PDA

View Full Version : Reduction question(again)

Dean
02-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Hey guys,
Today i installed the carson4:1 reduction in my globeliner
I am using the LRP crawler special 3 with mfu.
Now for my question: if i install a faster motor,will i get more torque
As well?or will it just go faster?
I really want it to haul some heavy loads.

Thx
Dean

Lil Giants
02-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Different motors have different watts of power, installing a higher rpm motor but having the same watt output won't affect your torque.

Supermario
02-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Increasing input speed to a gear reduction will not change the amount of torque out put. You have four times the torque out VS in . if you are spinning it at 1 rpm or 1,000 rpm torque is constant. Go faster? Yup. Stronger? Nope.

I've never seen it done but you could have a GRU before the tranny and another going out? Both available at PMD. I have 2 output types and they work great.

Mario

Dean
02-20-2014, 12:26 AM
I've been looking at some motors,but none of
The manufacturers give the watt output,how can
You know?

Supermario
02-20-2014, 05:08 PM
If your looking for more torque and not crazy speed the best thing to look for in a motor is the number of. "Turns" ( windings around the magnet inside ) . You can get 20, 30, 45,55 even 80 turn motors. The more turns the slower but more torque a motor has.
Another thing to consider is hand wound. vs machine wound. I'm told hand wound are better due to the care and proper placement of windings and they are more expensive.
Then you have brushless motors but I don't own any and haven't done any homework on them.:)

Mario

Lmackattack
02-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Regarding the motor turn question that is often brought up...I have 55,65, and 80 turn motors from rc4wd.they are the cheep $10 motors they sell.

the 55 is the fastest and seams more powerfull than the 80 turn

For example the truck with a 55 turn will run up a steep hill, loaded, at little loss of speed with no struggle to it. The 80 turn on the other hand struggles and slows to a crawl. I would expect the 80 turn to pull the hill with ease if it truly has more torque...

Can someone explain if I missed something....

doodlebug
02-20-2014, 10:39 PM
Read this thread about KV ratings, http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=1993&highlight=motor+ratings
Cheers, Neil.

Supermario
02-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Regarding the motor turn question that is often brought up...I have 55,65, and 80 turn motors from rc4wd.they are the cheep $10 motors they sell.

For example the truck with a 55 turn will run up a steep hill, loaded, at little loss of speed with no struggle to it. The 80 turn on the other hand struggles and slows to a crawl. I would expect the 80 turn to pull the hill with ease if it truly has more torque...

Don't feel bad bud. Every time I read about motors I get a different explanation about turns and torque. If one thing is constant , you get what you pay for.
It is very possible for a 55 hand wound motor to be stronger than a 10 dollar 80 turn machine wound? More turns ain't better than less if not done properly :confused:

Mario

Espeefan
03-01-2014, 08:22 PM

Out of all those motors, the 55 turn should be the fastest, but the 80 turn should have the most torque. Why doesn't it? There could be lots of reasons, but motors are not all created equal. Especially not when you are only spending $10.

Espeefan
03-01-2014, 08:49 PM
I've been looking at some motors,but none of
The manufacturers give the watt output,how can
You know?

Some manufacturers give this information, and some don't. It's often times more difficult to find this information for brushed motors than brushless. Usually because brushless motor power consumption is often times more important for sizing battery packs, and figuring out run-times. RC aircraft modelers always want to maximize their flight time, and brushless is so common place with those models, the specs are usually published.

If you do happen to know a specific motor's current consumption and you know the voltage it is running on, use this formula.

wattage = voltage * current

By the way, 1 horsepower = 745 watts.

As far as motor torque is concerned, the rule of thumb is brushed motors with more turns will produce more torque, but there are other variables to consider too. Hand wound vs. machine wound - it definitely makes a difference. In mass production, machine wound rotors can't match a hand wound rotor. The difference is the wire is wrapped more tightly, when done by hand, and more uniformly. The tighter and more uniform the armature wraps are, the stronger the magnetic field will be, when the current flows. Other things that have an effect on magnetic field strength include wire size, as well as the type of brushes used. So there can actually be more to a motor's performance, than just the number of turns.

Dean
03-02-2014, 04:14 AM
This is what i found out in the past week,
I had the lrp crawler special in my truck(55turns)wich was to fast
And not a whole great deal of torque,mounted the
Carson 4:1 reduction,loooots of torque but slowed the truck down
A whole lot,couldn't keep up with walking speed.
Next i installed a holmes hobbies torquemaster 45 turns,now its a little
Faster than walking speed,wich is good i think and has a whole lot of
Torque.
I am glad to have found a combination that
Works well for me,with a lot of help from everyone
Around here!!

Thanks
Dean