RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Highway Trucks and Trailers (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My first build (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=5871)

dirthalr 12-30-2012 11:03 AM

My first build

5 Attachment(s)
Here is the start of my king hauler build. It's going to be quite the learning experience since I don't know much about these. The only thing I'm ok with is the trucks, since I've had diesel runing thru my veins since I was a kid.

Jimmy

Diesel Demond 12-30-2012 12:39 PM

Re: My first build

looks good man gotta start somewhere. took me about 3 years before i got my truck the way i wanted!

dmess62 12-30-2012 03:18 PM

good start to the work area and truck

dabears 12-30-2012 04:24 PM

looks like a great start!!! Like your work are as well!

dirthalr 01-04-2013 03:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Been waiting for parts, so in the mean time I made some monster exhaust.

Christo 01-05-2013 01:44 AM

That's the first time I've ever seen a work area built for a truck build. Nicely done ;)

Espeefan 01-05-2013 07:27 AM

Welcome to the forum! Good to see another Wisconsin member. It's about time we had some guys showing up from my state.

Off to a great start, I see! Your work area looks a lot nicer then mine, that's for sure, and congrats on the King Hauler.

dirthalr 01-05-2013 08:54 PM

thanks everyone

dirthalr 01-13-2013 03:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So I got a few parts in, and converted the single headlights to dual heads lights. Little more massaging of the fit and I'll have it.

thanks for looking
Jimmy

Dairyland Trucker 01-14-2013 03:33 AM

It is nice to see a fellow cheesehead on here, you have a good start on this build...

dirthalr 04-20-2013 04:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yep been awhile. Got new frame rails and added 3 inches, then I remade the monster exhaust. Wasn't 100% with the look and size of the copper pipe, so I went with some stainless and flush mount elbows. Made a front bumper with blind mounting, and made a drop visor out of stainless. Got some breathers from PMD. Need to figure out what to do for lights for the rear, maybe by then the weather will be warmer so paint can be in the future.

Espeefan 04-20-2013 04:19 PM

Looking good Jimmy! Got any more info on the stacks? Flush mount elbows? The visor sure turned out nice. How thick of metal did you use?

dirthalr 04-20-2013 05:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Espeefan (Post 84983)
Looking good Jimmy! Got any more info on the stacks? Flush mount elbows? The visor sure turned out nice. How thick of metal did you use?

Thanks Nate

The visor is 18 gauge or .050". The elbows don't have a hub or bell on them like copper. I believe they are called weldable elbows. The half in copper was 1/2" id. almost 5/8" od. The stainless is 1/2" od. I took a piece of aluminum about 4" long and turned it down so it fit snug inside the stainless. Then I let it hang out of the stainless 1/2" or so, and inserted the elbow, drilled through the elbow and tapped the aluminum using a 2mmx3mm screw to hold elbow to shaft. And by having 3.5" aluminum inside the stainless that let me drill and tap 3mm holes to fasten to truck. I was afraid that the stainless would be to thin to tap. You can kinda see my stainless/aluminum connector. Plus all I need to do is polish, not send the copper out for chrome. I did end face the exhaust pipes in the lathe so the joints where tight.
Hope that helps.
Jimmy

BRICKNICK 04-20-2013 06:33 PM

She's looking great, you'll get her where you want her eventually. I'm going on three years and my first truck is just about there, and the second one is getting some progress.

Petedrivinman 04-20-2013 06:35 PM

nice looking truck and exhaust,what color are you painting her

Espeefan 04-20-2013 06:46 PM

Good thinking Jimmy. I didn't know such elbows existed for stainless tube. Had I know that, I might have thought about giving that a try instead of copper tube.

dirthalr 04-20-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petedrivinman (Post 84995)
nice looking truck and exhaust,what color are you painting her

I'm thinking florescent brown.....lol. Not sure on color yet.

dirthalr 04-20-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Espeefan (Post 84997)
Good thinking Jimmy. I didn't know such elbows existed for stainless tube. Had I know that, I might have thought about giving that a try instead of copper tube.

Thanks Nate

dirthalr 04-20-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRICKNICK (Post 84994)
She's looking great, you'll get her where you want her eventually. I'm going on three years and my first truck is just about there, and the second one is getting some progress.

Thanks

Bigrigger 04-21-2013 04:18 PM

Are those headlight bezels the ones from PMD? The build is certainly coming along quickly! :D