PDA

View Full Version : Who owns the road?

Cooper
10-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Ok I'm a very easy going guy but this just bothers the crap out of me!! I use to run, bike around the local roads (back in the competition days) now going for the Harley instead of practice on the motocross bikes. When ever I was on the road I would just assume I was in the way and always was conscious of keeping out of traffic. When jogging I would always move off the road when opposing cars coming towards me. Ya know give em room, not disrupting traffic. I always figured its gonna hurt me a lot more than the five tone auto smashing into me.

The other day I was bringing a case backhoe back to our shop. Had to drive through this little town, turned the corner onto a road and had a vehicle behind me. The car was clearly about to pass me on the left, going around as I was slow. No problem there. Problem was that a jogger was running down the road facing me on the side of road in my lane. I was not able to cross yellow line as a car was passing me on left. Now my speed was about five mph. Just came around a corner and traveling pretty slow. I had to almost stop as this guy who clearly saw the machine. From about 100yards away. Side of road was nice grassy yards with very even ground transitioning from pavement to stone shoulder to grassy yard. No trees no fences, no barking dogs or land mines. . I basically came to a stop. Now I did not steer away as I did not want to turn into the car passing me so that's why I slowed way down. Again I was not going fast nor was the car overtaking me. Hopefully that has a clear image for you to understand. Now the guy jogging, not blind, not wearing headphones or a blindfold proceeded to yell and scream and cuss at me , what are you going to run me over?? I had the cab windows open and could hear everything clearly. Again at this point I'm almost stoped and he is still running (at this time he did move out of the way) by me. This guy was screaming a yelling just going nuts!! And then as he went by, running backwards yelling , cussing, giving the finger going nuts!!

Now my question is , is it just me or would all of you be more willing to give room to the vehicles on the road or consider it your private jogging path?? Now I'm about 6'4" 220# and I do believe in violence when it is due. I would have really loved to stop and kindly explain to this idiot that I was not trying to run him over but prevent an accident with the kind persuasion of my knuckles to the closest area of his thought processor.

It happens a lot, do people just not care about getting hit? Do they not know it's going to hurt them? A lot more than the car? Wtf??? Or is it just me?

Supermario
10-09-2014, 04:29 PM
when people get upset without knowing the whole story, I don't waste my time or energy trying to explain anymore. I Just walk away.
I blame my nagging , crazy ex wife for my attitude btw. :lol:

ihbuilder
10-09-2014, 04:33 PM
gee I thought it was me too :confused: some of those joggers are so full of themselves it isn't funny . I woulda told em "heck yea I run you over if ya don't get your azz outa my way" . They do not own the road which is used by motor vehicles . It's dangerous, especially on a lot of the winding switchbacks we have down here . you don't dare jog on 895 from Auburn to Summit Station :eek: . I bet he had no safety colors on either :rolleyes:

I have no sympathy for the clueless

Supermario
10-09-2014, 04:41 PM
The key words in Ralphs story are.... " driving through a small town " those people really DO think they own the road! :)

spudd
10-09-2014, 05:21 PM
i just run them over and move on...

fhhhstix
10-09-2014, 05:45 PM
i just run them over and move on...

Ya but it is esier for you to hide the damage.:D

Mikem
10-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Today I watched a person (think was a women with head scarf ) go from right lane to 4 lanes over to the left no signal just go . She did one ,two , third was a strike out SUV cleaned her clock and shoved her back to lane three into another car . It did make the road report 10 minutes later . Ahh rush hour in Canada's capital . I'm not a big rig driver I only drive my Silverado and do carpentry but I wish sometimes I had a dash cam like the Russians have because these drivers in this town could match those you tube videos . I've had others but this was two hours ago almost like a small town . Mike

BRICKNICK
10-09-2014, 08:00 PM
I can't stand this mentality that they don't have to move for, look out for or be conscious of vehicles in the area. I think it all stems from the statement "pedestrians have the right of way" I blame that for this false sense of entitlement and sense of security for there saftey. Happens to me all the time running around my town with the lowboy pulling a dozed or loader. They think I can just stop on a dime or move this 70k ton piece of equipment out of "there way". To me it's Darwins law of natural selection just proving itself. If your not intelligent enough to remove yourself from a potentially harmful situation for yourself, then you don't deserve to be here or have anyone else look out for your safety. Just my 2ยข.....

Cooper
10-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Yea, I thought I was similar in my beliefs. Good point bricknick, I too often believe in the Darwinian thought of the gene pool. But for most and today's way of everyone else is to blame they always have the lawyers statement of "it's not my fault, the lifeguard wasn't paying attention at my gene pool". Excuse :)!!!!

arf1201
10-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Im a farmer in one of the richest counties in the US, all day long they wont move ore think that my semi will stop as fast as their caddy. My small tractor(6320 with loader) is on the load at least 4 days week, feeding cows. Most of the spring and fall I live in a 9630T with either a chisel(25 ft wide) or a 45 ft landsman, both of which are about 15 ft wide folded. Joggers, bicycles, and cars wont move and don't get that the tractor rips through pretty muck anything.

doodlebug
10-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Joggers need to pay highway use tax and get a "plate", same with the road racing cyclists!
Cheers, Neil.

SuperDutyScaler
10-09-2014, 10:15 PM
BRICKNICK is right especially here in NJ, just because a law says joggers, bikers, walkers etc have the right of way is no reason for you to be in the middle of a lane with your bike or jogging with headphones and you expect people to swerve into oncoming traffic because you wont walk or jog on the sidewalk that two feet away. Just this week a group of cyclist were together on one got clipped by a mirror from a Ford Super Duty (tow mirrors) vehicle driver stated he rounded a blind curve (road is 50mph) and there are five guys on bikes right in the middle of HIS lane and he hit his brakes tried to move over but other vehicles were coming at him so he hit one guy in the back with his passenger mirror. Now I have a F350 with tow mirrors and the fold back very easily so hitting this guy (which didnt make him fall off his bike) should just be a big mistake. But after hearing what the cyclist guy was saying about his back blah blah im sure he will have a lawyer try and sue the guy driving the truck

Cooper
10-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Oh don't even get me started on law suits!!! I'm at the point now that some judges should be disbarred for allowing the government resources ($$$) to be used by some of these people that want to sue a company (yea the company cuz they have deeper pockets) for really stupid things!! And then the plaintiff to be liable for all costs and earnings lost by company too!!! Can't blame the lawyers as they are just doing their job (good or bad, it's still their job) now gross negligence is one thing like a doctor cutting off a heart attack patients head, but don't sue him because he did his best and patient still died. Or like that one guy that sued another over who was in line first when the other guy bought a winning lottery ticket. Or that idiot that spilled hot coffee on her lap while operating a motor vehicle and then sued mcdonalds because she burned her crotch from there hot coffee!! I bet that same lady bitched about her coffee being too cold also!!! Ohh lalal!!!! Ya know my dad use to say about how things are falling apart,,, well I guess I'm on that same path. I just can't wait till I hear a law suit involving a young boy in law suit with a young girl that turned him down. And the justice system gets involved forcing the girl to go out with boy because he feels he deserves her. Ya know it's not his fault he isn't born with the looks she likes so he should be awarded his share of a date. And the state will force it!!! Don't laugh,,,, we might see that someday!!! Lol!!!!!