsafe in case the person's inbox is full or they haven't noticed the pm. That way, they are either prompted to check their pm's if for whatever reason they didn't receive notification, or if their inbox is full, they know who might have tried to contact them first if several people are after their item for sale.

Yes but if there are several items listed you don't know which one they are interested in and in some cases a member may think some one has spoken for the item they were wanting and just go on and forget about it. Personally if you type PMed you and don't also mention the item you want in my thread then you put first dibs on nothing.

Travis

texken
01-08-2012, 04:20 PM
a lot of words from all to say (i will PM you for the wheels)or what ever I want.

Snowman
01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Yes but if there are several items listed you don't know which one they are interested in and in some cases a member may think some one has spoken for the item they were wanting and just go on and forget about it. Personally if you type PMed you and don't also mention the item you want in my thread then you put first dibs on nothing.

Travis

Good point. I've seen it used on other forums for single items for sale. But if someone does that for a thread selling multiple items that is vague and a bit silly. Doesn't cost much to put pm'd you about x y or z. So it could be useful but only if used properly.