RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Construction Equipment (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   LR634 is HERE!!!!! Tracked loader (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=8671)

avel 03-31-2014 04:56 PM

LR634 is HERE!!!!! Tracked loader

Just received it!! I wasn't expecting anything as the status online hadn't changed, so BIG surprise, yahoo!!!!!!:bounce:

thercfreak2012 03-31-2014 08:34 PM

Re: LR634 is HERE!!!!! Tracked loader

Where's the pictures

liftmys10 03-31-2014 11:11 PM

comeee on!! picss??? I understand :)

jack van 03-31-2014 11:26 PM

i think it was a dream rofl

avel 04-01-2014 12:49 AM

https://plus.google.com/photos/10820...LCs-auWn8PlhQE

There you go.

I need to set up a photobucket account, this new google+ is confusing.

avel 04-01-2014 01:11 AM

ok here is the box

its a big box

I ordered two of these 28mm dia aluminum heatsinks from hobbyking, if I need to I can squeeze it down and use it on the oil pump.

The fan fits! Well if I cut down the stock weight. I have plenty of lead to make up for the weight loss. It's an idea if I decide to put together a brass grill thingy to replace the plastic one.

Another picture of the heatsink. I've made them myself before by clamping the heatsink around wooden dowels in a vise and/or using a big hammer.

Nice big ol' battery! And it fits!!! I was worried it wouldn't. It's a little long but I can cut the weight down or cut a slot at the opposite end so that the battery can slide in that last part. It's a two cell 8 amp battery, should give me plenty of run time.

Here is the battery being charged/tested with a cheapo Turnigy charger. The charger charges via the balance leads, so its very sloooooowww. The grey brick is an Xbox 360 power adapter. It puts out 12 volts, up to 16.5 amps. The Turnigy charger maxes out at 800mAh charging, so the big 8000 battery will take quite a while to charge. I also bought a 3S battery for the Turnigy 9x transmitter. Now I need to clean the place up so that I can start working on the LR634.

avel 04-01-2014 01:36 AM

Any suggestions on posting? Text and then pictures? Or an explanation first then the corresponding picture? Or maybe pictures first and then an explanation at the end? Also if the posted pictures are too big, sorry. I tried to set photobucket up to post 800x600 pictures, but I am still posting 1024x768 pictures.

Also need any measurements, just ask. Goodnight, I'm going to bed.

avel 04-01-2014 08:29 PM

Any opinions on this following idea? I am really leaning towards using some JB Weld and filling in where the tabs fit into the slots on the metal chassis/shovel. Then sanding everything so the tab and slot construction isn't visible on the outside. Also on the shovel there are gaps and hollow places that will fill up with debris and I am thinking of using JB Weld to "weld" those gaps closed. Easier to clean, and I think will look better. Now first I am going to do some research to make sure I don't go overboard, but the way it is assembled they only welded certain spots at the factory. Also I think I have some slag in a hollow on the shovel, I can hear it bouncing around in there. I am going to try to squirt some glue in there to catch it.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

avel 04-01-2014 09:09 PM

The noise in the shovel wasn't slag like I said.
I was just taking pictures of the tabs and noticed that two angled pieces on the shovel are just floating within their slots. They were making the noise.

I will post some pictures to better describe my idea to JB weld and sand some of the tabs/seams.

JAKEBRAKE 04-01-2014 09:56 PM

If I'm understanding your idea for the JB Weld, I would prep the area first with sandpaper or a grinding tip on a dremmel. Then tape your outside edges, apply your JB Weld with a toothpick or something with a small tip, and pull off your tape before it dries. This will give you nice seems and scuffing the metal will help the JB Weld to stick.

avel 04-01-2014 10:49 PM

I will definitely be cleaning the surface first, it has some kind of oil on it. I have mineral spirits/rubbing alcohol etc. Good idea with the tape, I wouldn't of thought of that. Less sanding and finishing work for me.

