RC Truck and Construction

RC Truck and Construction (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/index.php)
-   Highway Trucks and Trailers (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1st time rc build (https://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=4675)

dmess62 06-25-2012 03:26 PM

1st time rc build

Hey guys my name is Dave I'm from southern Indiana, and I just ordered my first truck a King Hauler. Gotta feed the piggybank some more so I can get a radio and rest of electronics. I know I'll need a 4 channel incase I add an MFU later on, but Iam lost when it comes to brands of radios esc's batteries etc. Being new to the hobby I am looking for something not too complicated or confusing to use, but have good options as experience and funding get better.
I appreciate any comments questions and suggestions

Dave

woodhog 06-25-2012 06:02 PM

Re: 1st time rc build

a lot of guys like the spectrum radios,a dx6 would be a good start:)

dabears 06-25-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodhog (Post 59381)
a lot of guys like the spectrum radios,a dx6 would be a good start:)

I second that.. If budget allows alot of people like the dx7 or dx8. I bought the dx5e and outgrew it before my truck is even fully done.. The key thing to think of is what your going to do with the truck in the future, what trailers you will want.. A truck with mfu and a dump trailer you want no less then 6 channels. So brand or model is all up to you spektrum is a nice radio.

doodlebug 06-25-2012 11:59 PM

Welcome aboard!

Cheer's, Neil.

Sargen 06-26-2012 01:23 AM

I bought a DX6, then changed my mind a got a rsd8000. Your welcome to the DX6 if that's the direction you'd like to go.

tc1cat 06-26-2012 08:14 AM

Welcome to a GREAT hobby:D The Spectrum radios are one of the best radios out there. One of the best features of the Spectrum's is its model memory. You only need 1 transmitter with multiple receivers to run a bunch a trucks. Really is a money saver in the long run. I would say that most people try to low ball the initial truck only to find out it really does pay to get the best you can afford or even splurge on the radio with future builds in mind. Also keep this in mind if you want to install an MFU in the truck. Much simpler to do as you build the truck than after it is built.

PLEASE do not for get some type of gear reduction unit for the truck. I doubt if I would still be messing with the trucks if I wouldn't have taken peoples advise and installed a GRU in my trucks. You go from a race truck to something that is closer to true scale speed and much easier to drive for very little money.

dmess62 06-26-2012 09:21 AM

Thanks for all the advice. Like I said I'm new to the RC hobby, so I'm sure I'll have alot of questions. There are so many nice builds on here its hard to decide what direction I want to go when I can start customizing it.

rc_farmer 06-26-2012 08:38 PM

Someone mentioned the RDS8000, I co-sign on that radio. It is very easy to program, 10 model memory and it works with the MFU.

Sargen 06-26-2012 10:12 PM

I suggested the Airtronics RDS8000. Just make sure you get the crawler version, it has dual centering sticks.

dmess62 06-27-2012 03:58 PM

Its supposed to be over 100 degrees here tomorrow, but it feels like xmas. Just picked up my king hauler and some electrtonics for it. Now to put it all together

Smiley 06-27-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmess62 (Post 59466)
Its supposed to be over 100 degrees here tomorrow, but it feels like xmas. Just picked up my king hauler and some electrtonics for it. Now to put it all together

Its 103 here right now lol :-) . congrats on the truck

Keith

SWAGGER 06-27-2012 05:31 PM

Welcome aboard and good luck!

dmess62 06-30-2012 02:04 PM

Am I missing something does the king hauler come with servos for steering and shifting, or have misplaced them somewhere

tc1cat 06-30-2012 02:57 PM

The King Hauler kitis just the mechanics. No electronics at all. You get the servos with your radio or buy them seperately.

Diesel Demond 06-30-2012 08:56 PM

i also like the rds 8000 it is easy to use once u figure it out

dmess62 07-01-2012 05:03 PM

So ran into a few set backs today. I got everything to a roller. I bought a 55T motor when I went to instaall it didnt have the wires to plug it in.So I installed the original motor to test it out. The on/off switch for esc is differentthan in manual and I cant mount it on the rear catwalk. The leads for the motor are too short to reach the esc in factory mount location. The motor trans setup sits too far forward and hits the steering servo. The steering servo keeps losing center, not sure if when mounting the horn if I am turning the gears or something. So when I got everything into a "running" roller and turned on the moto just whines, doesnt go forward or reverse. A couple of times it started to go into gear but sounded like the trans slipping.
So I decided enough for one day, and put it up. Trying to read of on trans/receiver info some more, but it might as well be in Dutch. Also not much info on receivers. It has a small box with wires like its wireless, and the manual for truck has an antenna lead.
Neded to do some more research This is all new to me

dabears 07-01-2012 05:46 PM

Can you post pics of the roller? that'll help us see what your talking about. The gear issue sounds like a trim adjustment in your controller maybe? Did you align the motor sprocket teeth to the gear properly in the Trans? Pics would deff help

dmess62 07-02-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabears (Post 59701)
Can you post pics of the roller? that'll help us see what your talking about. The gear issue sounds like a trim adjustment in your controller maybe? Did you align the motor sprocket teeth to the gear properly in the Trans? Pics would deff help

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/...2/100_0647.jpg

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/...2/100_0637.jpg

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/...2/100_0643.jpg

dabears 07-03-2012 08:59 AM

That's about how close my motor it's to my servos it's a tight squeeze. Looks like a great start so far though. Did you get the motor and Trans working together yet? Double check your servo rod lengths I know I had to adjust none having a similar issue

dmess62 07-05-2012 01:35 AM

Well made some progress today. Pulled the trans out to double check everything like was suggested, and operator error, so after tearing part of the trans out and putting it back together the way it was supposed to be worked a lot better. 1st gear still not consistent, need to do some tweaking there. Then when i went to test drive I pushed the throttle stick forward nothing, but when i pulled it backwards it went foward. Need to find a way to turn the stick sensitivity down throttle real jumpy. Next is to install the Novak 55T motor in it. Still considering a GRU also. Thats all for now. Dave