PDA

View Full Version : help with choosing the right radio

weemanch
01-28-2014, 01:41 AM
okay i have been out of the r/c game for awhile now, but going to get back in it this year with semis. which i am also interested in a excavator as well(thinking at current market the liebherr 944b(from premacon, like the idea of quick attachment stuff) but also looking at running either a dump truck or dump trailer or both.so basically trying to keep controller count down to a minimum, or at least one controller for the 2 trucks i want.

so ill type cliff notes of functions i am wanting/knowing i'm gonna need add more that i maybe forgetting
truck
channel 1:throttle/brake
channel 2(3 position):transmission
channel 3:steering
channel 4:?want lights and sound but pretty sure that stuffs just tied in with the receiver connections to the various things but assuming the lights take a channel to turn on and off?
channel 5: something for the dump bed/trailer
am i missing anything for a truck what about the excavator?(i am sure i'll need more for that.

excavator
channel 1: left track
channel 2: right track
channel 3: bucket
channel 4: cabin rotation
channel 5: boom in/out
channel 6: boom down/up
channel 7: lights(possibly even on/off toggle switch mounted on machine)
channel 8?: ditch bucket left and right
amything else?does the quick coupler require anything?

elliot330
01-28-2014, 03:29 AM
excavator
channel 1: left track
channel 2: right track
channel 3: bucket
channel 4: cabin rotation
channel 5: boom in/out
channel 6: boom down/up
channel 7: lights(possibly even on/off toggle switch mounted on machine)
channel 8?: ditch bucket left and right
amything else?does the quick coupler require anything?

Channel 9 : Hydraulic pump

The quick release is manual, via a small allen bolt.

I'd suggest a spektrum dx10 or dx18 if you don't like tray type radios

weemanch
01-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Is there anything else to add for a truck?

For the dump bed/trailer, i would like to do a screw type siccor lift?(hope i worded that clearly) and the dump bed i'd like it to be a hydraulic lift. So for the one itd be a on off switch or would the screw drive be 3 position switch? The hydraulic one would be same plus add a pump switch.

weemanch
01-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Channel 9 : Hydraulic pump

The quick release is manual, via a small allen bolt.

I'd suggest a spektrum dx10 or dx18 if you don't like tray type radios

to be honest both those are mildly out of budget don't have 800 to spend for a radio at this given moment.also not really liking the dx10 tabletop style controller.

which by the sounds of it i should be able to get away with a 6 channel and should be fine with all my trucks that i have planned? which i am thinking a dx6 then. whats differents on the modes etc?

fhhhstix
01-28-2014, 07:38 PM
okay i have been out of the r/c game for awhile now, but going to get back in it this year with semis. which i am also interested in a excavator as well(thinking at current market the liebherr 944b(from premacon, like the idea of quick attachment stuff) but also looking at running either a dump truck or dump trailer or both.so basically trying to keep controller count down to a minimum, or at least one controller for the 2 trucks i want.

to be honest both those are mildly out of budget don't have 800 to spend for a radio at this given moment.also not really liking the dx10 tabletop style controller.

which by the sounds of it i should be able to get away with a 6 channel and should be fine with all my trucks that i have planned? which i am thinking a dx6 then. whats differents on the modes etc?

Ok I am going to be blunt and to the point here. You mention a Premacon excavator and a dump truck or trailer and an $800 radio is out of the question. :confused: That is like saying give me the Z06 Corvette but leave out the CD player I will just take the AM radio.:rolleyes:

I would say the DX10 or DX18, bite the bullet now or latter but it will be cheaper now then buying a cheaper smaller radio that you will outgrow quickly and then end up buying the bigger radio.

Lmackattack
01-28-2014, 09:07 PM
I maybe an oddball here but I like the rc4wd 4 channel radio. $89 and you get a radio that is commonly used for r/c cars. It has the steering knob. Thats what i like with the car style radios....It also has ch 3 and 4 both on a 3 position switch. I use ch 4 for shifting the three speed transmission and ch 3 for operation of the dump bed via a speed controller... Yes there are far more whizzy radios but the simplicity and cost of it makes me like them. The down sides to this radio is it still used as batteries.

weemanch
01-28-2014, 10:09 PM
Ok I am going to be blunt and to the point here. You mention a Premacon excavator and a dump truck or trailer and an $800 radio is out of the question. :confused: That is like saying give me the Z06 Corvette but leave out the CD player I will just take the AM radio.:rolleyes:

I would say the DX10 or DX18, bite the bullet now or latter but it will be cheaper now then buying a cheaper smaller radio that you will outgrow quickly and then end up buying the bigger radio.

the great wall of china wasn't done over night. in other words don't expect me to acquire this stuff over night. the premacon will be the last thing on my list. also this will not be my only hobby i can put my income in. i do love cars and just being a adrenaline junky threw and threw this is basically a winter hobby.

weemanch
01-28-2014, 10:12 PM
8 channels + 8 model memory storage, works with MFU and all the other sound and light units. Easy to set up, even has 5 free type mixing settings. You will only need to get another radio after you have more than 8 RC models.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8991__Turnigy_9X_9Ch_Transmitter_w_Module_8ch_Re ceiver_Mode_1_v2_Firmware_.html

Chris
whats the difference between mode 1 and 2? i seen that it's the throttle is on left and other stuff is on right just assuming it's same way with the trucks but just double checking?