PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of milling marks

dmess62
07-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Like the title says I have a carson drop deck trailer and on the sides of the frame rails where the little pockets are milled out it has the tooling lines. With the outer lip how do I get rid of the marks. Is it just a matter of using some sandpaper and elbow grease to sand them out to be able to paint.

ihbuilder
07-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Like the title says I have a carson drop deck trailer and on the sides of the frame rails where the little pockets are milled out it has the tooling lines. With the outer lip how do I get rid of the marks. Is it just a matter of using some sandpaper and elbow grease to sand them out to be able to paint.

yes or bead blast

JAMMER
07-22-2014, 07:31 AM
Scotch Bright works good to remove the marks. Ed

TRUCKMAKER
07-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Im not sure what the injection mold industry uses today but 40 years ago they used polishing sticks to remove tooling marks from molds. I thought about it last weekend while I was in my shop but never googled it to see if they were still available. They came in different grits and could be ground to what ever shape you needed, flat, pointed, round etc.

TRUCKMAKER
07-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Here's what I was referring to:
http://www.gesswein.com/p-290-diemaker-polishing-stones.aspx?cpagenum=&sortfield=&sortdirection=&perpage=