PDA

View Full Version : questions from a newb

Daveroo
07-13-2014, 02:52 PM
hello all,
im new to the semi rc hobby,even though i create a profile here some time ago,ive not built anything or boughten anything,that time has come,in august i will be making my first purchase,the Tamiya Globe liner,i know i want to upgrade the wheels and tires right off,but i want to know the following,

battery:Venom 6-Cell 7.2V 5000mAh NiMH Stick Universal System,because im assuming the higher number the mAh is,the better?longer driving time?
5th wheel,i had been thinking about tamiya's MFC,but i dont want to use a stick radio,i want to go with a pistol grip,4ch or 6ch if they make one,any help there?..advice?..

ive found a lighting kit on RC4WD that does most if not all and more for lihting than the MFC does,but back to the 5th wheel,will the tamiya trailer leg kit do the same job?..or any other system for auto-uncoupling?

and for the ESC..Outcry Crawler Single Motor Electronic Speed Controller (ESC),Outcry Crawler ESC is created from the ground up. New circuitry, new color case and a much more powerful BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit).
BEC eliminates the need for a receiver and servo battery pack, it draws higher voltage from the motor batteries and send the power to your receiver and servos.

will the above unit work for a truck?..

im also thinking about upgrading the axles to metal if they are made,any ideas there?..or are the stock tamiya units ok to get started?

i want a basic truck to start for this one,and a trailer,i want to learn the hobby with the basics,but useable systems,and then i plan on building a operating west coast style logging truck with a conventinal cab.

please comment on your thoughts to that mess above..thank you

Dave

Radio Control Trucker
07-13-2014, 06:41 PM
OK, Dave. Let me first say congratulations on getting your feet wet with a first build. The Globeliner is a great truck for a starting unit. Upgrading the tires and rims shouldn’t be a problem. There are a lot of resources available to us, so you’ll have a great many to choose from.

Now to answer some of your questions…

Battery: I’ve used several different types of batteries over the years, including the Venom. Recently had the opportunity to use the Onyx 6-Cell 7.2V, 5000mAh NiMH stick. They’re a great battery as far as I can tell. The ones I’ve used had over an hour’s run time each and plenty of pulling power in my King Hauler. I don't think there would be much difference in the batteries, but I'd suggest checking the price difference, and then check the on-line reviews and weigh the difference of cost vs. reliability.

5th Wheel: For the automatic 5th wheel you don’t need an MFU, you’ll want the 56505 Tamiya Motorized Support Legs. The kit includes the automatic 5th wheel plate and the electronic landing gear for the trailer (does not work with Pole-Trailer).

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-parts-70/r-c-tractor-truck-hop-up-parts-68000/rc-motorized-support-legs-56505

Pistol Grip Radio: I agree. I’d love to use a pistol grip radio, but I have yet to find one that works beyond 3-channels. There are a couple advertised as 4-channel, but they won’t work with our trucks. At this point we still have to use the stick transmitters. It’s up to your own preference of radio. I’ve always favored the old Futaba Skysport 6, 75mHz. Although I suggest asking around, there are probably better radios out there.

The light kits from RC4WD are supposed to be fantastic. If you’ve found one that you really like, I’d suggest posting info about it on the forum and asking the guys/gals what they suggest. As far as the 5th wheel goes, like I said, just go with the 56505 Tamiya Motorized Support Legs Kit. I think you need this kit in addition to the MFU anyway for the full effect on a truck build. I don’t think the automatic 5th wheel plate is included in the MFU kit.

Outcryer Crawler ESC: I don’t know enough about the unit to really have an opinion, but I’d think it should work for the truck. I’d suggest letting someone else field this question for you.

Upgrading the axles to metal: Yes!! You can definitely upgrade the axles to metal… It’ll cost though. The axles can be upgraded, the transmission housing can be upgraded, the transmission gears can be upgraded… Heck, the wonderful thing about our trucks is that most of it can be upgraded!

BUT, before you start spending a lot of money, the stock parts will be fine to get you started. I’ve used mine for over a decade and still have yet to upgrade. They still work fine to this day.

Starting with a basic truck is easy. Just follow the instructions and use common sense. The Globeliner is a great starter truck and then choose a nice Tamiya trailer for an easy build. Doing it your self will definitely teach you the basics of our hobby and your imagination will get you the rest of the way. The West-Coast logging truck is do-able. Others have built them and they look amazing.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck,

- RCT

cosworth34677
07-13-2014, 08:13 PM
OK, Dave. Let me first say congratulations on getting your feet wet with a first build. The Globeliner is a great truck for a starting unit. Upgrading the tires and rims shouldn’t be a problem. There are a lot of resources available to us, so you’ll have a great many to choose from.

Now to answer some of your questions…

Battery: I’ve used several different types of batteries over the years, including the Venom. Recently had the opportunity to use the Onyx 6-Cell 7.2V, 5000mAh NiMH stick. They’re a great battery as far as I can tell. The ones I’ve used had over an hour’s run time each and plenty of pulling power in my King Hauler. I don't think there would be much difference in the batteries, but I'd suggest checking the price difference, and then check the on-line reviews and weigh the difference of cost vs. reliability.

