RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Construction Equipment (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   140H Grader (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=567)

rc_farmer 07-06-2011 12:31 AM

Re: 140H Grader

Thanks EVERYONE for the kind words! There are 6 things I want to change on it........the WHEELS, these are bad for traction and steering, overall, I am satisified.

Here is a size comparison:

Build material: Wood
Build time: Approximately 1 year
Length: 43"
Width: (outside of tire-to-tire) 13"
Height (ground to top of Cab) 15"

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1/602bpilot/2769.jpg

ddc333 07-06-2011 01:33 AM

The final result is outstanding that first photo looks so real I had to check it was a model

I had a quick look back but couldn't see any reference what was the final scale ??

steamer 07-06-2011 10:57 AM

Rob. Thanks for the great photo. My complements again for such a great build. Anything on the burner yet for your next build.
Rob

Brian in PA 07-06-2011 11:33 AM

Rob, that is phenomenal!! I haven't viewed the thread for a while and I am astounded!! This is a great piece of work.

Brian

Snochaser 07-06-2011 12:27 PM

Absolutely awsome!!! Great job, Rob.

Pippoe 07-06-2011 12:36 PM

GREAT JOB!

The grader looks fantastic and runs just as great.

..and a great presentation too. It can easily be mistaken for a real one!

WELL DONE!!

Cheers

Pip

..and I admire your perseverance.. I started my truck years ago and it still isnt' done.. and it's an easy project compared to yours.

JensR 07-06-2011 05:17 PM

Great to see you, Rob :)

As you mentioned the tires, maybe going a bit smaller with these?
http://store.rc4wd.com/Rock-Crusher-...res_p_730.html
Those are the popular 2.2" wheel size.

Next size up is Series 40 - with tire diameters of 200mm or more - so these would be too large.

Apart from that, maybe the traction could be improved a bit with more weight? I guess your wood construction is fairly lightweight?
If so, some people put lead or steel into the tires. I am a bit scared of lead's toxicity, so would look at different solutions first

Cheers
Jens

Espeefan 07-07-2011 01:25 AM

Incredible work, Rob. I hadn't checked this thread for a while, and all of the sudden, when I do, the grader is done! Imagine that! It's a great looking machine. Like the others said, almost impossible to judge the difference in the photos, if it is a model or the real 1:1 machine. There is only one thing I could possibly suggest. It needs a full set of working lights and maybe a couple other little finishing detail touches. Grab handles, windshield wipers, ect. I'll bet you have that in the works already, knowing your attention to detail. It'd be really neat if you decided to go all out and turn it into a snow fighting machine too. V-plow and all.

rc_farmer 07-07-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espeefan (Post 31165)
Incredible work, Rob. I hadn't checked this thread for a while, and all of the sudden, when I do, the grader is done! Imagine that! It's a great looking machine. Like the others said, almost impossible to judge the difference in the photos, if it is a model or the real 1:1 machine. There is only one thing I could possibly suggest. It needs a full set of working lights and maybe a couple other little finishing detail touches. Grab handles, windshield wipers, ect. I'll bet you have that in the works already, knowing your attention to detail. It'd be really neat if you decided to go all out and turn it into a snow fighting machine too. V-plow and all.

Hey Nat, I do plan to put some lights on it and I do have an idea for GPS gear on it too. I am having some rippers being made now for it. All of these items were planned as accessories. The windshiled wipers and grab handles are already attached in the major places. The doors have handles also and all the hydraulic levers move as well as the column is adjustable. The seat swivals for ease of exit....:D

rc_farmer 07-07-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JensR (Post 31140)
Great to see you, Rob :)

As you mentioned the tires, maybe going a bit smaller with these?
http://store.rc4wd.com/Rock-Crusher-...res_p_730.html
Those are the popular 2.2" wheel size.

Next size up is Series 40 - with tire diameters of 200mm or more - so these would be too large.

Apart from that, maybe the traction could be improved a bit with more weight? I guess your wood construction is fairly lightweight?
If so, some people put lead or steel into the tires. I am a bit scared of lead's toxicity, so would look at different solutions first

Cheers
Jens

Contrare to belief about the weight, it is quite heavy, I estimate about 30 lbs at least. I have plastic BB's in the rear tires. I had them in the front, but turning was harder.....it just pushed the frontend. The other issue is the surface area of the tires. They are very flat and covers the entire foot print on the ground. There needs to be some hump in the tire. I will experiment with additional weight attached to the front.

rc_farmer 07-07-2011 09:08 AM

Guys and Gals, I can't say thank you enough for the kind words. I don't know what my next major endeavour may be as of yet.

Again thanks everyone.

JensR 07-07-2011 04:50 PM

Ah, good with the extra weight!

Yes, the tires are not known to be great performers...

I couldn't resist a bit of numbercrunching.

From

http://www.ritchiespecs.com/specific...&modelid=91709

I get the scale as:
width 2464/(13*25.4)=7.5
length 8713/(43*25.4)=8
height 3131/(15*25.4)=8.2

So, let's go with 1:8.

Then the rule of thumb for the weight would mean we should be looking at a weight of very roughly (models tend to be lighter almost always) 14677kg/8^3=29kg :eek: which would be about 65lbs!

Cheers
Jens

sparkycuda 07-08-2011 03:47 PM

:):):) Really a great model. Details and finish are awesome and it functions extremely well. I like the cab interior detailing the best because it is something that does not always get finished and you really hit it - including the color. Closeup pictures match the sales brochures!

Congratulations on a fine build!

Ken

Izzy 07-10-2011 11:13 PM

Great job Robert- your attention to detail inspires me.

Chris

BOBCAT 07-11-2011 05:43 AM

Im lost for words.this is an awesome build and you are a true master craftsman.

pigeonfarmboy 07-17-2011 12:06 AM

Got to put my grubby mitts on the controls of this puppy today!! What an awesome huge custom build! Thanks for letting me attempt to operate the beast Robert.

Straywolf 07-17-2011 02:23 AM

Man i was just blown away with this. Great work!!!!!

mazdaparts 07-17-2011 10:14 PM

I got to see the grader in action on saturday and the pics and video do not do this justice. It is HUGE and very realistic. It performed very well. Great to finally meet you and a little birdy told me today is you birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROB!!!!!

rc_farmer 07-17-2011 11:15 PM

Thank you for the Happy BD wish Madza

We had a great time and it was a pleasure to meet each of you and put a face to a name.

calm n sedated 07-18-2011 05:49 PM

Rob, I've been gone wayyyyyy! too long!!! you never stop amazing me:eek: Great job again.