PDA

View Full Version : Sabertooth 2x5 help needed

dmess62
05-22-2014, 01:24 PM
I am doing a bruder delta loader conversion following along SmallHauls thread. I have a small pro boat 6cell 7.2v mini v battery. I am using a external bec to run the receiver for the servos. When I hook everything up to test motors they work. When I stuff everything in loader nothing. The light on the sabertooth shows no power. I took it out and if I move the drive and turn wires around by wher they are soldered to the board it cuts out. It almost looks like the touch each other when pushed down. Which is necessary to fit in the loader. Also when I have it out of loader and have power to sabertooth it starts getting real hot real fast. If anybody has any idea on what I may be doing wrong here any help is appreciated.

Dave

Espeefan
05-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Dave, any chance you could get a photo for us to look at? It might be easier to see if something isn't wired correctly, potential points of shorting, or if you could have a bad solder joint. How is your external BEC wired up? Did you remove the internal BEC wire from the lead coming off the Sabertooth? The heat issue - does it get hot even when you aren't running the motors, and the power is on? Or just after you've been running them a while?

dmess62
05-22-2014, 03:18 PM
I ll get a pic when I get home. I have the bec wired in on the sabertooth side of the battery connector. The positive from connector goes to an on/off switch comes out of it then I spliced in the positive from bec going into the positive terminal on the sabertooth. I have the neg. from battery connector and sabertooth soldered together then goin in to the negative terminal on sabertooth. The sabertooth gets hot when power is applied to it. Motors not running or anything. In like 1-2 minutes. I

SmallHaul
05-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Like Nathan suggested take good photos and post them up.

Make sure when you run a bec that you remove any other power going to the receiver..like the red wires on the servo leads coming form the sabertooth.

dmess62
05-22-2014, 04:29 PM
http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s519/dmess62/IMG_0647_zps16106b99.jpg (http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/dmess62/media/IMG_0647_zps16106b99.jpg.html)

Hopefully this is the right pic. lol

dmess62
05-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Like Nathan suggested take good photos and post them up.

Make sure when you run a bec that you remove any other power going to the receiver..like the red wires on the servo leads coming form the sabertooth.

Yea I removed the red wire from connectors going to receiver other than bec

SmallHaul
05-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Hmm..not sure why the sabertooth would get hot..?

I have used a lot of sabertooths for builds and what i have found is they are very good products but...every once in a while you get a bad one new out of the box (and the suppliers know this)...

So, i always test them before installing them into a machine (heck i have seen so many problems with new electronics and even simple items like Y harnesses that i test just about everything that is not easily replaced or removed from a machine before i install it.

dmess62
05-22-2014, 05:32 PM
I just tried calling dimension engineering . Of course they are shut down til after holday

dmess62
05-22-2014, 06:39 PM
The more I'm reading and trying to research. It looks like some wire where soldered to board are shorting each other. When I look real close where they go in the wires touch each other when moving them around. Both throttle and turn. This is when it shuts off. Could I get the strands seperate s then use some kind of glue to keep them apart

SmallHaul
05-22-2014, 07:50 PM
If you were sure you got the wires away from each other you can place a dab of clear silicone (like caulking silicone at lowes) on it and that will keep it from happening again.

dmess62
05-24-2014, 04:12 PM
If you were sure you got the wires away from each other you can place a dab of clear silicone (like caulking silicone at lowes) on it and that will keep it from happening again.

I plugged in the battery. And used a toothpick to get the wires set in the right location where the light was on and put some clear silicone on it. We ll see how it works