PDA

View Full Version : Servonaut ESCs, light moules, and sound units

Espeefan
11-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I've been doing some reading on the Servonaut products and I was looking for more information, from guys who have these units installed in their models. I don't quite understand all of the functions and was wondering if someone could explain them better. I'm looking at their ESCs, sound units, and light control modules. Trying to figure out what I need, or don't need.

From what I gather, the SMX and SMT are the two sound units offered. Seems the SMX has more then one engine sound available for it, plus the turbocharger whistle, I would want. The SMX is a better version of the SMT, which has no turbo whistle. My question is do you have to run the SMX with a Servonaut speed controller? It almost looks like you have no choice. Does the SMX come with a speaker? It doesn't look like it does not.

That brings me to the ESCs. Two versions, the S20, and the M20+. From what I gather, the S20 has brake lights and backup light functions. The M20+ has those functions also, plus headlights, signal lights, and hazzard flashers. The M20+ seems to have a different type of operation. Like a cruise control of sorts? It mentions the model maintaining speed if the throttle stick is released to nuetral? Can someone explain how that works? I'm used to letting go of the throttle and a model coasting to a stop. How does the SM20+ brake and reverse? Seems like the S20 has none of the cruise control features, correct? While the S20 does not have the extra light functions, I can add them with a ML4 mini light module, and have basically the same light controls as the M20+, but without the ESC cruise control of the M20+? How do you guys like the M20+ control? Is it hard to get used to? Is there a way cruise control can be turned off, so it functions like a normal fwd/neutral/brake/reverse ESC?

The light module, the ML4 is pretty straight forward to understand. If one buys the S20 ESC, and adds the ML4, then you have all the same light output functions of the M20+. Does anyone know what the voltage output is of the ML4? They say it can be run on up to 24 volts, but the ESCs are only able to handle 12 volts. On the light output functions, if you run 12 volt battery packs, then I assume the voltage available for lights is also 12 volts?

I'm thinking I like the S20 because it lacks the cruise control functions, then I would add an ML4 light module to get the other light functions, and go with an SMX sound unit. Basically giving me the same as an M20+ and an SMX sound unit, correct?

What are you guys running for Servonaut products and how do you like them? Which units are you using in your models? If somone could explain how all this stuff works, I'd appreciate it. I'm not to good at German, and the translated English discriptions still seem a little confusing because of the wording.

Manfred
11-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Nathan,

I drive with the S20 and M20+. The S20 is a small version for construction equipment. You can drive with the Stick directly forward or backward. You need only 1 channel. For the M20+ need you 2 channels. You drive with the Stick forward. If you pull the Stick back, the truck stops. Hold the stick in the back and pull the stick to just the right or left and you switch from forward to backward and vice versa. Do you do this slowly, you can for example a servo drive from one end stop to another. The lamps you switch in the center position. Long left, then the hazard lights is on. slightly to the left indicator left just to the right indicator on the right. More to the right, light on, for quite some time and very long beam to the right everything.

I hope I wrote it for granted. My English is not so good.

Manfred

Espeefan
11-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Manfred, thanks for the information! Even with your english I am sure I understand completely what you mean. Thank you!

SonoranWraith
11-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Nathan I run the S20 but I don't have any lights wired up yet. I am planning to add the ML4 someday as well as the SMX. One thing to note is the silent operation. There is no ESC whine due to PWM since it is 16kHz.

Lil Giants
11-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Is the issue of glitch virtually eliminated with Servonaut esc's?

The 12v MTronics esc is great for trks, but not constr equip, especially models with several drive motors on one esc.

How many amps BEC is the S20?

Espeefan
11-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Joe, I think the internal BEC is only 3 amps, for both the S20 and the M20+ ESCs. I don't worry to much about the BEC ratings. External BECs can be purchased, which have up to 10 amps of supply current, but then it's another item to try and fit into the model.