PDA

View Full Version : BareBones Excavators

Crash
05-05-2014, 08:30 AM
I was looking for an excavator and came across this.

http://barebonesexcavators.com/products.html

This is 20lbs heavier at 63lbs than the 4200xl and bigger.
It will lift 80lbs
I am going to save up for this one.

Has anyone bought this?
I'd love to see one in action.

ekim
05-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Looks very promosing provided I can add all the components right.... My only concern would be for me to get the tracks fully functioning and a good hydro installed....

Crash
05-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I think they said you can put the 4200xl hydraulic kit in it so that would make it easier to get the parts all in one place.
rc4wd also has the modified radio for it.

I just love the size and weight, it should be able to out dig most any production model.

As for the track motors and turntable, that shouldn't be an issue , it's ready to just install your choice of motors

Claus
05-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Looks very nice but also looks like a lot of work to get it going. There are no hydraulic lines on the boom. Wish the video and pictures would should a little more of how it's built. Surprised they don't sell a "finishing" kit.

pigeonfarmboy
05-05-2014, 09:57 AM
It seems strange they don't have a working model. Definitely a good start though. I emailed them for availability. The price isn't bad at all for what you get.

Claus
05-05-2014, 10:38 AM
When you look at some the build threads here on the Vario hoes (and other brands as well) I wonder if by the time you buy all the components the price of the BareBones is any cheaper. Maybe it can be built cheaper but the quality of parts will surly suffer.

ekim
05-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Same thought here Clause..... by the time I add up all the add ons is it really going to be more cost effective.....just not sure!

ekim
05-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Found this on you tube....

http://youtu.be/eSR272C7ITU

Claus
05-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Found this on you tube....

http://youtu.be/eSR272C7ITU

That video is on their website too, still doesn't show any provisions for any components. I wonder if for the track drives they just expect you to bolt gear head motors on? I hate the look of gear head motors hanging on the insides of the track sprockets.

Borrowing these photos form Azonic's Vario build, I love the way vario hid the drive motors in the track frames. Hopefully Barebones has something like this but I don't know. I'm reminded of the old saying "you get what you pay for".

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/gcrawler/2011-08-17225705.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/gcrawler/2011-08-17225721.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/gcrawler/2011-09-09234453.jpg

avel
05-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Interested.

modelman
05-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Crash-that is a strange video :confused: I personally would be very afraid of a machine that is shown NOT working. Probably made from junk!! Just my opinion.

Lil Giants
05-05-2014, 02:50 PM
It looks to be CNC cut parts, whether laser or waterjet, doesn't matter. But it's not designed around any particular components installation, and that will determine how much cutting & whacking you'll have to do to get it working.

The excavator itself is not going to lift 80lbs, but rather that may be the force the cyls are capable of at their maxium pressure... although they look like in the pics to be generic air cyls... so one might as well build their own so they look & function more prototypical and the fittings be in the correct locations.

$1500 is not a bad starting point, the hard part of CAD & laser cut parts is done.

I see on their site that they are considering to design a front shovel & I would certainly be interested in buying a shell of that model. ;)

fhhhstix
05-05-2014, 07:13 PM
I have tried both sending them a message and phone calls but no answer yet so I guess we will have to see if it is legit first. If it is it does seem like a great start to an excavator. The price does have me a little sceptical as well as no video of one working under its own power.

Travis

Dieselchopper
05-05-2014, 07:33 PM
I too will be following them for a shovel. Looks promising.

ihbuilder
05-05-2014, 07:46 PM
I tried calling too no answer . If legit , it would seem a side deal that father and son went together and got a bunch run at 1 time . I'm concerned with the way the carbody and track frame mates . Bearing assm. or a bolt like Don cambles models :confused:

Cooper
05-05-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm interested in what you guys find out, keep us posted. For me this is what I'm looking for. As I don't have the ability to cut odd shaped parts. No cnc but can do all the other stuff. And yes I would rather not even have the cylinders.

RCP57
05-05-2014, 09:04 PM
$1500US is a lot of money for a skeleton if it isn't set up to fit certain drive and swing motors or like Steve said, doesn't have a swing bearing. Looks like the tracks are bolted onto some sort of roller chain which isn't a bad thing but definitely isn't as nice as cast pads(look carefully and you will see some are mounted crooked). I wonder if it has a tensioner on the tracks or if they are fixed? I can see this costing as much as an RTR RC4WD hoe by the time its working. Maybe it's a good score? I guess if someone gets a call back from them then we will get some answers!

