PDA

View Full Version : Non Lipo friendly products?

Supermario
12-22-2014, 08:25 PM
I was searching through small gear motors a few months ago and came across a few that specifically stated not to use with lipo batteries. I didn't really worry about it as they were not what I wanted.
Today I'm looking at a Chinese knock off for the servonaut SMT and again I see this warning not to use with lipo?

Why is that when the stated working voltage range is 6-12V ?

Cooper
12-22-2014, 10:03 PM
Humm, I don't understand that either. In terms of motors using electrons it absolutely doesn't matter if they are coming from a lipo, nicad, nimhd, lead, or a lemon. The only thing that matters with lipos is the cut off voltage. And if you don't mind destroying the lipo battery you can use them completely to zero voltage too. And the motor doesn't have anything to do with a controller. You don't even need a esc, as all the esc is doing is giving the ability for the motor to change rotation speed by adjusting voltage input. So the only thing I can think of is they aren't talking about the correct situation or generic wording. ?? Throw me a link to where you see it. I'm just curious now. Oh and got some conveyor supplies!!

mavrick0
12-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Usually when it states not to use lipos is because it doesn't have a cutoff built into it to avoid the battery from over discharging. The Tamiya MFC's say the same thing but I still run a lipo on them just with a lipo alarm installed on the balance plug to let me know when it gets to cut off.

Supermario
12-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks Peter, I see what your saying about electronic products like the sound module. That makes sense but the motor issue is strange. here is the link, they specifically say " 7.4V decreases motor life " ....?????.

http://www.robotshop.com/media/files/pdf/datasheet-ft-spark16-360.pdf

pretty sure I ran into a few motors saying the same thing.

Supermario
12-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Oh and got some conveyor supplies!!

:bounce: Cant wait to see what you have planned RW. :bounce:

mavrick0
12-23-2014, 06:18 PM
What it is saying is voltages greater then 7.4v reduces motor life by burning out the brushes quicker. Higher voltage will create more rpm, which will create more heat from friction which of course will kill brushes quicker. Not necessarily saying that lipos will kill the motor that was just the voltage that starts the decrease in life so just kind of a coincidence.

Supermario
12-23-2014, 07:44 PM
True enough. Funny how the mind works. I saw 7.4 and thought it was a reference to a lipo. Thanks for the info Peter.:cool:

Mario