PDA

View Full Version : On off switch question

Cooper
10-29-2014, 08:55 PM
I have the dozer torn apart and have been wanting to install an on/off switch. Is it better to have a switch on the battery positive feed wire or to have a switch on rx positive side? Simple switch if on the receiver but if on battery power I would think amperage would need to be considered. Correct? I would have to look what amps I'm using, what the sabertooth is rated, if I remember 2x25? I think that's what I m using. All I'm interested in is switching models. With the sabertooth I have to have middle throttle stick before model on or it will adjust for wherever stick is. But I don't know if it feeds from rx or battery. Just wanted some input on what others have done?

ricm
10-30-2014, 12:17 AM
standard practice with radio gear is to have the switch on the Rx side. I don't know anybody who has mounted a switch in the battery +ve side.

Lil Giants
10-30-2014, 02:26 AM
I do mine battery side with Neg going through switch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/protrker/Jan%201%202012/019-2.jpg

Cooper
10-30-2014, 01:53 PM
I have a 20 amp switch rated @ 120 volts that is pretty small that I'm going to use. I always thought + side would be better for a termination switch.

Ricm, reason why I'm wanting to do is these aren't regular models that you hook up battery turn on and use right away. I'm more wanting to have model sit ready to go, use another, back to model by simply hitting switch. Instead of unplugging / plugging battery in every time. Easier and quicker with switch. I just don't like leaving lipos pluged in for any length of time while my attention is elsewhere.

Cooper
10-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Hey joe, your model match function, is it that you can have multiple models on but simply switching model in radio to use one? And do you set up fail safes for signal loss?

ihbuilder
10-30-2014, 04:03 PM
+ or - doesn't matter as long as your braking 1 or the other . I like to use the + side .

Lil Giants
10-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Yes. Currently I have the 850 & the two Tamiya trk/pups on the DX18, all three models switched on simultaneously. No fail safes, never had issue with signal loss on a Spektrum.

I do Neg through switch b/c with constant wire movement of connecting batts, the wire in screw terminal could come loose or break there won't be any sparks and/or fires. ;)

ricm
10-31-2014, 12:58 AM
Ricm, reason why I'm wanting to do is these aren't regular models that you hook up battery turn on and use right away. I'm more wanting to have model sit ready to go, use another, back to model by simply hitting switch. Instead of unplugging / plugging battery in every time. Easier and quicker with switch. I just don't like leaving lipos pluged in for any length of time while my attention is elsewhere.

OK - makes sense. I haven't got any lipos...only NiMH...if I want to switch between models I leave the battery plugged in and use the Rx switch. But I understand lipos need different treatment!