PDA

View Full Version : Rc4wd battery

orlo1785
05-12-2014, 03:02 AM
Hi guys, just ordered my first excavator yet.
Can't wait to get busy, but what battery to use so many makes I'm lost.
Rc4wd have a 3 cell 6500mah bat. So I want something similar but reliable

Any info would be geat thanks.

Also any does and donts for when I first get the excavator ? I've heard to use a 7.4v to start and then go to 11.1v. ?

Orlando

apfubar
05-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Orlando,

I don't have a rc4wd hoe, but the batteries sound like it runs a 3s 11.1v lipo - which come in many sizes, capacities and current ratings...
See http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html for more info around lipo batteries... They do need a little bit more talc than nicads(nimh)....

For initial setup you might run a 7.4v(2s) battery to slow the pump down whilst you get the bubbles out of the hydraulics...

They should have some initial start up guides with the hoe as well... I am sure someone here will help with any questions as well.

Cheers,
AP.
P.s. Congrats on the purchase

orlo1785
05-12-2014, 11:28 AM
I have basic understanding of lipos.
I'm looking for 11.1v in the 6000 to 7000mah range.
I'm in between the gens ace, voltz or overlander packs.
If any one has bad or good things to say please do so I can make a good choice,
Also rc4wd are a pain to deal with. I made wire trAnsfer 4 working days ago and they still haven't confirmed payment :-(

thebigo
05-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Be patient orlo, they are good people to work with and they will not screw you over. I have the excavator and it is awesome, very powerful, have had little problems with it.
So far I have put stainless steel pins and nut's in the tracks and got there upgraded bucket, the original bucket works but it's a little cheesy.

thebigo
05-12-2014, 10:55 PM
the 6500 from RC4WD is a very good battery, I have two of them. you will easily get a hour of work, hard work with your excavator with them. I have also found that most of there products for the excavator are priced competitively, including there batteries.

Backlash
05-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Orlando,

What are the dimensions of the RC4WD battery?

There is no point in buying a different brand LiPo battery if it wont fit in your model because its too long or wide etc...

thebigo
05-12-2014, 11:01 PM
As far as getting started, I just put hydraulic fluid half way up on the tank and batteries in the controller and the excavator and started her up. One thing I tried to do is add hydralic filters to the 1/4 inch polyurethane tubing, on the return lines, and found I could not get enough flow for the excavator to run.

Dieselchopper
05-12-2014, 11:02 PM
I will say the rc4wd batteries are good as well. Have had mine a year now and no issues. I got 2 with my excavator and am close to 200 hrs on it. Batteries are still going strong.

thebigo
05-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Just forgot to mention, I did have to remove both drive motors and pull them apart to add medium loctite to the (3) internal screws holding the transmisssion to the motor. they both got loose causing them to be inoperable.

Espeefan
05-13-2014, 02:11 AM
The only LiPo packs I have run so far are from MaxAmps. Some people don't like them because they are expensive, but I have been very pleased with the ones I have. 5 now, in total. I recently bought 2 of their 3S 8,000 mili-amp packs and they have performed awesome. I've been getting at least 50 mins of runtime on my brushless powered 4x4 short course truck, running in short grass. I am sure it pulls more current than an excavator could ever pull, so a battery pack with that capacity should last you easily an hour or more.

I have some friends who also race trucks and they swear by Gens Ace battery packs. They are pretty affordable too. I also hear good things about Flight Power. Just a few others you could consider.

orlo1785
05-13-2014, 03:29 AM
The size is S 6500mAh 11.1v 20c Lipo battery (Max size: 73mm X 80mm X 132mm
Finally got confirmation of payment :-)
Thank for everyone's help really good advice :-)