Supermario
05-05-2014, 09:41 PM
I watched the video.:eek: safe to say I've watched a few hundred hours of Rc equipment on YouTube but this is the first time I've ever seen a guy manually dig like that! :lol: what exactly did he think that was demonstrating?:confused:

I understand they may not be in the hydraulic and electronics business and just the metal but ya gotta show people the machine in Rc action right?

Claus
05-05-2014, 10:08 PM
I watched the video.:eek: safe to say I've watched a few hundred hours of Rc equipment on YouTube but this is the first time I've ever seen a guy manually dig like that! :lol: what exactly did he think that was demonstrating?:confused:

I understand they may not be in the hydraulic and electronics business and just the metal but ya gotta show people the machine in Rc action right?

Mario I would have been much more confident in the machine if He would have made some engine noises with His mouth while doing the play digging.:D Maybe a vrooom, vrooom!! or a Grrrhhh, Grrrhhh!

Supermario
05-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Mario I would have been much more confident in the machine if He would have made some engine noises with His mouth while doing the play digging.:D Maybe a vrooom, vrooom!! or a Grrrhhh, Grrrhhh!

Agreed!! Sounds like 80lbs for sure! :lol:

tracksntreadslou
05-05-2014, 10:21 PM
Looks very scookum and could be a good start ...the detail on the cab looks good as well as bucket and most everything else ..not so much with the tracks and cycinders..They also have a link on there site to this forum so chances are thay could be members ..Definatley good to see something come to market on this side of the pond

ngward79
05-05-2014, 10:29 PM
The funny thing is he has a link to this forum on his page. You'd think with his interest in the hobby and knowing of this site he'd be a member here or something. Looks promising but like the other guys pointing out the small details that do actually make a big difference in how well it would perform as is or how easy and cheap it would be to modify definitely brings some concerns. With the RC4WD version costing under $3000 RTR ( minus shipping cost ) is a hard deal to beat. But you can always get the cheap China made KAT and upgrade too but to get it up to par with reliability and performance your back up in price to the RC4WD.

Lil Giants
05-05-2014, 11:36 PM
This model is nearly twice the size of the Chinese RC4WD hoe... is any China model the new level in this hobby to aspire to? :confused: Their electronics & hydraulics are the bottom of the barrel quality!

Perhaps DadsGarage pops up to comment b/c he does this CAD & waterjet cutting for an occupation... for the time & tools involved, I don't see $1500 being that expensive for a skeleton model, swing bearing or not.

Claus
05-05-2014, 11:46 PM
This model is nearly twice the size of the Chinese RC4WD hoe... is any China model the new level in this hobby to aspire to? :confused: Their electronics & hydraulics are the bottom of the barrel quality!

Perhaps DadsGarage pops up to comment b/c he does this CAD & waterjet cutting for an occupation... for the time & tools involved, I don't see $1500 being that expensive for a skeleton model, swing bearing or not.

The BareBones does look much better than the RC4WD, we defiantly need more info on how it is built and what provisions it has but from what we can see it does look worth the money. I just hope it can be finished by a moderate hobbyist and not a machinist.

The bucket looks awesome.

Lil Giants
05-05-2014, 11:54 PM
Looks like the tracks are bolted onto some sort of roller chain which isn't a bad thing but definitely isn't as nice as cast pads(look carefully and you will see some are mounted crooked).

The track links look they are stamped out & formed to shape; which is exactly how the Stahl tracks were done. They were very durable & simple assembly.

thebigo
05-06-2014, 12:41 AM
It looked like the boom was a little wiggly when he was installing the boom Pin? Not sure I like the upper boom cylinder connection either. Wonder if the rollers are all bearings and if the drive train for the tracks are durable? lot's of questions on this machine, I think they should show more detailed pictures.

thebigo
05-06-2014, 12:51 AM
The German models I think are far above anything else out there in quality, durability and detail but not price. Guess the good thing is you can buy this excavator and modify if you wish, also you can put what ever components you want on it.

RCP57
05-06-2014, 12:52 AM
I guess it all depends on how hard it is to make it drive and swing. If you can buy 3 $20-$30 gear motors for the tracks and swing, rig up your own slew ring and afford to buy German hydraulics then it is a good buy I guess. If you don't buy German hydraulics then you might as well buy the RC4WD machine. I don't see much profit in it for them at $1500 no matter what the quality is like. I think most of us compare everything to the HK hoe because it is all we could ever afford. The German stuff is just out of the realm of reality for me. I've always wanted a Lamborghini too but that isn't happening either!lol

No matter what, it's another option and it's in North America. If they are lucky enough to stick with it their product will get better and I'm sure they will offer more things. We all have to start somewhere, whether your a seller or a buyer and I honestly hope they can make it work. I think the best part of all is that it is a father and son deal!

