RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Get it out of your system! HERE! (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   No Stock R/C Kenworths (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=11211)

schmoking 02-12-2016 02:55 AM

Re: No Stock R/C Kenworths

my advice would be to forget about project management and bottom line cost.. its going to be expensive!!!
start out with the w900 parts from truescale and a king/grand hauler and go from there. the way u want to do things may change along the way.
there are other soundunits than the mfu.. many people (in europe anyways) will swap this out for better alternatives like beier or servonaut.

bigford 02-12-2016 05:11 AM

a bunch of guys do day cabs with mfu and full interiors
i think you should build a king and play with it stock for
a while then try to modify it

up9018 02-12-2016 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigford (Post 139228)
i think you should build a king and play with it stock for a while then try to modify it

I would highly agree with this statement. I'm fairly new and did just that, and you will learn quite a lot before diving into the deep end.

mcl fabrication 02-12-2016 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by up9018 (Post 139230)
I would highly agree with this statement. I'm fairly new and did just that, and you will learn quite a lot before diving into the deep end.

yes this is true that is how I started from the first semi truck, now all doors are open and anything that comes to mind can be manufactured by my own hands.

janderson 02-12-2016 10:25 AM

Since I work for Tamiya I have some background on some of your posts. As far as why we or any manufacturer does not make every make and model of truck, there are many reasons.
Licensing
Design Cost
Tooling cost
Molding costs
(Just to name a few)

On top of that the number of pieces sold as not everyone would be interested in every model type.

And at the very top is the USA market in R/C is Ready-To-Run. The USA market would rather buy and drive than build.

These rigs are expensive enough to have RTR versions would be through the roof. Not to mention once built they are more fragile so the do not ship well and land in one piece.

Hope that helps. I do agree as a builder and such, in stead of diving in the deep end you must learn how to swim first. Build a truck and start modding it. You will learn alot from the build that will give you more insight on the hobby.

bigford 02-12-2016 10:52 AM

out of the mouth of tamiya america....

janderson 02-12-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigford (Post 139238)
out of the mouth of tamiya america....

:lol: :jaw::lol:

Pippoe 02-12-2016 05:22 PM

Hmm.. I don't see the problem. Ten years ago everything was do-it-yourself.. But today.. the possibilities these days are almost endless..

3D-printed cabs, resine-cast or metal cabs.. even toys from Bruder or Ertl have such a great level of detail that they can serve as a basis for a build.

..and then there is everything else..

You get all kinds of mechanical components: gearboxes, axles, tires, wheels and electronics, plastic, metal, 3d-printed, laser-cut or photoetched..

Sorry, but putting together the model truck of your dreams has never been as easy as these days. Of course you can't expect it to fall in your lap..

Good luck!

Pip

Roundabout 02-13-2016 02:29 AM

get the servonaut sound/light system, only takes up a fraction of the space the mfu does, and you get more an better options with servonaut, also use the servonaut motor/gearbox, then you will be able to have interior in a daycab with driver and every thing ;)

1985 kenworth 02-15-2016 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigford (Post 139151)
if you have a hundred thousand dollars or more to pay to paccar for the rights
to use kenworth,peterbilt or any other paccar product.
i will get you tamiya world office address then you can give
them the money to pay for the rights and tamiya will make accurate
peterbilts and kenworths... Or you could buy a shapeways W900 kit
and turn a king hauler into a kenworth i think the second idea
will be cheaper way to go

i agree with you on that bigford:D

1985 kenworth 02-15-2016 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janderson (Post 139236)
Since I work for Tamiya I have some background on some of your posts. As far as why we or any manufacturer does not make every make and model of truck, there are many reasons.
Licensing
Design Cost
Tooling cost
Molding costs
(Just to name a few)

On top of that the number of pieces sold as not everyone would be interested in every model type.

And at the very top is the USA market in R/C is Ready-To-Run. The USA market would rather buy and drive than build.

These rigs are expensive enough to have RTR versions would be through the roof. Not to mention once built they are more fragile so the do not ship well and land in one piece.

Hope that helps. I do agree as a builder and such, in stead of diving in the deep end you must learn how to swim first. Build a truck and start modding it. You will learn alot from the build that will give you more insight on the hobby.

so true ..build a truck first ..its not as hard as you think

1985 kenworth 02-15-2016 12:47 AM

i have been in the r/c hobby for about 32yrs now and have been in the r/c trucks for awhile now and its true ..the companies cannot build every truck out there because as mentioned before ..who will buy it and the cost of the rights to put there name on it would make these kits unreachable to lots of people..i can give you a perfect example of stupid money..i have a real 1985 Kenworth W900B and for a plain set of mudflaps for the front fenders behind the front wheels are about $50pr ..to get the same style set with the name Kenworth on it around $180pr ..just because the name is on it ..you cannot even build something that you are selling and call it a registered trademark name without paying some sort of royalties to the owner of that registered name .look around this site here ..you will see tons of builds that would and could qualify to fullfill your need for a W900 and all built by scratchbuilt and machine made parts :D and not to mention the process of 3d parts makes it easier to have what you want in record time without the hassle of scratchbuilding

ittigger 03-08-2018 01:36 PM

I know - old thread.

I agree with the previous posters - half the fun is building it.