PDA

View Full Version : Spektrum 18dx

Jakyat
03-26-2014, 12:13 AM
Can anyone tell me how many 3 position switches are available on the dx18? I know there is the 4 on the joysticks. If there is others, how are they configured? Eg. Toggle or dial.....

Lil Giants
03-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Essentially there is 6 3pos, 2 2pos, 2 rotary sliders on the sides & 1 dial. Any channel is assignable through the radio programming.

Spektrum has a DX9 radio, the only difference is the sliders are on the back... and it's nearly half the price of the DX18... if you weren't needing 18chs?

Jakyat
03-27-2014, 12:20 AM
Thanx for the help once again!! I am up to 9 functions already....still may be able to add more. Tell me; can you run more than nine functions with a dx9 if you use proper mix? Seems like a dumb question however with my rock crawler, using a mix, I am able to switch my rear steer off and run my winch with that channel.
Also, curious about what functions dials and sliders could be used for in our hobby? Eg, could the dial be used for a servo that you control the speed and characteristics with the dial and how fast you turn it?

Lil Giants
03-27-2014, 03:23 PM
No.
Both tx's run the AR9020 rx, but it's the X-Plus module that gives you the back 9. ;)

Your crawler, was the rear steer servo & winch esc plugged into the same ch on the rx?

One of the 3pos switches on the 8, 9 or 18 can be assigned to F Mode (flight mode), and to my understanding that's how the same stick or switch can be used for more than one ch, you can program up to three flight modes... I haven't tried it myself.

I like using the rotary sliders on the DX18 to control the tracks, on an excavator, for example... on the DX8, for some reason using a Sabertooth dual esc with it's own built in mix turned on, I couldn't get the dial for proportional for/rev & a 3pos for steering to work together... I eventually figured it out to incorporate F Mode (manipulating EPA & Reverse ch of the 3pos) to control steering so the dial could be used for for/rev, but what a headache to fine tune that precisely.. and it didn't work all that good anyway.

The dials & sliders are proportional control, like the sticks, where as the switches are on/off/on. You can adjust EPA + - to how much rpm an electric motor has, but it's either on or off, nothing in between.

You could also use the dial or sliders to control a servo... the servo arm attached to something you want to hold in a specific location at any given time indefinitely.

Jakyat
03-27-2014, 09:13 PM
You have been very helpful. I did order the xd 18. My build is up to 9 functions already and I'm only half done. The truck has been a challenge but I think the radio may be even more challenging. I will be calling on our local rc flyers to figure it out. Thank you once again.

Lil Giants
03-27-2014, 10:34 PM
You're welcome. :)

What 9 functions do you currently have? And what more to add?

Jakyat
03-28-2014, 09:51 AM
You're welcome. :)

What 9 functions do you currently have? And what more to add?

1)throttle
2) main transmission
3)two speed transfer case
4)steering
5) front lockers (both on one ch)
6) rear lockers (both on one ch)
7) live roll in center of bed
8) main winch hand made using 540 crawler motor and crawler transmission along with some other shafts/gears/chain and sprockets.....
9) secondary winch( store bought integy winch)
?10) fifth wheel flip
?11) a latching mechanism for the fifth wheel
?12, 13, 14)probably incorporate some lights and what not.