PDA

View Full Version : painting question

Daveroo
08-07-2014, 08:04 PM
hey all,
im real close to starting my build,i get the radio and receiver tomorrow,and will get my FMC Tuesday or Wednesday .that said,i want to try the new (to me) testors lacquer.
and theres the rub (gawd i crack myself up),can you do a paint job like Joe Bailon's candy apple red with the testors lacquers?

from what i understand you need to use their primer,paint coats and topcoat glosses ,but unless i do the base paint coats with normal out of the can lacquer (testors) and then mix my own tinted clear ( which is what joe basically did),then i suppose i could shot the tinted clear,or thinned paint.on to my metalic base coats and then clear on top?..any one done this?..i really dont want to use my airbrush as i have to buy parts to repair it and my compressor.

heres a website for joe if you dont know who he is.he lived next door to my neighbor across the street when they were kids,and as i grew up..the womans son was one of my best friends,so i was able to not only meet joe but became real friends..i know he didnt build it..but the Hirohito merc is a pretty famous car in car circles..and ive riden in it several times when the owner brought it to visit joe,there was a story not to long ago that that car was "found again"..it had been missing for many many years...i call BS because it was right here in Auburn cal in Joes shop..lol.the barris brothers are from this area as well,and i was on a first name with them as well..cool huh?

one more thing..Joe used to do a car show here at our fairgrounds,free to the public and cheap for the car owners,yet we saw cars like the merc,and cadzilla,seversl of boyd coddingtons cars,theres this really ugly truck..has slanted headlights,,like those on a 62 Chrysler 300,and this wild bed with fins like a late 50s desoto firelite..ugly uly ugly...but it wins at car shows and autoramas all over the US and in asia and even won in Dubai.its pink and white..with red trim...ugly ugly uly.