PDA

View Full Version : Tire size

cabs
02-15-2014, 09:11 PM
I just got done building my tri-axle tractor using a shape ways lift axle and steves super single wheels with floater tires. Question is with the 365 floaters the lift axle really doesn't come off the ground, does anyone know of a low pro floater or a way to gain height. I have stock tamiya drive tires. Are the top cad tires any taller for the drives?

flatdeck
02-15-2014, 09:55 PM
I would go through Tamiya Cowboy's build of HOT IRON. Paul uses low pro's on the lift axle...

wayne

dabears
02-15-2014, 10:52 PM
pics would help to see your setup and give better advice

Northwoods Timber toter
02-16-2014, 01:23 AM
http://www.afv-model.com/4711shop/product_info.php?products_id=3598

Check these out. AFV has awesome tires, they are expensive though!! I've purchased some for my builds and I am very happy with them. The link should take you directly to the low-pro super singles.

Northwoods Timber toter
02-16-2014, 01:46 AM
I forgot to mention the price is each not per pair. You may need to mod the tire or the rim slightly as these would be for Wedico type wheels, but you should be able to fit them to Steve's wheels as they have a solid center (between the bead area of the wheel) not like the stock Tamiya wheels here the center is "hollowed".

ihbuilder
02-16-2014, 06:48 AM
Try the Carson super wide . They're just a tad smaller in dia. . There is a company in Germany that has low pro super wide ( Veroma ) I believe .

I had this issue on my IH5900 heavy haul till I put my walking beam suspension on . But that was because I had an air ride with no air bags :rolleyes: . There shouldn't be a prob though :confused: Brian in Pa has the SS on his lift on his green Pete bucket with stock tamy susp.

cabs
02-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Heres where im at

ihbuilder
02-16-2014, 09:17 AM
you have a pic of it in the up position ? and when in up position what hits where ? The axle should touch the frame without hitting the drive shaft . At least thats how I set mine up .

cabs
02-16-2014, 09:31 AM
it really doesn't lift much. Im using russ's air bags. With the floats they are somewhat compressed already.I can get it about 1/16 off the ground compressing the bags all the way but as I put a trailer on they drag instantly. I like it either way but would like to keep it a little off the ground. Maybe I can ground some more off the mounts

cabs
02-16-2014, 10:10 AM
This shows the bags compressed on the ground

Lmackattack
02-16-2014, 12:00 PM
I think the tamiya springs are too soft for our trucks....they squat even with a empty flat bed trailer on back. I would try to add a few leafs or possible add some shims between the spring mounts and axels to get the frame hight up a little more....

can you shave any metal off the axel so it tucks up more?

This is the same kid of issues as 1:1 trucks have with big floaters on the push axel. They ride about 5" off the pavement. Go over a curb and it touches....

Saw this single wide low pro on rc4wd

http://store.rc4wd.com/LoRider-17-Commercial-114-Semi-Truck-Tires_p_1506.html

cabs
02-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Well I drilled another hole in the mount and got it 1/4 inch off the ground which I can live with. All I have to do is figure out a way to lift it. Anyone have recommendations of using a chain or some kid of servo set-up