RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Need ideas for suspension lift (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=5028)

crazy4yachts 08-28-2012 06:51 PM

Need ideas for suspension lift

Hey guys I'm in the process of building my first custom rig,and I need some advice, I want to lift it so I can use some big off road super single tires that are about 4" in tall. Can anyone give me some ideas.

Thanks
crazy4yachts:confused:

russisloud 08-28-2012 11:00 PM

Re: Need ideas for suspension lift

lets see some pictures of the rig your working with, even if its just a mock up :p

crazy4yachts 08-29-2012 05:48 PM

There really isn't much to see all I have is the Tamiya frame with the front axle turned upside down ? at this point I'm just trying to get some ideas, one of the problems I see right now is the rear axles are to close together for tires that big I might try making some shims to pull the axles further apart ? but like I said this all new to me but at least I'm having fun.

Thanks
crazy4yachts :o

russisloud 08-30-2012 02:17 AM

how big are you tires?

elephants14 08-30-2012 03:56 PM

One thing I'm gonna have to do, I've got some 2.2" tires, and they just don't make it for the rear suspension. What I'm having to do is use the "front leaf springs" and get 2 sets, one for each axle. Another might be to make your own leafs for the rear, to use the same middle holder.

THanks
Cody

crazy4yachts 08-31-2012 06:00 PM

Hey Cody What does that mean 2.2 tires is that the wheel size that fits on the tire you are referring too ?:confused:

Thanks
Crazy4yachts

crazy4yachts 09-01-2012 07:56 PM

Ok I think I have the rear suspension worked out. I 'll try and put some pictures up. Now for the front suspension which is starting to wear me out trying to get it level from front to rear. I have spent about 4 hrs today trying to figure it out.:confused:

crazy4yachts

crazy4yachts 09-08-2012 12:43 PM

Ok so I don't have the rear suspension worked out like I thought. I have to start over .I'm trying different size tires right now. I bought some 1.7, 1.9, and 2.2 trying to get an idea of how they look, and how high I have to go with the lift on the rear. The front is fairly easy but the rear has me puzzled trying figure all the problems out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
crazy4yachts

Espeefan 09-08-2012 04:26 PM

What I would do is ditch the stock leaf spring pack, and build a new one. Or replace it with a solid piece of bar stock to act as an equalizing bar. 4 link the axles in place, and then you can make the links longer to get the spread you need between the axles, in order to run larger tires. If you're not sure what 4 link suspensions are, check out some rock crawlers on the internet.

crazy4yachts 09-09-2012 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I have so far just trying to get it right ?

crazy4yachts 09-09-2012 09:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sorry here's some more.

crazy4yachts

crazy4yachts 09-19-2012 07:28 PM

Well I ran into another problem with my suspension set up , How to run oversize tires with the stock Tamiya rear axle set up. I've come up with a solution I made small stainless steel brackets that go on top of the axles so I can use 1.9 4" super singles. I have about an inch clearance between the tires.

crazy4yachts

crazy4yachts 09-23-2012 01:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's what I've come up with so far

plow jockey 09-23-2012 01:59 PM

Looks good so far.Keeping it simple is the way to go.

crazy4yachts 09-23-2012 02:15 PM

Thanks Plow Jockey man this a real challenge but fun at the same time trying to figure it all out.

crazy4yachts 09-27-2012 09:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some more progress on the front set up.

crawler07 09-29-2012 12:11 AM

its looking good! i would maybe try to tie in some kind of bracing for the front leaf hangers,you could make a brace go from the right leaf mount to the left spring mount one for the front and one for the rear . if you dont i would say any real offroading might cause the mounts to fold up on a side hill..keep up the good work and remember the fun is in the build..

crazy4yachts 09-29-2012 11:01 AM

Thanks I'm working on cross braces for it I'm trying to get the drop angle right!

crazy4yachts 10-07-2012 06:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I had to remake the rear suspension brackets to have it sit level here's some up date pictures. I'm thinking about using different shocks not really sure yet ?

Crazy4yachts

crazy4yachts 10-08-2012 06:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I'm working on the front bumper mod I want to add a winch later.