PDA

View Full Version : Extend Reception Range?

Rick.K
09-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Just completed my first build, the Knight Hauler. I bought the Tamiya Attack 2.4 ghz T/R and it works well.

The receivers antenna is internal. Can an external antenna be added, and would there be any benefit in doing so?

In the brief time I've had to run the truck I've noticed one time where the truck shut down on its own. After it did it cycled through start-up and shut down until I shut the truck off and turned it back on. It then ran normally. I thought this might have meant the receiver wasn't detecting the transmitter.

ricm
09-06-2014, 07:08 AM
not sure you can do anything to the Rx to extend the range.....but....a feature of the MFU is that it goes through a power-down/ restart cycle when the battery starts to run low, just as you described. It's like a warning that you're almost out of power, although the truck will still drive for a short while if you switch to 'non-MFU' mode with the 3-way mode switch next to the on/ off button.

Rick.K
09-06-2014, 10:28 AM
The truck was on a fresh 2000 mah battery when the cycling on/off occurred. i thought it might be a disconnect between transmitter and receiver because Saw the truck do something similar one time when I turned the truck on but had forgotten to turn the transmitter on first.

Just had the truck outside for the first time. 15 minutes, ranges out to 75' from me, all 3 gears, no problems. i'm surprised that the truck goes up hill in 2nd or 3rd gear better than in 1st.

Except the one of the stock shocks unscrewed its cap fom the shock body. Just got done replacing one lost shock spring and putting loctite on the threads for all 4 shock caps.

fhhhstix
09-06-2014, 11:00 AM
The truck was on a fresh 2000 mah battery when the cycling on/off occurred. i thought it might be a disconnect between transmitter and receiver because Saw the truck do something similar one time when I turned the truck on but had forgotten to turn the transmitter on first.

Just had the truck outside for the first time. 15 minutes, ranges out to 75' from me, all 3 gears, no problems. i'm surprised that the truck goes up hill in 2nd or 3rd gear better than in 1st.

Except the one of the stock shocks unscrewed its cap fom the shock body. Just got done replacing one lost shock spring and putting loctite on the threads for all 4 shock caps.

How old is the battery and what is the actual voltage of the battery (read it with a voltmeter) an hour or so after you charge the battery? A fresh charged battery does not mean a good battery.

As for the range you are stuck with the preset range in the surface radio which is about 75ft.

As for being more powerful in 2nd and 3rd, the MFU has three different power levels for full throttle depending on the gear you're in and 3rd has the highest level. You can get around this like 90% of MFU owners do and cut off the coupler switch and solder the two wires together that went to the switch. You will lose the coupler sound when hooking up to a trailer but you will get full power to the motor regardless of gear selection or having or not having a trailer attached.

Travis