PDA

View Full Version : I think I finally found the rig I wanna build.

dman10
08-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Notice: I do NOT have much experience with the RC semi world, BUT, I do have experience in the RC world.

Anyways, I found this cool looking little truck: http://www.commercialmotor.com/big-lorry-blog/stunning-kenworth-c500-truck-m
What I'd use it for. I have no clue.:D But I really wanna build it.
I'm not rolling in the dough right now to buy a base rig, as my Dad passed away recently so I haven't been working. Trying to take care of other stuff. Ya' know?
I figured, since I have a brain in my head and the ability to build, I can scratch the chassis, suspension, headache rack, etc. And hopefully Just need electronics, cab, and drive line.

So, Can anybody point in the right direction? Such as diagrams for a rig like this? Or... some base measurements?
Thanks,
"D"

Daveroo
08-10-2014, 11:30 AM
im new to the RC way of life myself...so im no help on the build...but i want to say that im sorry you recently lost your father.i hope you and your family can be at piece knowing he is now at piece himself.

tc1cat
08-12-2014, 02:19 PM
I would start with a King Hauler cab and go from there. With a goal in mind, you could buy one or two items a month an slowly acquire the necessary parts for your build.

Trucker_Jo
08-23-2014, 08:26 PM
That would be a very cool build! Welcome to the Hobby. I am sorry for your loss as well. I think building a 1/14 scale cab that looks as close to the kenworth as you can get and then build the rest of the parts with styrene (cheap :cool:). Eventully get a king hauler kit and some long blank frame rails and go to town with it! We are on this forum to help! :D

Izzy
09-07-2014, 05:42 PM
A base kit gets you a long way towards your goal - but scrounge the ole web and you will find other parts your needing. Also check out the Aussie section on this forum - looks like it has some of the same styling

Sorry bout you dad. I joined soon after loosing mine too ....

Dieselchopper
09-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your dad. When you get to the trailer I might be talked into parting with some extra parts I have left from a trailer I made that is similar to the one in your pictures.

Jakyat
11-23-2014, 06:44 PM
I know the fellow that builds these static models. As a matter of fact, I currently have him employed building a tri-drive winch tractor with a tri axle 24 wheel scissorneck loboy for the company that I work at. His work is amazing! I too am in the process of building a winch truck in 1/14 scale. Mine is a tandem tandem bed truck. I am at a stand still on mine, trying to figure out how to build a winch that is capable of pulling 50 lbs. Good luck with your build. Looking forward to watching. :-)

Izzy
02-22-2015, 08:12 AM
Any update? Did you take the plunge? Maybe a different thread and I am missing it?

50 # pull - scew drive. Check out
www.sdp-si.com