Reg

Lil Giants
05-06-2014, 01:18 AM
I just approved BareBonesExcavators as a member, so now they're here on the forum... perhaps some answers are soon to follow. ;)

Claus
05-06-2014, 01:20 AM
I guess it all depends on how hard it is to make it drive and swing. If you can buy 3 $20-$30 gear motors for the tracks and swing, rig up your own slew ring and afford to buy German hydraulics then it is a good buy I guess. If you don't buy German hydraulics then you might as well buy the RC4WD machine. I don't see much profit in it for them at $1500 no matter what the quality is like. I think most of us compare everything to the HK hoe because it is all we could ever afford. The German stuff is just out of the realm of reality for me. I've always wanted a Lamborghini too but that isn't happening either!lol

No matter what, it's another option and it's in North America. If they are lucky enough to stick with it their product will get better and I'm sure they will offer more things. We all have to start somewhere, whether your a seller or a buyer and I honestly hope they can make it work. I think the best part of all is that it is a father and son deal!

Reg

Reg you made a lot of good points.

liftmys10
05-06-2014, 02:42 AM
I think most are jumping the gun thinking of mostly negative opinions on this machine. If I had the time I would get it. Looks like a good size machine.

Crash
05-06-2014, 05:47 AM
I sent them an email yesterday and no reply yet.
As long as i don't have to do heavy mods, im interested.

ihbuilder
05-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Knowing what I know about setup time , the more units you run the more the cost of the setup can be spread out . To me , the price as it stands is worth it for just the sheet metal .

RCP57
05-06-2014, 10:58 AM
I just approved BareBonesExcavators as a member, so now they're here on the forum... perhaps some answers are soon to follow. ;)

Nice! I'm sure their business will pick up because of it!

Lmackattack
05-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Considering what a mass produced tamiya semi takes to fully build,mod,and electronics to get Tito operate...the base price is not that bad when considering the low volume of sales this machine will have...it looks very promising and the cost is not out of line at all....

fhhhstix
05-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

I got this email today this may answer a few of your questions.
Regards Ralph

Hello Ralph!

Thank you for your inquiry to our site. Our email has been delayed due to website maintenance and we are behind in responding to all current emails. We are working hard to get all of your questions answered as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and patience, have a great day!

Thank you!

The BareBones Excavator Team

This is the exact same message I recieved and I can guarantee my questions were completely different. so I am still a little skeptical here but that is just me.

Travis

Espeefan
05-07-2014, 01:29 AM
This is the exact same message I recieved and I can guarantee my questions were completely different. so I am still a little skeptical here but that is just me.

Travis

I got an honest and personalized email reply to all of my questions, so no worries. Be patient. I'm sure they are working on answering all the emails they got. No doubt the interest in their models exploded after it was mentioned here on the forum.

carp
05-07-2014, 05:59 AM
i got the same automated response then a day or so later a personalized email replying to what i asked the guy seemed keen to help me out since i wasnt after the whole kit.

Crash
05-07-2014, 06:20 AM
I'm still very new at this and i'm glad i posted this thread.
Eveyone was bringing up things i wouldn't think of.
This sparked an intrest and hopefully we will get all our answers.
I'm very interested in this for my first excavator but you guys made me step back and find out more.
I think ill invite the owner of barebones to come here and get involved.

Love this group.

Crash
05-07-2014, 06:35 AM
I guess barebones made an account here. Now to find him: )

Crash
05-07-2014, 05:58 PM
here is barebones link on here

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/member.php?u=10161

Crash
05-08-2014, 06:45 AM
I also got a reply. The last msh in this topic has the link to barebones. We should all move there

BareBonesExcavators
05-08-2014, 08:09 PM
Hi this is Crit and Johnny from Barebones. We would like to thank everyone for their interest in the BB390 alpha.

Although we have had the Barebones website up for a while we thought we were flying under the radar while we were still working things out and learning the landscape of this hobby. We're glad someone found us and introduced us here.

We are new to the hobby and are learning our way around. As we learned more about it our goal became one of how to figure out a way to get the prices down on construction equipment so we could get into it.

We work in our everyday life as product designers. We are in essence problem solvers for people who need something to work better, cheaper or faster.

