RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Highway Trucks and Trailers (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Johnny's Grand Hauler (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=10699)

tamiya fan 10-19-2015 11:19 PM

Re: Johnny's Grand Hauler

Just my 2 cents. I would recommend the Tamiya MFC-01 over the $80 one. More pricey but I think you'll find it easier to program and operate. I'm not knocking the other product but went that way once and in my opinion it was a pain in the _ _ _ . Just my recommendation.

Prodrvr2006 10-20-2015 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamiya fan (Post 133252)
Just my 2 cents. I would recommend the Tamiya MFC-01 over the $80 one. More pricey but I think you'll find it easier to program and operate. I'm not knocking the other product but went that way once and in my opinion it was a pain in the _ _ _ . Just my recommendation.

Well, I bought it already...still waiting for it to show up. If it's that bad, I'll just use it as a light controller and get a better sound system. Maybe that ESS-ONE will come out with a better diesel sound. The one they have now is good for like a pickup truck.

Izzy 10-22-2015 12:04 AM

Found ya. Post a pick.

BTW I started a grand hauler and have same sound system coming as well. Have not heard much positive.
But trailers. I like trailers.

Prodrvr2006 10-22-2015 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 133412)
Found ya. Post a pick.

BTW I started a grand hauler and have same sound system coming as well. Have not heard much positive.
But trailers. I like trailers.

I know, but for $80 I had to try it.

Izzy 10-23-2015 06:16 AM

Same here.

tamiyajoe 10-23-2015 09:19 AM

I have one but the vib. Shacks my truck way to hard that's the only thing I can say bad about that system .

Prodrvr2006 10-23-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamiyajoe (Post 133478)
I have one but the vib. Shacks my truck way to hard that's the only thing I can say bad about that system .

I'm not installing that vibration unit. I'll tell you all one thing, I have the chassis, diffs, tranny, and steering done today...I will never, never, ever buy another one of these trucks again. This has got to be the biggest pain in the a s s kit I've ever assembled...and I've put together a lot of kits and custom boat installations. This is a one and done for me. I still have ALL the electrics, lights and radio programming to do on top of painting and detailing left to do...ugh!

speedy8305 10-23-2015 05:18 PM

It's not as bad as you make it seem (at least it wasn't for me) and its the same kit as the king hauler except longer and if most of the guys have these trucks on here it cant be all that difficult but that is just my opinion.

Prodrvr2006 10-23-2015 05:21 PM

Really the thing that got me so pissed was building the transmission. That completely sucked!

speedy8305 10-23-2015 05:40 PM

yea it was a lil tuff but we managed to get through so its not all that bad just a learning experience

bigford 10-23-2015 05:50 PM

from box to roller in a weekend and that was with going to bed at
10 pm and up at 2:30 am like a week day. hardest part
for me is always the tranny!!

Prodrvr2006 10-23-2015 06:24 PM

That stuff is all behind me now. Don't want to build another tranny lol

tamiya fan 10-23-2015 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodrvr2006 (Post 133494)
I'm not installing that vibration unit. I'll tell you all one thing, I have the chassis, diffs, tranny, and steering done today...I will never, never, ever buy another one of these trucks again. This has got to be the biggest pain in the a s s kit I've ever assembled...and I've put together a lot of kits and custom boat installations. This is a one and done for me. I still have ALL the electrics, lights and radio programming to do on top of painting and detailing left to do...ugh!

If it gets frustrating you should walk away for a while. It's supposed to be fun. These (Tamiya) are really pretty well designed. They are all pretty much the same in their workings underneath the body. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, I can understand it some times. You'll like it when it runs.

bigford 10-23-2015 06:53 PM

was messing around with my dash cam from my full size KW
it just mounted to the roof and i forgot to turn on the i/r leds
this is the rcbmin sound unit
https://youtu.be/zQwuCIlgyPk

Prodrvr2006 10-23-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigford (Post 133512)
was messing around with my dash cam from my full size KW
it just mounted to the roof and i forgot to turn on the i/r leds
this is the rcbmin sound unit
https://youtu.be/zQwuCIlgyPk

That's cool man!

Prodrvr2006 10-23-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamiya fan (Post 133510)
If it gets frustrating you should walk away for a while. It's supposed to be fun. These (Tamiya) are really pretty well designed. They are all pretty much the same in their workings underneath the body. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, I can understand it some times. You'll like it when it runs.

Yeah that's what I did. I was on it from 9 to almost 5 today. Now I'm messing with the sound unit I got and can't understand how to hook it up.

NickelPlate 10-24-2015 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodrvr2006 (Post 133501)
Really the thing that got me so pissed was building the transmission. That completely sucked!

It's a weird little thing. I still don't completely understand how it works but it does. But it was one of the more difficult sub assemblies. Usually when I start getting frustrated with the build it usually means I'm getting in a hurry so I just get up and walk away and come back later.

Prodrvr2006 10-25-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickelPlate (Post 133542)
It's a weird little thing. I still don't completely understand how it works but it does. But it was one of the more difficult sub assemblies. Usually when I start getting frustrated with the build it usually means I'm getting in a hurry so I just get up and walk away and come back later.

True

Izzy 10-31-2015 05:42 PM

My sound unit arrived but have not had a chance all week to work on my rc. Maybe tomorrow? But wife has plans .....

Prodrvr2006 10-31-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 133947)
My sound unit arrived but have not had a chance all week to work on my rc. Maybe tomorrow? But wife has plans .....

I was trying it out today. I can get the start-up, running engine, turn signals, horn, reverse lights and brake sounds. However, I can't seem to get the hazard lights and headlights to work. I'm gonna try moving the plugs around and hope for the best.