PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya Stock Motor

flamefighter47
08-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Hi all, I see some posts that the Tamiya stock motor is to fast and unrealistic. Can you advise on what is a good motor to switch out. Thanks

Lmackattack
08-23-2014, 11:21 AM
you can try a Trintigy Lathe motor in the 55,65 or 85 turn that should slow you down a bit. the higher the turn the slower the RPM of the motor.

Or install a reduction unit.

mavrick0
08-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Right out of the box with my Cascadia build I went with the Tamiya 33t motor. Found it was still to fast so just went to the RC4WD 65t and love it. So anything in that range will be good in my opinion.

Lmackattack
08-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Just my .02 here on the RC4wd motors..... They are not really up to the task of hauling a heavy trailer. I found they are gutless when trying to pull up a hill and put to much of a draw on the speed controller causing it to overload them and it will shut down.

I tried a 55,65 and 85 turn and now all 3 are in my junk. Box of parts.

Just my opinion!

Dieselchopper
08-23-2014, 02:40 PM
I find the stock motors almost bullet proof. I have had great luck with 4:1 & 3:1 reductions.

Lmackattack
08-23-2014, 03:06 PM
I agree the stock motors are good. Just the gearing makes them fast. I had a stock tamiya motor in my 6 wheel dump truck and it will spin all wheels fully loaded with clay when the axel is locked and the truck gets stuck....they sure have good power for a stock out of the box motor

mavrick0
08-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Lmackattack one question I have for you is did you break the motor in?

egronvold
08-23-2014, 04:09 PM
LRP Truckpuller are good motors for use with the stock gearbox. Or my favourite; drop the lagre gearbox and get a Servonautmotor with gear reduction ;)

Lmackattack
08-23-2014, 04:18 PM
Lmackattack one question I have for you is did you break the motor in?

the more I used it the weaker the motor became. It was gutless on anything but flat surface. I do tend to be a little harsh on my Trucks and push them to the limit.

For example the stock Tamiya motor in my 6 wheel dump could pull my fairly steep driveway. loaded with dirt, in 3rd gear. yes it would slow a little but it could maintain the gear.

The RC4WD 65T had to pull the same hill in 1st gear maybe 2nd. Any other gear it would over load the Speed controller and time out.

Stuff
08-23-2014, 06:04 PM
If you can find one of these they were good speed and power. long discontinued. Integy lathe motor would be next best bet

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachments/r-c-items-sale-trade/533775d1261681160-novak-fifty-five-crawler-motor-55t-nip-novak-55.jpg

mavrick0
08-23-2014, 09:14 PM
the more I used it the weaker the motor became. It was gutless on anything but flat surface. I do tend to be a little harsh on my Trucks and push them to the limit.

For example the stock Tamiya motor in my 6 wheel dump could pull my fairly steep driveway. loaded with dirt, in 3rd gear. yes it would slow a little but it could maintain the gear.

The RC4WD 65T had to pull the same hill in 1st gear maybe 2nd. Any other gear it would over load the Speed controller and time out.

With these style of motors the brushes are a very hard compound for what they hope is long life. If they aren't broken in they tend to glaze the brushes as well as the commutator which then causes excessive arching and heat which can shorten the life and efficiency of the motor. And depending on the heat and quality of the magnets it can demagnetize them as well.

flamefighter47
08-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Thanks so much guys. I appreciate the info, I have not heard about a reduction unit. Are most people using these.