Our first love is construction equipment and we have wanted to be a part of the r/c construction crowd for a long time. We have watched this forum and all the cool stuff in Europe, track hoes and front loaders, come along etc. Unfortunately, the prices have just seemed to go up instead of down. The products are awesome and probably deserve their huge price tags but cost is still the main barrier for most of us trying to enter the r/c construction hobby.

We did notice the Chinese finally enter the market with a pretty affordable track hoe but it didn’t, at least for us, fulfill the “cool” factor. When we drive around our town and see construction equipment working we always stop and watch. A Cat 330 is nice or a Hitachi 200 is ok…it helps us get our fix. But when they recently put in a pipeline here in Utah and a Komatsu 850 showed up to dig the trench, man we went crazy. And then when a Hitachi 1200 arrived for the really deep areas now that was heaven!

Also, just walking distance down the street from us is a Cat D10, serial number 1, and a Cat D11 working at Geneva Steel Mill. They’ve sold off the steel mill to China (don’t get me started) and are now removing the leftover slag and selling it for roadbase. When the D10 blew a head gasket we buddied up to the mechanics and hung out while they repaired it. The size of the blade and sprockets and the ripper were freaking awesome. We thought someday we’re going to do one of these in miniature.

What we want is to have the vehicles that we love be available for a good price. We love it all but a big Cat 390 or a big dozer is something to behold.

In our own quest to get an excavator however, it has always come down to the same thing…save up for a lifetime and hope to get one.

That’s pretty much what made us decide to make our own.

And we only really thought that we could make our own because we’ve had some experience doing similar things. I was a special effects artist in Hollywood for years and built the effects and miniatures for Beetlejuice, Predator, Star Trek, Alien and 85 other motion pictures.

With that said though, the other main stumbling block to making this work was that of welding, bending and assembling these things either for us to build or if they were offered as a kit. All the drilling and tapping and machining and brake pressing etc. pretty much kills the project as much as the cost.

So the challenge for us was to be able to take one of our favorite excavators, the Cat 390 and make it without the need for any welding or machine bending etc.

And we were able to do that with the BB390 that you see on the website. The whole thing was put together with nothing other than screws and rivets and formed and hand bent from laser cut guidelines.

The hydraulics on the website are just for show but we have contracted with a major hydraulic manufacturer here in the U.S. that will make them to our power ratings and the ram and barrel size to our scale specification.

What remains to be done is that there are a few dimensions on the BB390 excavator to tighten up as well as making sure the provisions for swing gears and drives fit what’s available in the market but overall it is basically there. That’s why we are calling the BB390 on the website the “alpha” version because it isn’t perfect though it did prove the concept of a no weld or machining model.

For someone who is a maverick modeler the alpha is a great starting point. However, you’ll still need to drill mounting holes, find ring gears and drive hookups and brackets etc.

So, our excavator in all honesty isn’t really finished. We just know how excited we are when we find new stuff so we thought we’d let anyone who couldn’t wait buy one even though its still in its early phases.

We chose the name BareBones because we wanted to provide the hobby with a solid, accurate, workable, strong, all metal shell or skeleton in which you could from now to eternity customize however you wanted.

With the reaction from the forum being so encouraging we are pressing forward with what will call our “beta” model. This version will be the same excavator but will include mounting holes for common motors, right angle drives, swing gear etc. from places such as Pittman or Granger so that there is less modification to do after you buy it.

The final version will be designed to fit specific motors, servos, and pumps and will be basically a plug and play model.

BareBonesExcavators
05-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Whew! Ok, well we’ve bitten off a huge chunk I know! Its a pretty ambitious undertaking. But hey, I get to design and build excavators with my son everyday which is something we love…it doesn’t get better than that.

That was a long post and we haven’t even scratched the surface of our excitement and what we hope is the future of BareBones Excavators. Thanks for allowing us to post and be a small part of the forum. We’ll try to be available and answer emails and keep good updates.

Thanks again

BareBones Excavators!

Stuff
05-08-2014, 08:30 PM
welcome aboard guys!

Lmackattack
05-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Very cool both your interest in the hoby and the model you are perfecting. I look forward to updates on both versions as I too would like a excavator some day and price is the major factor for me....

doodlebug
05-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Welcome aboard! you must be near by me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I live South of the Geneva Steel site.
Cheers, Neil.

Claus
05-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Looking forward to seeing more progress. So, when is the D11 or D10 coming along?? Ha!!