5th Wheel: For the automatic 5th wheel you don’t need an MFU, you’ll want the 56505 Tamiya Motorized Support Legs. The kit includes the automatic 5th wheel plate and the electronic landing gear for the trailer (does not work with Pole-Trailer).

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-parts-70/r-c-tractor-truck-hop-up-parts-68000/rc-motorized-support-legs-56505

Pistol Grip Radio: I agree. I’d love to use a pistol grip radio, but I have yet to find one that works beyond 3-channels. There are a couple advertised as 4-channel, but they won’t work with our trucks. At this point we still have to use the stick transmitters. It’s up to your own preference of radio. I’ve always favored the old Futaba Skysport 6, 75mHz. Although I suggest asking around, there are probably better radios out there.

The light kits from RC4WD are supposed to be fantastic. If you’ve found one that you really like, I’d suggest posting info about it on the forum and asking the guys/gals what they suggest. As far as the 5th wheel goes, like I said, just go with the 56505 Tamiya Motorized Support Legs Kit. I think you need this kit in addition to the MFU anyway for the full effect on a truck build. I don’t think the automatic 5th wheel plate is included in the MFU kit.

Outcryer Crawler ESC: I don’t know enough about the unit to really have an opinion, but I’d think it should work for the truck. I’d suggest letting someone else field this question for you.

Upgrading the axles to metal: Yes!! You can definitely upgrade the axles to metal… It’ll cost though. The axles can be upgraded, the transmission housing can be upgraded, the transmission gears can be upgraded… Heck, the wonderful thing about our trucks is that most of it can be upgraded!

BUT, before you start spending a lot of money, the stock parts will be fine to get you started. I’ve used mine for over a decade and still have yet to upgrade. They still work fine to this day.

Starting with a basic truck is easy. Just follow the instructions and use common sense. The Globeliner is a great starter truck and then choose a nice Tamiya trailer for an easy build. Doing it your self will definitely teach you the basics of our hobby and your imagination will get you the rest of the way. The West-Coast logging truck is do-able. Others have built them and they look amazing.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck,

- RCT

the esc's i've used and more then happy with are
best to worst
castle creations sidewinder v3 , i got two of these and they never even get warm even with a heavy load. and pulling 20 lbs of rocks! will run 11.1 lipo

dynamite fuse, they are great little esc's simple very strong again never gets hot but will get warm. and the lipo shut off is find of low for my liking. but they will run up to 11.1 volts easy!

tamiya TEU-105BK, i got two of these and run one in my old tao4 and the other in my scania 8x4 and not the strongest things but they are happy with a load of dirt but they will get hot and go into thermal shut off .

as for the axles up grades you really don't need them the gear ar all metal and the cases are stupid tuff! same with the gearbox, i tend to wear out the pinion gears and not the tranny or axle gears.

radios , like he said are up to you but get more channels then you need because trust me down the line you will want more. and they are always handy for stuff like turning on lights and dump beds and that kind of stuff.

i use futaba and spektrum, the futaba is a classic really good company never go wrong with them. and the spektrums are really nice to i run a spektrum dx6i and a futaba t6j and love them both. oh they are both 2.5ghz

Daveroo
07-13-2014, 11:23 PM
great feedback guys...i think ill not go hogwild and customize it,build it pretty much box stock for my first build.going to take the advice on the things you guys shared with me,i really appreciate your help.
Thanks Dave

August third cant get here fast enough...lol

tc1cat
07-14-2014, 08:21 AM
1 of the best upgrades you can do is put a gear reduction unit on the motor or tranny to slow these trucks down. For all practical purposes, a stock tractor will actually be to fast in 1st gear let alone in 3rd. 1 of the best GRU's is made by Integy that goes between the motor and tranny or you can see if Ric at PMD (he is listed in the Hobby shop section) has any that goes after the tranny. He used to handle 2 kinds. Not sure what he has in stock right now.

tamiya fan
10-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Hey Daveroo, I would recommend going with the MFU and support legs. The 2 work together so you can connect, disconnect the trailer, raise , lower the legs, all at the same time from the radio. The MFU allows you to turn on the lights via radio. It is also your esc for the truck. MFU comes with all you need to make your truck run. (Lights, sound of truck, Speed controller, All in one unit) Much easier for your first build. Actually very cool set up. Support legs won't be fully functional (remotely) on the Pole Trailer because it hooks up differently from other trailers. Hope I didn't wright this to late, hope it helps! Oh and for a radio I use Futaba 4yf, the MFU needs analog trims to fully work right. Very cool system when all is setup.

Cossett
10-07-2014, 12:50 AM
tamiya fan , the MFU will work with digital trim radios but need a little more setting up than analog radios and there are a lot of people using digital radios to control multiple models from the one radio

Cheers Tracy