RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Highway Trucks and Trailers (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   CrackerBox Test Chassis (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=11904)

TRUCKMAKER 01-02-2017 02:41 PM

Re: CrackerBox Test Chassis

Short update, got a little more done on the Cracker Box and got the dump body mounted on the trailer frame with the lift motor and mechanism working. Need parts to finish it up. Got to pick up some suspension parts and tires. Here's a shot of where the cabs at.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...ps84reqges.jpg

pontiacmann 01-02-2017 03:27 PM

:jaw::jaw: Looks Great, very nice Work.

Mikem 01-02-2017 05:12 PM

Looks good can't wait til it's done !

TRUCKMAKER 01-03-2017 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pontiacmann (Post 151634)
:jaw::jaw: Looks Great, very nice Work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikem (Post 151640)
Looks good can't wait til it's done !

Thanks guys, I cant wait till its done either, to many projects I want to work on!:D

FabOne 01-03-2017 06:44 PM

LOOK'IN GOOD Kent!

-Terry

Mustang46555 01-03-2017 07:28 PM

Looks great Kent! Fantastic job on the cab. You working from scale drawings or photo's?

TRUCKMAKER 01-04-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FabOne (Post 151682)
LOOK'IN GOOD Kent!

-Terry

Thanks Terry!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang46555 (Post 151684)
Looks great Kent! Fantastic job on the cab. You working from scale drawings or photo's?

Thanks Dennis,
Besides all of the photos on the internet I found a spec brochure that has profile drawings with the over all dimensions and expanded the drawings in my copier until I got the dimensions according to scale and went from there, you have to start with good drawings because they become very pixelated as you expand them. if I'm happy with it when I'm done I'll build a dedicated chassis to the proper wheel base and see if I can find nice spoke wheels and other period correct details for it.

TRUCKMAKER 01-07-2017 01:25 PM

Here's a reason why I built a dedicated test chassis. I bought one of these motor/planetary drives, 437RPM @ 12v. The volt range on the motor is 6-12v so I ran it off my 7.2V battery realizing it would be a little slower. It was actually to slow however smooth and controllable. So while taking a break from other projects on the bench I started playing with some stock cans I had laying around and found that bolting this Axial 27 turn up to the planetary gives me a good top speed and plenty of power. The true test will be going to a meet and load some construction equipment on it. Surprisingly I haven't found a less expensive alternatetive to replace the 3spd with. Buying new, the 12v planetary combo is $40 & the 27t Axial is $14, just need to figure out what to do with with the extra 12v motors down the road. :D:rolleyes:

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...pspysa0nqk.jpg

Mustang46555 03-29-2017 08:06 PM

Kent,
I just picked up one of the servo city gear motors to try in the wrecker to save space over the 3 speed. Very nice looking unit, but I have 1 question. Did you pull the stock pinion off the 12v motor and reuse it as the picture appears or go to a different style pinion?
Thanks

Izzy 03-29-2017 09:39 PM

Kent lookin great. Nice details - headlight buckets and the relief cut top center look good.

Mikem 03-30-2017 06:52 AM

I have 3 trucks with the 437 rpm planet motors I like them a lot . I like the speed and they still have enough power to pull my grandkids on my Flatdeck . What to with the trannys now

TRUCKMAKER 03-30-2017 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang46555 (Post 154270)
Kent,
I just picked up one of the servo city gear motors to try in the wrecker to save space over the 3 speed. Very nice looking unit, but I have 1 question. Did you pull the stock pinion off the 12v motor and reuse it as the picture appears or go to a different style pinion?
Thanks

Hi Dennis,

Yes I just slid the pinion off the servo city motor and pressed it on the 550 I used, don't care for that type of pinion but its worked running around in the house so I'll run it until it fails.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 154276)
Kent lookin great. Nice details - headlight buckets and the relief cut top center look good.

Hi Izzy, good to hear from you, thanks for the comment, just remember when you see it in person stand on the other side of the room LOL, its all hand cut and the hand isn't as steady as it used to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikem (Post 154291)
I have 3 trucks with the 437 rpm planet motors I like them a lot . I like the speed and they still have enough power to pull my grandkids on my Flatdeck . What to with the trannys now

Mike, I'm in the same boat but i'll figure something to do with them. What battery are you running with your motors? I just run 7.2 nimh and they seemed a little slow since those are 12v motors, that's why I swapped the motors, made a big difference.

Mikem 03-30-2017 03:26 PM

I'm running 7.2 batteries just like you haven't tried motor swap yet. But I can't play outside yet too much snow still .

TRUCKMAKER 03-30-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikem (Post 154312)
I'm running 7.2 batteries just like you haven't tried motor swap yet. But I can't play outside yet too much snow still .

We haven't had any snow to speek of just a lot of rain, been doing all my test runs in the basement. Let me know what you think when you get a chance to run.

Mustang46555 03-30-2017 06:56 PM

Thanks for the information Kent.
I'm planning to swap out the 12v motor for a nice 27 turn 7.2 motor I have on hand. I tried 12v motors in a tank on 7.2 volts down at Danville back in the day. No power and way too slow.

Mikem 03-30-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRUCKMAKER (Post 154315)
We haven't had any snow to speek of just a lot of rain, been doing all my test runs in the basement. Let me know what you think when you get a chance to run.

I can't test in the basement too many trains in the way ! And this weekend we are getting 3 inches more snow !

Izzy 04-07-2017 05:55 PM

Kent - busy, my free hand is for turds as well. Grab a straight edge or I like to pre score using my calipers. Kind of hard on the tool but they've held up.

TRUCKMAKER 04-16-2017 08:07 PM

Got some color on it, but the paints not done, going to bring it along later this week as a roller. Guess it's time to start planning a chassis.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...pseqkrwika.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...psleaclq87.jpg

Mikem 04-16-2017 09:35 PM

Now I know where I saw this ! I've been watching it all along !

TRUCKMAKER 04-17-2017 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikem (Post 154743)
Now I know where I saw this ! I've been watching it all along !

Ok now I get it, I couldn't figure out why you made that comment :lol::lol::lol: