PDA

View Full Version : Radio gear questions?

W900snowman
11-12-2010, 08:23 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to set up the two stick radios like the controls in an excavator or skid loader with hand controls. Was planning on buying a system in the near future, probaly a 6 or 8 channel setup. Also what does MFU stand for in radio lingo, multi function unit I'm assuming?

pugs
11-12-2010, 08:39 PM
As I recall an MFU has a built in ESC so you don't need a seperate one, but usually limited in size.

rc_farmer
11-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to set up the two stick radios like the controls in an excavator or skid loader with hand controls. Was planning on buying a system in the near future, probaly a 6 or 8 channel setup. Also what does MFU stand for in radio lingo, multi function unit I'm assuming?

what type of equipment are you planning to buy/build? That will help determine what all you need to purchase.

W900snowman
11-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Right now I am going to try a Bruder track loader like Small Haul did. In the future I am planning for a Manitowoc dragline and a dozer. We'll see how far I get. I was hoping to be able to set up a radio to mimic the real machine controls as much as possible, would make it a little funner and much easier.

rc_farmer
11-12-2010, 10:49 PM
You can set one stick to drive fwd/rev and pivot, then set the other stick to various function. You may also need a radio with some 3-pos sw's too to minic other functions.

Losiassociated
11-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Talk with small haul he would know best for that rig.
Greg

Espeefan
11-13-2010, 10:13 PM
For what it's worth, many of the computerized radios can be programmed so that just about any channel is assigned to any stick, toggle switch, knob, dial, or slider switch. In that respect, the combinations are unlimited. There are also some radios out there with two sticks and dual slider switches next to the sticks for other channels. I believe those brands are Polk, Multiplex, and maybe the European Futaba F14, or F16 I think? Probably an ideal radio for something that requires more then 2 sticks for ease of use, although the higher end standard two stick radios often times have slide switches, which could run a track drive for an excavtor, while the sticks run the boom, dipper, bucket, and rotation. My Futaba 12FG has two slide switches on each side of the radio, about where your index fingers naturally wrap around the sides of the radio's case. You can control them with your thumbs from above, or with undex fingers from below. They can be run just like a stick. Fwd/neutral/reverse, although they are not spring loaded to neutal like the sticks. I also know my Futaba 12FG has 6 three position toggle switches which can also be assigned to any channel.

W900snowman
11-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

Espeefan, I think that Futaba 12FG is exactly what I'm looking for but with price tag that one will have to wait until I get a more serious model to put it in like an excavator or dragline.

I'm looking at the Spektrum and Futaba 7 channels right now. If Im reading it right the Heli radios don't have a ratched stick which I'm thinking would be more ideal for what I have on mind.

Thanks again for the help.

Espeefan
11-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Snowman, no problem. The 12FG is more expensive, but probably the last radio you'll ever need. By the way, Futaba has an airplane and helicopter version of the radio. The 12FGA is the airplane version. The 12FGH is the heli version. A for airplane, H for heli. Both radios have the same software in them, but depending which version you buy, the default program will be an airplane program on the 12FGA, and a heli program on the 12FGH. Both can, however, be switched to either software program. Example - you can run the airplane software on the heli radio or vise versa. Heli programs have slightly different channel mixes available.

Neither airplane radios or heli radios have a self-centering, spring loaded left stick. Airplane radios do have a rachet action, while heli radios don't and can be smoothly moved anywhere through it's range, but both sticks will stay in their last position, if you let go of them. You can do a conversion to self-centering stick for either radio. Parts are available from Futaba. I converted my 12FGH to a self-centering left stick, so now it always goes back to neutral when I let go. Just like the right stick. If you need more info on that, I replied to a thread on the forum that shows the conversion. I just have to find that post.