PDA

View Full Version : help with things to look for in a quality radio

Ekimjr
05-23-2014, 06:11 PM
So my old radio gave up the ghost last week that means i am shoppin for a good quality tx and rx but i knw nthing about gimbles or anything to,do with radios and stuff so any advice would be much aporiciated

Lmackattack
05-23-2014, 09:24 PM
I have simple rc4wd 4 channel radios that I like because it's a pistol grip with steering knob. I also have a spectrum dx6 that I have yet to use . Some people like stick radios and all the channels that can get. For me I like simplicity so I use my RC4wd 99% of the time. I see lots of people with spectrum radios so they must be pretty good

Ekimjr
05-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Yea i really like the look and feel of both radios but for me im not b sure what all. Features i really need or will use when my trucks done

Lmackattack
05-23-2014, 10:07 PM
It all depends on what you want channel wise. I only use 4 channels.

1 speed control
2 steering
3 transmission shifting ( 3 position switch )
4 dump bed ( 3 position switch )

Some radios have 3 position switches other just a toggle on / off.
Some can allow for servo end point set points.

What you need to tell us is what do you plan to do with your trucks regarding the servos that will be used and what they are used for. If you want to control a 5th wheel lock a simple on off channel will work. If you want to control a diff lock you need another channel.

The mfu systems can take care of all your light and sound functions. You just need to figure how many channels you plan to use and someone can suggest a radio.

Espeefan
05-24-2014, 01:58 AM
In my mind, a quality radio today should be 2.4 giga-hertz. It should also feature more than one toggle switch that can be assigned, or is assigned to a channel/function. Most importantly, at least one toggle switch should be a three position. Having more than one three position toggle is also really nice, if you want to run a dump box. For construction equipment, it's nice to have a radio that has unlimited channel mixing. That way you can mix valve control in with the hydraulic pump RPM. Of course the more channels you have the better. I would suggest at least 6. More gives you room to grow. Also, be sure the radio has multiple model memory.

My theory is buy one radio, and buy a good one. Radio equipment is an investment. Models may come and go, but you'll always keep your radio gear. It pays to buy something better in the beginning.

Ekimjr
05-24-2014, 03:16 AM
Thanks mac i plan on doing all those eventually and thank u espee i do feel that that is probably the route i will go. I just was conserned about getting in a bit of trouble by trying to go on the cheaper side