Dieselchopper
05-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Can't wait, looks good to me!

ekim
05-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Finding what we want here???? Priceless,,,,, okay not really priceless but hey.... U.S. made and available... Up here in Idaho we will be watching for a beta and padding the pocker book a bit..... Welcome and thank you for your endeavors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BareBonesExcavators
05-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Welcome aboard! you must be near by me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I live South of the Geneva Steel site.
Cheers, Neil.
Hey how cool you are from Utah!!!! We would have never have guessed anyone in Utah would be into RC construction! Next time we do a photo shoot you will have to stop by and see our excavator first hand!

Thank you for all your support

Johnny

doodlebug
05-08-2014, 11:58 PM
Hey how cool you are from Utah!!!! We would have never have guessed anyone in Utah would be into RC construction! Next time we do a photo shoot you will have to stop by and see our excavator first hand!

Thank you for all your support

Johnny

Let me know! I own and play with full size yellow iron.
Cheers, Neil.

ekim
05-09-2014, 12:01 AM
****... Idaho is not too far away...LOL you could shoot up here......yeah prolly not lol... Go getem guys!!!!

Espeefan
05-09-2014, 01:22 AM
I'm just glad to see somebody based in North America designing and developing a model for all of us on this side of the pond. I really like the German models, but it would be great if we could become self-reliant with this hobby. It's amazing to see what has already been developed and what has come to market for North American modelers building trucks. Surely the best is yet to come!

weemanch
05-11-2014, 05:17 PM
I like the idea, its nice to see something in my mind reasonably priced the german stuff looks nice, but is beyond expensive. So hopefully this ends well, are you guys planning on offering in the end the alpha,beta, and the plug and play model?

Crash
05-14-2014, 05:10 PM
as soon as there is a way to hook up gear head motors to the tracks and a ring gear in place, I am going to order one.

j_hammer
05-14-2014, 10:07 PM
iv been looking around a bit and not sure what I wanna do, thinking of ordering the first version and doing the work my self but im still undecided on what to do at the moment. would be nice to have a time frame on when the new one will be coming out.

BareBonesExcavators
05-18-2014, 11:06 PM
I like the idea, its nice to see something in my mind reasonably priced the german stuff looks nice, but is beyond expensive. So hopefully this ends well, are you guys planning on offering in the end the alpha,beta, and the plug and play model?

The Alpha Beta then plug and play will be all the same model. With the alpha and Beta you will have to do all the modifications yourself, it would be the same as RCing a Bruder. You will have to do cutting, fitting and mounting moters ect, yourself. As well source all the RC components. The plug and play will be a solid finished product that you will have to assemble.

So to answer your question no, but the final product will save you time and a lot of elbow grease!!!!

Claus
05-19-2014, 01:34 AM
Had this crazy idea hit me in the head the other day, take the BareBones hoe, remove the boom, stick and bucket, insert a lattice boom and three cable drums. It would make a very nice crawler crane, could maybe run a clam shell, dragline, elector magnet or just an erection crane. Maybe not 100% accurate model but still a pretty cool thought to me.

Crash
05-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Barebones

Is the Alpha/Beta going to have the ring gear and some way to hook into the drive sprockets on the tracks?

I'd like to get a finished product but how much would it be?

How soon will you have it past the beta stage?
I just want to get something before the ground freezes . lol

kevmeister
06-30-2014, 03:32 AM
if you guys are doing the CNC work yourself and the pre-assembly yourself, that won't leave much time for yourselves when you start taking orders. this may be a seriously dumb question, but when you do start moving product, how stripped down will you sell this? would you consider selling it at the kit level? I really don't have a problem with your price (I feel the same way you do about the entry level costs for these machines), I just think the idea of building the machine from the ground up would be cool (my father is a retired welder/heavy duty mechanic).
:)

A.ash
07-16-2014, 01:02 AM
Hey guys I am in Utah too. North in Davis county. If you need Beta help I am willing!

Alan

BareBonesExcavators
07-23-2014, 05:56 PM
We would Like to sell it in kit form for our finale product but we will have to work into this tho. Me and my father have done a number a products and we are all to familiar with the big process of building, boxing and shipping.

Hats off to your father for taking care of the wonderful heavy duty machines.

BareBonesExcavators
07-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Hey guys I am in Utah too. North in Davis county. If you need Beta help I am willing!

Alan

Sweet I think we are up to two Utah folk on here lol.

We will be sure to invite you guys to our next photo shoot.

kevmeister
07-24-2014, 01:12 AM
We would Like to sell it in kit form for our finale product but we will have to work into this tho. Me and my father have done a number a products and we are all to familiar with the big process of building, boxing and shipping.