Ok, following will be pictures of areas that I really want to hit with JB Weld for appearance and strength purposes, oh and to make clean up easier. First will be a zoomed out picture than a zoomed in picture of the particular area.

On an area like the below picture, if I wasn't sure I could keep the edge sharp I was thinking of applying the JBWeld to the inside.

Both of these cylinder attachment points need cleaning up and I want to JBWeld the little gaps for strength. I'm sure thick enough paint could make it disappear, but the JBWeld would strengthen the area. Pictures below.

Another area I want to hit.

Gaps here.

In the picture below I would like to close off the gap, except where you can see the other side. Dirt would get stuck in there.

avel 04-01-2014 10:56 PM

Now this area since it has a screw, I could use a weaker filler material in case I need to access the screw sometime in the future.

The two triangular pieces are loose and were making the noise.

This one and the one to the left under my thumb.

Yeah nothing exciting. Hopefully this weekend I start assembling and/or JBWelding and sanding the seams.

avel 04-01-2014 11:03 PM

Almost forgot. Those Turnigy chargers only charge each lipo cell to around 4.15v, not the full 4.20v. Now this will increase the useful life of the cell, the con is less run time. Just wanted to put that information out there if anyone was thinking of purchasing a couple.

I bought some silicone lubricant spray. I want to use it on the tracks to make it easier to get the mud off. We used to use it at Esco before painting in the spray booths. Worked great.

topher1266 04-01-2014 11:09 PM

Too bad your not close to me I would tig weld most of that and mig what I could. Would be a whole lot less sanding.

Claus 04-01-2014 11:32 PM

As nice of a model, and very well built as it is, it's a real shame it takes so much work to clean it up.

Can't wait to see it finished.

avel 04-01-2014 11:51 PM

Yes, yes, I need to learn how to weld. I might take a welding class, maybe find someone experienced to do it for me if I get tired of sanding.

Yes it is a nice model, I keep holding parts of it in my hands just examining everything. I just don't want to rush this model. I still haven't prepared my "workspace". Hopefully this weekend I get some parts assembled.

headers 04-02-2014 12:49 AM

Nice machine avel your gonna have a good time moving dirt and stuff around.

P.s. hydraulics is not to difficult once you understand them and if you have any questions juat ask and myself or someone on the forum will help you out

MoRockN 04-02-2014 02:16 PM

Congrats on the new machine!! You're gonna love it! Ask if you have any questions, I've built one and have had zero problems with the welds. Space however is very limited so plan ahead for that.

avel 04-02-2014 07:23 PM

Oh I know, I have read your build thread over and over trying to glean as much information as I could before buying the model and while waiting for the model to arrive.

I'm going to go spray the tracks with the silicone lubricant, hopefully there isn't any bad reaction with the nylon used for the tracks. I wish Carson would go into more detail on what type of nylon they used. Oh well, worst that could happen is I ruin them and have to then purchase some metal tracks. Oh no ;)

titandigs 04-02-2014 08:41 PM

If I was you I would not spray the tracks with any lubricant . With my 634 there is enough dirt that sticks to tracks and they are dry.
Great model to use , you will enjoy it when you have it running.
Good luck with your build.

JAKEBRAKE 04-02-2014 09:05 PM

Wow!!! I see what you mean about being tired of sanding after seeing how many areas you want to dress up. Well that's part of the fun with building, you are never done... You will have a lot of fun with this build. It looks like a very nice model!

avel 04-02-2014 11:41 PM

Well I did it. I sprayed the silicone lubricant on the tracks and am waiting for it to dry completely. Earlier this morning I was modifying my transmitter.

First I tucked the antenna inside.

Then I replaced the annoying speaker with a red LED. Just soldered it in, nothing fancy.

Ok the tracks. I washed and dried them and then placed them on some tape with the sticky side up.

Here is the silicone lubricant I used, picked it up at Home Depot.

