PDA

View Full Version : Motor uestion about turns,vs speed,vs torque

Lmackattack
02-24-2014, 10:38 AM
I have used several different motors in my builds. Scales speed and power being the main goals.

My question is why does my tamiya 35 turn motor seam more powerfull than my rc4wd 80 turn motor? I thought the 80 turn would be a much better for pulling?

I put the 80 turn in my 6 wheel dump truck to get a slower scale speed and more power but it seams like it has much much less power. My 35 turn would run up a hill with a full load in the dump bed. I put the 80 turn in and it almost stalls it out?

Is it that the rc4wd is not a good quality what other mfg make a good pulling slow rpm motor?:confused:

Bo Wallen
02-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Hi I'm thinking this is a good thing to look at. http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=1993&highlight=motor+ratings

Lmackattack
02-24-2014, 11:32 AM
Thank you Bo. I had seen that thread in my search....I'm not using brushless for now but just can't seam to find a quality high torque slow rpm motor that will bolt up to the stock transmission...I have heard people comment on lathe motors and some use motors out of screwdrivers. Just wondering what others use...I know reduction boxes can be used in line but if I can avoid that I will.

Bo Wallen
02-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Hey
I think I tried most of the motors on the market. Today I am using Integy 85 turn in all of my trucks with 9 tooth pinion. not the 6-8 tooth.....Reason to small pinion hurt the plastic gear in the gearbox to much. ECS I use is Novak super rooster. it's overkill I know but so smooth.

Lmackattack
02-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks for that info. I will look up that motor. I agree the 6 tooth pinion does chew up the gear in the trans. It also makes it so I have to puss pace the motor back.

. I have tried the rc4wd 55,65,80 turn motors and they are all gutless with a fully loaded truck. They just seam to slow them down more than the stock tamiya motor.

Bo Wallen
02-24-2014, 12:52 PM
That's my experience to. No fun with a bucket full of useless motors under the bench (Thinking I can put them on pallets and haul them around) I use a motor dresser to test the motors before I put them in the truck's (save e lot of time and $) The Integy motors I tested was of less than 5% In a bundle of 25 tested. The others I tested was all over the planet. I have Integy 65 turn that is a golden happy day art of work stronger than any thing I tested so far.....its only one and I am going to take it apart when it's done and see what kind if turn it has....must be an accident on the assembly line.

Lmackattack
02-24-2014, 02:33 PM
I searced ebay and no luck on an 80 turn but i found a 65 turn integy so Bought that for one of my hi-way trucks. If I like the speed it has or want a little slower I will try looking for the 80 turn. A quick test between an Integy 65T vs a rc4wd 65T will be in order.

Bo Wallen
02-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Here you go http://www.ebay.com/itm/331066863283?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Lmackattack
02-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Man I searched for 30 mins thru the pages........picked that one up too!

Bo Wallen
02-24-2014, 04:04 PM
Sitting there for months ;0) Glad you scoped that one up ;0))
I can pull 35 LBS with my Old Donkey (GlobeLiner)

Lil Giants
02-24-2014, 08:44 PM
You can't beat this option for more power, there's no motor replacement out there that will come near to equal it. The kit stock motor & pinion will be perfect with it.

http://www.gardentrucking.com/products.tpl?command=search&db=cma/parts.db&command=search&db=cma/parts.db&command=search&db=cma/parts.db&command=search&db=cma/parts.db&command=search&db=cma/parts.db&command=search&db=cma/parts.db&command=search&db=cma/parts.db&command=search&db=cma/parts.db&command=search&db=cma/parts.db&command=search&db=cma/parts.db&command=search&db=cma/parts.db&command=search&db=cma/parts.db&command=search&db=cma/parts.db&action=search&cart=kjsdpvsxd&wording=%5Bwording%5D&eqCATEGORYdatarq=Tamiya%20Trucks&eqMAJORCATEGORYdatarq=Products&Titlesumm=t&Titlesort=1&max=5&startAt=56

http://www.gardentrucking.com/products/Originals/T1225.jpg

ihbuilder
02-24-2014, 09:23 PM
I have a 60T venom fireball with the integy not quite 4:1 gear reduction on my IH5900 heavy haul tractor . That truck did very well in the sled pull at Indy . I used to have a 75T integy lathe in it with the "4":1 was just too slow and ripped the pinions apart in the rears pullin me around (180lbs) :D. I've only ever used integy lathe or the venom fireball so can't comment on the rc4wd

Stuff
02-24-2014, 09:44 PM
I also made the mistake of buying an RC4WD 80t motor. JUNK!! I bought an integy 55t lathe motor and it puts that 80 to shame! I used to have Novak Fifty-Five in my old rig and it was AWESOME! the 80t is going into my lift....

Lmackattack
02-25-2014, 12:27 AM
Good to hear more praise about the integy motors....yes I have tried about 3 rc4wd motors and all I consider are poor performers. They do have slower rpm the higher the turn but power seams to drop with each one also?

I do like that 4:1 but would like to try just a slow motor first ...I will post some results after the delivery

Lmackattack
03-02-2014, 12:10 PM
I installs the 80 turn integy in my black Mack and it was pretty slow even in 3rd gear. So I will use that for the lift motor in my end dump.I then put the 65 turn in the Mack and I think it's perfect. 3rd gear is a hair faster than a walking pace. And 1st gear is a good crawling gear in the off road. Looks like it It has enough wheel rpm to get over soft spots and keep the truck moving.

Thanks for the suggestion on using integy motors....

Bo Wallen
03-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Cool ;0)
what gear ratio do you use ? and how is the Integy 85 turn ?

Lmackattack
03-02-2014, 03:44 PM
I used an rc4wd 6 tooth pinion with the rest of the drive train stock.

The 85 turn with a 6 tooth pinion is in my opinion way slow for a truck. Top gear with the 85 turn was about the same speed at firts gear with a 65 turn. I like to have a little of both for gears, slow for the off road and one that will keep up with me walking yet wont flip the truck over if i mistakenly turn to quickly.

surprisingly the 85 turn is to fast for my screw drive end dump. It has power to lift the empty box but I need much more reduction to lift a heavy bed of dirt.. I tried using the cheap rc4wd 4:1 reduction but it still moves the screw to quickly.

I'm trying to source a 16:1 in hopes that will lift the box when loaded.

Bo Wallen
03-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Hey
The 6 toot pinion is way small it will destroy the gear fast.......I tried that and it lasted less than 20 hours. I changed to a 9 toot pinion and there is no destruction at all. The speed is not to slow, I can do slow tricky backing.

weemanch
03-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Lmack what about sonething like this on top of your 4:1 so can make it 8_1?
https://store.rc4wd.com/mobile/Gear-Reduction-Unit_c_28.html

Lmackattack
03-03-2014, 03:01 PM
That's the 4:1 that I have now...it is still to fast for a screw drive... I was looking at their 16:1 disruptor planatary transmission as it has metal gears and should be slower and much stronger than what I have now. My end dump will be about 35lbs when loaded. That's a lot of weight and not sure if the screw drive will lift it?

Louisbaby
12-22-2014, 12:57 AM
Sorry for digging up this old thread, But I recently found a new Noval 55 in my local hobby shop. Is this a good replacement for the stock silver can in scale speed and more torque?

Thanks

pyrosrock
12-22-2014, 07:54 AM
can i ask what voltage you are running? i have used the rc4wd motors all on 3s and i find them perfectly good, in fact in my comp crawler i have a 45turn against my mates 35turn and i keep up for the most part with way less motor stall

i did find that the rc4wd motors are a bit slow on 2s but they are good on 3s and i belive they could handle 4s if you wanted to push it!