Hats off to your father for taking care of the wonderful heavy duty machines.

I think it's awesome that you and your father are working together on this. I am so glad to hear that you are looking seriously at the kit as an option, also. you guys are definitely on my list of things to follow.

:)

BareBonesExcavators
08-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Thank you for your support!!! We are happy to be accepted here on the forums and thank you everyone for all the support we have received threw email!!

Lil Giants
08-04-2014, 11:45 PM
I think there is getting to be an overabundance of back hoe excavator kits or RTR throughout the world already, but nobody is offering a front shovel like what I have I seen on your website. I'd go for one of those in a heartbeat! ...and help you however I could to piece it together to make a kit with high quality hydraulics & electrics.

Rvjimd
08-05-2014, 07:51 AM
I'll be following this thread for sure!

I want to second the suggestion for a crane! And while we are at it (are you guys keeping a wish list yet?) a dozer with an electric blade winch setup.

Jim

Lil Giants
08-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Izzy has already made a dozer with an electric blade, looks very similar to D6.

BareBonesExcavators
09-02-2014, 11:21 PM
Thank you for all your comments! We are definitely making a wish list of things we want to build. In the depths of our mad scientist lab (DON'T ask about the Orange slime) where the beta BB390 is being hatched we have something new growing as well!!!!!

To address Lil Giants comment and numerous e-mails of there Being an "overabundance of back hoe excavator kits" Me and my father fully agree, except we have weak knees for Excavators.... Here at BareBones we love to build what "we" love. The LAST thing we would want to happen to BareBones is we create a product line based off of "We think people will like this, but we don't like it, but I'm pretty sure everyone else will like it". We build what we love and create things we think are cool:) We also love pushing boundaries of what can be done. In the end if we fall flat on our face at least we stayed true to our selves.

Rimrock
09-04-2014, 05:55 AM
Among all the new asian strange looking machines, it's great to see new back hoes, with a fine and realistic design:) I don't agree that there are a overaboundance of USEABLE back hoes kits/RTR on the marked. 1 Swiss, 3-4 German fabricators do make equipment that works. Keep on the good work

BareBonesExcavators
09-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Thanks we cant wait to get our next model out but we have to make sure its right.. Which is taking a ton of work. But we are "Digging threw it"

bigford
09-05-2014, 05:23 AM
just wondering how many hoes have you
guys made to date? i might be down for one around tax time

cosworth34677
10-22-2014, 04:53 PM
just wondering how many hoes have you
guys made to date? i might be down for one around tax time

same here.

Rimrock
01-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Is there any news on the BB390 ? Haven't seen any building threads yet, so there are maybe not so many produced so far?
What pressure are the cylinders rated at?
Is it possible to see pictures of the undercarriage/superstructure 'slewing ring' arrangement?

bigford
01-17-2015, 10:00 AM
ive emailed facebooked and phoned them witno responce at all.
kinda puts me off a bit. i got a better responce from china

Rimrock
01-17-2015, 10:35 AM
ive emailed facebooked and phoned them witno responce at all.
kinda puts me off a bit. i got a better responce from china

Oh, okay. That's strange with no response at all. It seemed positive what they wrote here on the thread last summer, and their website is still there.

j_hammer
01-17-2015, 12:05 PM
I emailed back in September and got a response saying it would be a couple months before they had the new version ready, i emailed them last month and didn't get a reply. im also drifting away from getting one.

mcraig79
01-19-2015, 09:11 PM
I emailed them bout 2 months ago and had to email them several times to get a response. once i had there phone number it also took a long time to get a call back. they are a very nice group of guys to talk to for sure. but im along same lines of everyone else when it comes to taking the jump.

weemanch
01-21-2015, 11:42 AM
mcraig keep in mind it is only a father and son doing this business endeavor. also any news on the excavator?