Here are the tracks after being sprayed and drying for about 2 hours. Also I held the board upside down for awhile and tilted it in different directions. I put on too many coats at once.

About the sanding, I kind of enjoy that kind of "work". Anyway I am tiiiired, hopefully more updates tomorrow.

avel 04-03-2014 07:30 AM

Just woke up about 30 minutes ago and still slightly wet. I wish I had gone with thinner coats. Then again it hasn't even been 24 hours.

avel 04-04-2014 09:10 PM

Putting the tracks together, just finished one side. Taking a break. Also covered some areas in JB Weld on the main chassis, areas where if I screw up it won't be seen, not that it can't really be fixed. Also glad I read up on how to properly use it, found out that rubbing alcohol is to be avoided for cleaning, also anything with petroleum distillates in it. Acetone, lacquer thinner and soap and water are recommended. I bought some acetone. Also last night I installed ER9X on the transmitter. Has a lot more options and capabilities.

avel 04-09-2014 09:20 PM

I dropped the "bell crank" replacement from Leimbach onto the floor and bent it, yay me.

avel 04-09-2014 11:11 PM

Bent the crank back into shape as best as I could.

I replaced the grease in the drive motors, filed and sanded down the valve servos to fit. Finally figured out how to use ER9X on the transmitter. JB welded the bucket and some of the body. Lots of sanding. Painted the bucket and some of the body. Got frustrated with painting. Sanded, painted some more. Oh and finally broke my SD card for the camera, more tape and glue than plastic.

Here I mixed too much JBWeld so I thinned it with acetone, pressed a track pad into some regular clay and poured it in. Just for fun.

Phone picture

Claus 04-10-2014 06:10 AM

You probably already know this but get some cheap fingernail files like you wife uses to do her nails. You can bend them in tight places or break them off, they work pretty well on sanding down the cold weld.

Good luck, you have some tight places to work in there.

avel 04-10-2014 09:30 AM

The sanding is done. I totally forgot about fingernail files, I have a whole pack of them. I bought them for my other hobby, model railroading.
I used a Dremel and sandpaper to smooth everything out.

Claus 04-18-2014 07:08 PM

Any progress?

avel 04-19-2014 10:02 AM

No not much. I tacked the plastic cab/body shell together with low temp hot glue, and found out that I don't have to cut anything to get the battery in if it sits at an angle. Also soldered some wires to the drive motors.

avel 04-23-2014 10:51 PM

Screw painting, I want to play! Well I spent the last 6 hours assembling, everything except the hydraulics and details like the railing and other plastic parts. I must of spent an hour trying to get the spring clip onto the center pin for the front suspension piece. Basically supports the tracks near the front of the body, anyway yeah, took a loooong time. I finally ground off a tiny bit of metal so that the pin stuck through enough to where I could squeeze the spring clip on. I even turned the pin around so that the spring clip was on the outside of the chassis, its hidden from view anyway. This also gave me more room to push it into the slot around the pin.

Also for anyone who has built the LR634, has anyone used the extra track pads to put 38 instead of 37 track pads on each side? Quite a struggle to walk the tracks on.

Glad I took the advice on here to assemble before painting.

Kingcam2 04-24-2014 02:31 AM

Looking good so far Avel.

Keep up the good,

I know how bad you feel, you just want to finish so you can play with it.

Regards Cameron.

avel 04-25-2014 12:43 AM

OK, anyone NOT use pliers to slide the locking sleeve over the hydraulic hose?

I used some made for putting loops in wire, sold in the jewelry/bead aisle. I tried with my fingers, and some cloth but all that happened is I pulled the skin back under my thumb and started bleeding. I even had boiling hot water to help soften the hose enough to slide over the nipple.

todays update

Installed the thicker hoses between the pump, filter, and control valves. Centered the servos and installed them too. I want to finish this tomorrow so I can play!

Any tips for cleaning up hydraulic fluid?

