PDA

View Full Version : lowering your stock tamiya suspension?

BRICKNICK
07-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Now I've dropped my king hauler in the front which looks great but it rides a little high in the back, how do you guys get a bit of drop out of the rear suspension? I've been looking for a thread because I know I'm not the first guy to ask this but I cannot find a previous thread.. A little help or input from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks......Nick

TRUCKMAKER
07-14-2014, 12:18 PM
You might try adding F350 spring leaves, TamiyaUSA has them in various lengths 4 to a package for about $6 pkg. depending on length ordered.

TRUCKMAKER
07-14-2014, 06:46 PM
You might try adding F350 spring leaves, TamiyaUSA has them in various lengths 4 to a package for about $6 pkg. depending on length ordered.

Sorry Nick I posted this in the wrong thread:o, but I was thinking about your issue. I guess I would mount the suspension higher on the frame which would actually lower the over all stance.

bigford
07-14-2014, 08:44 PM
you really cant with the stock set up
the center pivot plate is almost at the top of the rails.
I would try to remove a few springs or try to bend the leaf flatter

TRUCKMAKER
07-14-2014, 09:03 PM
you really cant with the stock set up
the center pivot plate is almost at the top of the rails.
I would try to remove a few springs or try to bend the leaf flatter

That is true bigford but the suspension plate is very easy to modify to lower it and if you remove spring leaves you won't be able to carry much of any weight at all.:D

Lmackattack
07-14-2014, 09:34 PM
It's hard to lower the rear of the truck as the axels are bulky and they will hit the bottom of the frame rails with any sort of adjustment.

The only way I could see to get the rear lower would be to flatten out the rear springs and let the axels bottom out on the frame. This should give you about a 5mm drop?

Both my dump trucks with a load on will bottom out completely. They get around just fine

Tamiya Cowboy
07-14-2014, 10:19 PM
you an flatten the springs or go to Russ's air ride make sure either way you cut off the little stopping tabs on the tops of the axles so you get more travel..

Lmackattack
07-15-2014, 06:39 PM
you an flatten the springs or go to Russ's air ride make sure either way you cut off the little stopping tabs on the tops of the axles so you get more travel..

Just a heads up

I cut those tabs off on my dump trucks axels and yes it allows the springs to flatten out and more travel is there but then I had to put the 4 shocks back on to limit its articulation. I found that when I cut those tabs off that the inter axel driveshaft would sometimes pop out of the drive cup when the truck was off roading. I tried a RC4WD scale truck driveshaft and it would slip out as well.

mavrick0
07-15-2014, 07:01 PM
Depending on the how much you dropped the front end how about just going with a shorter tire in the rear?

fhhhstix
07-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Just a heads up

I cut those tabs off on my dump trucks axels and yes it allows the springs to flatten out and more travel is there but then I had to put the 4 shocks back on to limit its articulation. I found that when I cut those tabs off that the inter axel driveshaft would sometimes pop out of the drive cup when the truck was off roading. I tried a RC4WD scale truck driveshaft and it would slip out as well.

You are correct and the same thing happens when you add more leafs to the rear spring pack as well. It raises the frame from the axles allowing more travel and the center shaft falls out.

BRICKNICK
07-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Well guys thank you for all the tips, I'm gonna try to shave the tabs off the diffs n flatten the leaf springs a bit.

Stuff
07-15-2014, 11:41 PM
lol my globe has flattened springs. but thats from hauling a few hundred lbs of steel on the back.