Rimrock
01-21-2015, 03:05 PM
The marked for such a DIY excavator as shown on the webpage is quite limited one would guess, so it strange they don't give response when some of the few potential customers care to take contact. Developing a new machine most always will take much more time than first imagined, especially when it's a part time business...but anyway, it would be easy to write a general message on the website, if one are too busy answering phones or emails ;)

doodlebug
01-22-2015, 12:27 AM
I live near by, haven't heard a word from them either.
Cheers, Neil.

speedy8305
01-22-2015, 09:36 AM
I guess they cant live up to their product or?????????

bigford
01-22-2015, 10:39 AM
im ok with the small run and dad/son thing but
nostright answer to the drive question ring gear set up bugs me

Exclusive RC
01-24-2015, 09:07 PM
Its kind of pointless at this point to even entertain the thought of buying one at their asking price because you have ppl like china making them or magom who will soon be releasing a full metal 14 scale excavator without any electronics or hydros for ALOT less.... and yes from a business stand point if your not going to give your customers the courtesy or responding to emails and calls you should at least have a note on the website or some sort of informative bulletin so you dont lose potential customers.... just my .02 cents

Crash
03-01-2015, 01:41 PM
the 14th scale of the bare bones is a Caterpillar 390D LME
the 14th scale from china is a smaller machine so 14th scales are not all the same size.
the Caterpillar 390D LME is a huge machine in real life.
So I don't think 1500 is to much to ask considering it is heavier construction and hand made.
china stuff is cheap, you get what you pay for.

bigford
03-02-2015, 06:59 AM
email I just received
Hi Mark

Sorry for the long delay in answering.

We sold out of the first run handful of Alpha version Cat inspired 390D
models. While working on an improved version of the 390 excavator we saw
that Caterpillar has now moved to the "F" model. Trying to stay current, we
decided to revamp the 390D model into a 390F and offer that.

In the meantime we are releasing our Cat D11 inspired bulldozer. Please
check out our website on Monday March 2 to see it.

Thanks for being patient as we experience some growing pains!

Randy Killen

Crit Killen

850 north 890 west

Orem, Utah 84057

Exclusive RC
03-02-2015, 01:32 PM
the 14th scale of the bare bones is a Caterpillar 390D LME
the 14th scale from china is a smaller machine so 14th scales are not all the same size.
the Caterpillar 390D LME is a huge machine in real life.
So I don't think 1500 is to much to ask considering it is heavier construction and hand made.
china stuff is cheap, you get what you pay for.

thats funny, because the problem there is... you cant get anything that isnt sold and you didnt pay for..... they still are not available.... so how can you get what you pay for??? :confused:

email I just received
Hi Mark

Randy Killen

Crit Killen

850 north 890 west

Orem, Utah 84057

lmao.... wow.... really????? so did they have a limited run of 1 excavator? Cuz ive never heard of anyone buying one... so who bought them....? and when was it announced?????

doodlebug
03-02-2015, 02:32 PM
http://www.barebonesexcavators.com/

This page show's a concept shovel, and has a link to our forum, http://www.barebonesexcavators.com/workshop.html

bigford
03-02-2015, 02:38 PM
i got tired of waiting for a responce and bought the china kat
hopefully ill have it at cabin fever.

Brian in PA
03-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Ease up on the bashing here guys. Unless someone paid for a product that wasn't delivered, I suggest let it be. I realize that the communication isn't the best but all of the negitiveness isn't doing any good.

Exclusive RC
03-02-2015, 07:12 PM
i got tired of waiting for a responce and bought the china kat
hopefully ill have it at cabin fever.

yea, waiting 3 months for an email response, especially a response that avoided all your direct questions def explains why you would go a diff route... its unfortunate...

Cooper
03-02-2015, 07:54 PM
I commend these guys for the effort of producing something like this but I agree with above, I know from a business perspective even if you can't deliver just a simple response is very reassuring to a future purchase. Can't be upset with someone simply stating we are having growing pains :). So what do you guys think of the d11? I would like to see some inside pics to have an idea of what arrangement could be possible. Get these guys a welder and rid of the rivet gun, but would add time and $ ,, I guess. :)

cosworth34677
03-02-2015, 07:56 PM
yep i'm kind of fed up with all these company that, make a excavtor but then never
follow through. i guess they don't understand how much it takes to put something like that in production. and at a fair price

Azonic
03-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Did anyone else read this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford View Post
email I just received
Hi Mark

Randy Killen

Crit Killen

850 north 890 west

Orem, Utah 84057

Common, give these guys a break, they just started this, probably got other things to do beside this as well, did anyone see the dozer they got ready? Probably that's what they been working on as well.

Be glad that they try to get a kit out that hopefully will be on the cheaper side compared to German kits, but some people just don't ever get satisfied.