Lil Giants 04-25-2014 01:29 AM

Indeed, those compression collars are hard on the fingers to get on... I try to use these small needle pliers where I can. The trick to do it the easiest way possible, start the hose over the 1st barb, then slide the collar on, it will push the hose completely onto the barb & the collar all the way to the fitting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psafcdfa30.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...psa5f3b6e0.jpg

Doing it this way, you gotta be careful not to squeeze the pliers too hard while pushing so not to distort the circumference of the collar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...pse4bc68f4.jpg

avel 04-25-2014 02:27 AM

Also the first two fittings I completed, I pushed the hose completely on then had to trim some off so that the collar could slide on. The others I did it properly. I was also afraid of distorting the collar doing it my way.

I will try your way tomorrow. There is plenty of the smaller hose in case I slip up.
Also tomorrow, pictures.

avel 04-25-2014 06:01 PM

Ok, this is the E-Clip/pin that was causing me issues. It still isn't fully seated in the slit that is around the pin.

Looks ugly, but the low temp hot glue is mainly to protect against abrasion.

Here you can kinda see the Garage Sale sign plastic I used to hold the servos. Like a spacer, kinda.

The return tubing kinked because of the hot glue, so far it hasn't caused any issues while testing. The number "3" is to help me remember that channel 3 is that servo/function.

The pliers I used covered with hot glue to lessen the damage to the collars, it helped.

This collar I slightly damaged. It was really hard for me to get the tubing on too because the metal elbow would swivel away. Finally I used an allen key between the two metal elbows to stop it moving. Also helped alleviate my fear of the elbow snapping off from the pressure required to apply the collar.

footprint 04-25-2014 09:05 PM

G'day mate,
Thanks for posting your build, my next builds are going to contain alot of hyd functions so im reading all these threads closely to see what I can learn(which thanks to kind people like yourself is quite abit).
As for your method of compressing the collar, could you make an attachment similar to these pliers (or modify them for this purpose )
http://www.banggood.com/Ball-Link-Pl...FY2CvQod0UAABg
That way your pressing from behind the fitting and thus not flaring the fitting.
Working in HCAV recently we had a suby do around 30 shody flare connections some were at 30degree some were correct at 45 but had the most tiny of scratches on the flare needless to say (and due to poor management) the system leaked, $15k + labour to fix, but honestly those scratches were so small it was unbelievable the connections failed, fyi those systems run around 300psi so its made me reevaluate our connections much more thoroughly - im still looking for an answer; and reinventing a square wheel im sure.
Also the kinked pipe you may want to swap out, while im unsure in hydraulics cavitation has caused huge issues for us in other systems and considering the pressures we're dealing with here i could envisage a frothy result.

avel 04-25-2014 10:27 PM

Luckily the kink is on the low pressure return side, but if I have problems I will replace it.
Also I was looking at different pliers today, and the pliers/type you linked to, are exactly what I was thinking of.

I found a pinion gear removal tool that I have, and I can use it to push the collars on. It rides up on the collar to about the second ridge, but applies the pressure to half of the circumference of the collar. Shaped like the Ball link pliers, a "U" shape.

I learned a lot while assembling this kit, and hope I don't have any leaks.

Wanted to add that it wasn't the hot glue that kinked it. To soften the tubing I had it in hot water and when I took it out I struggled to slip it over the nipple and held it against the corner of the valve block.

I actually do have another slight kink on the high pressure side going to the valve block because I stuck more of the tubing into the hot water than was needed. If I immerse that section in some hot water I am sure I can get the kink out. That one can cause cavitation like footprint said.

Lil Giants 04-25-2014 11:51 PM

Actually both P & T lines are high pressure b/c the returning oil to the tank has to go through the pressure relief valve before entering the reservoir. If there any question that the structural integrity of either hose has been compromised, change them now b/c it aint no fun cleaning oil from everything after a hose has exploded... BTDT :(

avel 04-26-2014 10:26 AM

LOL

Yeah that oil goes everywhere.