Rimrock
03-04-2015, 03:12 AM
It's great new people come up with new products. I hope to see some building threads about the 390 or D11 in the future sometime.
It's said that a handful of 390 is sold out. One seemingly can't find any links to the machine on a Google search, except to the fabricator and this forum (which I guess is one of the main forums when it comes to scale construction machinery, in the US/Canada at least) But maybe this handful of machines has been purchased by someone, who all, have chosen to not present their new machines to anyone online or at any show. That being said, there can be building threads out there, if one just search enough.
Well, the guys are new to the hobby, and obvious want to work in peace, and don't want to discuss technical solutions with possible customers and experienced people as found at this forum. Yeah, time will show what comes out of it.

mcraig79
04-04-2015, 06:05 PM
All the machine that were made have been given to family and friends as static display models as i have been told. no machines as of now have been considered into rc. thats what ive been told few months back

cdm
10-20-2015, 02:49 PM
They should have just made it a 1500$ conversion kit for the 4200XL digger.... then it would sell like hot pockets given how many 4200 are in the states.

The 4200 system is easily strong enough to run something 2x its size. Perhaps a regearing of the track motors but all else is pretty much capable. This would basically fix the main issues with the 4200 - hydros way too big for the model and model way too small/light for the hydros. 2600+1500 still puts you at a fraction of what a true 1/12 or 1/10 custom built rig would run you.

But instead they basically made a huge diecast model. ok... . good luck with that

Now they are trying to make new products with the hope of getting customers without finishing the old projects. reminds me of custom knive makers..

bigford
10-20-2015, 03:06 PM
digging up old dead threads,why??

Lil Giants
10-20-2015, 03:38 PM
The 4200 is absolutely the wrong choice as a donor kit to this model... the 4200 is a bunch of mismatched components that are a crapshoot whether or not they'll work or for how long. The machining tolerances are pathetic, obviously lacking in precision technological equipment &/or the education to operate them correctly.

Buy the BareBones model, Premacon offers a quality, powerful, proven reliable hydraulic systems kit & the rest of what's needed can be easily sourced from various robotics sites within this continent.

cdm
10-21-2015, 12:09 AM
The 4200 is absolutely the wrong choice as a donor kit to this model... the 4200 is a bunch of mismatched components that are a crapshoot whether or not they'll work or for how long. The machining tolerances are pathetic, obviously lacking in precision technological equipment &/or the education to operate them correctly.

Buy the BareBones model, Premacon offers a quality, powerful, proven reliable hydraulic systems kit & the rest of what's needed can be easily sourced from various robotics sites within this continent.

That's not the point though is it. 4200 is a massive seller in NA regardless what any of us german product spoiled kids think about it. As such, a steel upsized kit at that price will sell very well, especially if exposed and marked well. People are always more inclined to add on to something they have.

What for some is simply "finding, sourcing, matching and installing a complete system from Germany", for others it is mission impossible. My RC acquaintances think im a masochist cutting aluminum and playing with hoses. Their world ends with changing the wheels of an axial and going to some event to rock crawl.

bigford, this thread is literally 3 threads down from the sticky on the main page of this forum. how is that digging anything?

bigford
10-21-2015, 03:44 AM
they dont reply to emails. they dont have product. 60 to 90 day
build time and if they dont deliver paypal will not cover you due to time frame. i might as well say i build excavators!!
and one of them is a member on here and still nothing.....

Radar
10-21-2015, 09:34 AM
I got the bulldozer I like it a lot but it will take a lot of work to make it run good I will start a thread on it soon. It is built out of good heavy metal and weighs a ton

bigford
10-21-2015, 10:54 AM
pics or it did not happen!!!!

Radar
10-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Well played! I will get some up soon

Cooper
10-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Take some pics of the internals, drive motors and where battery hides, if possible dimensions of available room for battery. Thanks radar.

Jooga13
01-12-2016, 10:20 PM
Anyone know if barebones are still making excavators????

JAMMER
01-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Yes they are.

bigford
01-13-2016, 10:32 AM
after seeing radars e11 i would look at
other places for a hoe

Tk421reporting
05-15-2016, 02:58 AM
Well..anyone have any updates? I shot them an email a few days ago after I saw everything on here. I'd like to imagine they are still working on it and close to releasing something I can get my hands on.

doodlebug
05-15-2016, 06:28 AM
I live nearby, not a word!

Tk421reporting
09-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Update time!! I recently received an email from the barebones guys, try are ready for orders and I will be buying one once I get established at my new job.
Upon that time (I'm hoping within a month or 2) I'll upload a bunch of pics and maybe do an unboxing video or something, I'm not sure never done any vids before =/

Anyspy
04-01-2017, 12:42 PM
Any one got a barebones excavator

Cooper
05-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Are these guys still selling?